Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 10:22 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,294 times

Advertisements

Since patience or tolerance comes from an ability to remain steadfast, to avoid being overwhelmed by adverse situations or conditions, we should not see patience as a sign of weakness or giving in, but rather as a sign of strength. Responding to a trying situation with patience and tolerance rather than reacting with anger and hatred involves active restraint, which arises from a strong, self-disciplined mind.
-HH The Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 06:02 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Since patience or tolerance comes from an ability to remain steadfast, to avoid being overwhelmed by adverse situations or conditions, we should not see patience as a sign of weakness or giving in, but rather as a sign of strength. Responding to a trying situation with patience and tolerance rather than reacting with anger and hatred involves active restraint, which arises from a strong, self-disciplined mind.
-HH The Dalai Lama
For Christians that would be the least of their worries. They are meek, they turn the other cheek, they walk the extra mile, they do unto others as they would want that person to do to them, they love their neighbors, they love their enemies, they pray for those who curse and despise them, if sued in court for their coat they voluntarily give cloak. Patience is a no brainer.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:22 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I havr little patience with this sort of thing.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:42 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I've never thought of patience and tolerence as anything more than very desirable qualities, both which I strive to maintain. I never even considered that they might be seen as weaknesses rather than strenghts.Responding without anger and hatred ,(to me) does not involve the least bit of active restraint, in fact active restraint (I beleive) would take a lot more of my energy.......catman.....I must admit ...I got a good chuckle from your post.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:36 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
I need to use the patience prayer a lot:

"God grant me patience, and hurry up !"

Old 02-20-2011, 09:41 PM

912 posts, read 827,134 times
patience becomes a chief concern when managed without patience...impatience is learned and in result, a lack of self patience emerges. with a lack of self patience it is difficult to extend patience itself.

belief systems which focus punishment in motivation rather than inspiration are....without inspiration.... but with punishment.......

.not surprisingly.. impatience is the root of punishment....so....logically, a belief system cannot advocate both patience as well punishment...

make up your minds which directive you fancy

Last edited by Blue Hue; 02-20-2011 at 09:54 PM..

Old 02-20-2011, 11:42 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
The Dalai Lama does have a talent for issuing 'wise' statements, although they are basically truisms for any contemplative person. Still, I'll give credit where it is due; what he says is more helpful than what most public figures say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality