Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What religion do you practice?
Christian 22 22.68%
Catholic 9 9.28%
Atheist 27 27.84%
agnostic 13 13.40%
Theism 3 3.09%
taoism 1 1.03%
Muslim 7 7.22%
Spiritual/other 21 21.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 06:48 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times

Advertisements

Pffft, where's the Mormon (LDS) poll option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 07:03 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
They left out a few religions.......... Stinks

Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
It's there, right along with Methodist, Episcopalian, Lutheran, Baptist, Pentacostal, etc.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:25 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
The very fact that an atheist can deny the existence of supermaterial realities in and of itself demonstrates the presence, and indicates the working, of spirit synthesis and cosmic consciuusness in his human mind.
And the very fact that you have never seen the Invisible Pink Unicorn demonstrates that She exists and is invisible.

Logic fail!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
Atheism is not a religion, but it is a form of belief in spirituality. Some Christians and Catholics claim to not be the other, so out of respect to that I kept them separate.
I've been around a long time and I have yet to hear a Catholic claim to not be a Christian.

If you know someone who claims to be a Catholic but not a Christian then that person is neither.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:51 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
And the very fact that you have never seen the Invisible Pink Unicorn demonstrates that She exists and is invisible.

Logic fail!
To build a philosophy of the universe on an exclusive materialism is to ignore the fact that all things material are initially conceived as real in the experience of human consciuosness. The observer cannot be the thing observed; evaluation demands some degree of transcendence of the thing which is evaluated. Even the Invisible Pink Unicorn's existence or non-existence.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:06 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Strange you didn't put Jewish on your poll.................
No not strange, I simply forgot it.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
This is just silly. Atheism is not a life path. Secular humanism is, and many atheists become humanists, but not all. Stop trying to make atheism more than it is - it is nothing more or less than believing that there is no god(s) or deities. It has no other position. It does not offer a view of how one should live one's life. It is silent about the origin of the universe. Science has something to say about the origin of the universe and of species and many atheists are scientists, but not all.

So, if you are looking for a guiding principle, one has to go beyond atheism, because it offers none. If one is looking for a belief about how the universe began, one will not find it in atheism. Again, atheism ONLY means not believing in gods, that is it, end of story, period.

Most Buddhists are atheist by definition, yet they have their own guiding principles different from secular humanism.

Look, do you believe in fairies? No? Then you are an afairist. Is your guiding principle the disbelief in fairies? Tell me how does not believing in fairies guide your life, what moral decisions does it help you make? Does your afairism give you a cogent model of how the universe came to be and how we came to have the great diversity among living organisms?

Atheism is not a package deal. We atheists don't all believe the same thing. The only thing we all have in common is the disbelief in gods. Atheism is not a religion, period.
To say athiesm is silent regarding the origins of the universe is a joke. Athiests have a major opinion when it comes to religion. It also does have a position on religion and religious practices. Why do athiests care so much about people believing in a God(s) or practicing their faith? I know most people would say they only care because religious people shove it down our throats. Again, that is only a select few. The vast majority of religious people could care less about what you believe in.

I know several people who are atheists who live to prove religion wrong and to end it for everyone. There are even major organizations, protest groups, charity events and groups that are all atheists, the live as atheistic as possible. Many would say that being an atheist is a way of life.

Look up the definition of religion. Atheism is a religion that just doesnt believe in a god, period.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
i was a Christian then i became a Muslim.
Just curious, what drew you to becoming Muslim?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I forgot it. If I could edit the poll I would. I apologize if I offended in anyway. I did not mean to leave out any religions. There are literally hundreds to list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality