Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 06:04 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times

Advertisements

hay!!!> i saw a huge space ship last night!!!! and that sucker was at least this long---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------!!!!

no realy it was huge, cant remember exact lenth but it was at least this long------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- three weeks later, someone asked me if i saw the large space ship?, and said it was about this long-------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 06:05 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,970,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaida View Post
Having a conversation with an invisible being and expecting others to take it as something real and holy is delusional.
It's only delusional to someone who has no knowledge of the God of the Bible.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:23 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur
So you think that the children have warped minds and are just imagining starving, suffering and dieing? That it their choice to do so? If that is what you think then my respect for you is gone.
I listed three reasons behind suffering, only one of which was the mind warping things. Examples of the mind warping things that lead to suffering are feeling like you never have enough when you have plenty, wanting chocolate ice cream but there's only vanilla and strawberry. Another example of something we all do is put our own interpretation and understanding on other people's words. We don't do it intentionally or maliciously, but we are all looking through the lenses of our own past experience. Sometimes it's just a miscommunication. I never said directly that the children starving are starving because of their warped minds. I was listing that as one of the reasons people suffer, and by no means do I see a direct link between that and the starving children in Africa. It's not like A in NYC's inability to see that he created his own problems will cause B in Africa to go hungry. Such a direct link was not intended. I was listing the mind warping things as one of the reasons why we suffer in general--but I didn't mean to imply that it is the reason each starving child is starving. I apologize if it came across that way.

Quote:
And this my friend is no answer at all....Just a lot of gibberish.
That explains the misunderstanding above. I can see how what I said would make no sense if you don't believe in souls.

Quote:
First I don't believe souls exist. Secondly dieing of starvation certainly is suffering; about the worst kind I can imagine...There is NO choice for these kids. Your words are a prime example of the destructive results of supernatural beliefs, and an excuse to sit on your hands while millions die unimaginably horrible deaths
I guess we have to just agree to disagree here. I believe in souls and I believe in the Law of Attraction. We can attract anything we want into our lives. It's just a matter of realizing that personal power. All of us can--even the starving children in Africa. By no means do I claim that it is easy to realize this. It's much easier to see ourselves as victims of suffering, and we are, until we know better. But "knowing better" requires departing from the victim mentality, which is hard for many people. Who wants to believe that they were suffering when they didn't have to be? But once you accept that you can put the Law of Attraction to good use and completely change your life around.

Quote:
I don't know what to say to this, except that it is a steaming and smelly load of bull crap…
Why the need for insulting? What does it accomplish?

Quote:
Well I can tell you...The children are suffering and dieing because they lack enough food to keep them alive...A situation in which they have NO choice
The thing is we do have a choice--most people just don't realize it. Our mind is very powerful. If you meditate on something you can attract it into your life. If you don't believe it--just give it a (real, honest) shot. Once you master that ability, you realize that life doesn't control you--you control it. This is something we have yet to realize as a planet, and it's why we, on a planetary level, have so much suffering. Note that I am not just speaking on the individual level here--but on the level of the planet as a whole.

Quote:
Try going without food for a month, then get back to me and tell me that suffering is an illusion...I do not blame god, because there cannot be a god that would allow this.
I will freely admit I haven't gone without food for a month. But I have suffered in ways that most people would deem completely insurmountable and say that there's "nothing that can be done." Yet there is. The mind is a powerful tool.

Quote:
Back to talking about yourself I see....I'd sooner eat dead maggots than believe in your tyrant god. It boggles my mind how people like you can dismiss the suffering in this world as an aspect of "God's love"...To me that is some kind of sickness of the mind.
I don't see how I am talking about myself--if anything I am talking about you. I just hope the best for you and hope that you can feel the wonderful peace and love that is God. I don't believe in a tyrant God. God is love. Suffering isn't imposed on us by God. Suffering is imposed on us by ourselves and by other people. Suffering as an aspect of "God's love" is pretty much the complete opposite of what I believe.

I think we ought to just agree to disagree from here. Your replies lead me to believe that you misunderstood what I was saying and just resorted to insults instead. We're not really getting anywhere so I see no reason to continue our discussion.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:12 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
How have I insulted you? All I have done is give my opinions of your beliefs and your god...

This one in particular where I have highlighted it in red.
Quote:
On the realm of God, there is no need for prioritization. Problems don't need to be classified because they can be dealt with simultaneously. There is also no victimhood. All suffering can be overcome with our own personal power, because each of us contains within us God's power. We are God's creation and in us shines God's light, and it's just a matter of letting that light shine through.
Here you are telling me that those starving kids are not victims and have the power to overcome their situation...Care to tell me how they can do that? Your god sure as hell can't seem to do it. The more I see statements like yours above the less respect I have for your god beliefs...This is not an insult....It is the way I feel.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
How have I insulted you? All I have done is give my opinions of your beliefs and your god...

Here you are telling me that those starving kids are not victims and have the power to overcome their situation...Care to tell me how they can do that? Your god sure as hell can't seem to do it. The more I see statements like yours above the less respect I have for your god beliefs...This is not an insult....It is the way I feel.
No, you didn't insult me personally. I was asking why the need to lead to insults in general?

I said on the realm of God. It's a whole different dimension of reality. I am not talking about Earth. But we can achieve that reality. We aren't there yet, though. That's why suffering and victimhood still exist on Earth.

I think maybe you are misunderstanding me, or maybe I am not articulating well. But it just seems like there is a huge discrepancy between when I state something and you paraphrase it.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
No, you didn't insult me personally. I was asking why the need to lead to insults in general?

I said on the realm of God. It's a whole different dimension of reality. I am not talking about Earth. But we can achieve that reality. We aren't there yet, though. That's why suffering and victimhood still exist on Earth.

I think maybe you are misunderstanding me, or maybe I am not articulating well. But it just seems like there is a huge discrepancy between when I state something and you paraphrase it.
Yes, we are misunderstanding one another. I am talking about reality and you are talking mythology, and it is NOT a different dimension of reality...I like mythology too, but manage to realize that it is not real. Gods (all gods) live in the realm of the mind (imagination) as far as I'm concerned and have nothing whatever to do with anything that transpires on this earth...

Regarding the millions of starving in the world, they can only be helped by compassionate people, and simply giving money for food is only temporary and not enough, but for now that is all I can do. Relying on god to help is a fool's errand.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:11 PM

Being compassionate is being with God. I think you are caught up in my use of the word God. I am by no means talking about the jealous, controlling God outlined in the Bible. When I say God, I mean love, compassion, understanding, altruism, joy, peace. God is by definition those things. So in that sense, we agree. You believe we need love and compassion, and I believe God IS love and compassion--so to be united with God is to express those things. We're essentially saying the same thing, just with different words.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:46 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

You respond to a members' comment with, "I don't know what to say to this, except that it is a steaming and smelly load of bull crap..."

Wow! You are some piece of work dude! You don't know that 99.9% of the people in this world would consider that an insulting response?
MOF, many people I have known in my life...if you said that to their face...they'd make sure if you said it again in the next six weeks, you'd be doing it through clenched teeth...because you would have needed your broken jaw wired shut while it healed.

Why are you so rude and nasty? What is your problem?

Old 02-21-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You respond to a members' comment with, "I don't know what to say to this, except that it is a steaming and smelly load of bull crap..."

Wow! You are some piece of work dude! You don't know that 99.9% of the people in this world would consider that an insulting response?
MOF, many people I have known in my life...if you said that to their face...they'd make sure if you said it again in the next six weeks, you'd be doing it through clenched teeth...because you would have needed your broken jaw wired shut while it healed.

Why are you so rude and nasty? What is your problem?
You tell me. You're the expert.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:06 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Trying here to figure out how else to interpret it when the specific question about babies starving is answered with references to things like Law of Attraction
Quote from nimchimsky: " It's just a matter of realizing that personal power. All of us can--even the starving children in Africa"
Trying to figure out how a 3 month old...even a 2 year old.... develops this ability.
Too bad they don't live long enough to be whatever your age is so they can earn and receive such blessings as you have,huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality