Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:20 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You are right, there is no where in the Bible that says the OT is invalid. The truth of the OT (and all the Bible) transcends through time. God got it right the first time,there is no redo.
Good thoughts, ILNC. Actually, the book of Galations in the New Testament and to some extent the book of Hebrews gives IMO a pretty good overview of why God gave the Old Testament law and now we have a new covenant. Galations is a short book and would explain a lot to anyone having questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 08:24 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Good thoughts, ILNC. Actually, the book of Galations in the New Testament and to some extent the book of Hebrews gives IMO a pretty good overview of why God gave the Old Testament law and now we have a new covenant. Galations is a short book and would explain a lot to anyone having questions.
i agree...mandantory characters....mandantaory charactors..

Old 07-23-2007, 09:42 AM

358 posts, read 916,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post

Regarding the OP, the Bible states the Jesus fulfilled the law.
Torah says that a few things will occur when the Messiah comes to earth, and unfortunately, those things have never occurred, including:

Literal peace on Earth. Unfortunately, there are wars and fighting still occurring.

Everyone, regardless of religion, will recognize the Messiah. Although Christians recognize Jesus as the Messiah, other religions do not.

Buildling the third Temple. At the current time, the only way that will happen is to build it over the sight of Al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem. (Muslims like to build their mosques over the holy sites of other religions)

The list goes on. Jesus contradicts the Torah, which says that all mitzvot (those 613 commandments, including the original ten) "remain binding forever, and anyone coming to change the Torah is immediately identified as a false prophet. (Deut. 13:1-4)"

http://www.aish.com/spirituality/philosophy/Why_Dont_Jews_Believe_In_Jesus$.asp

If one follows Torah, one cannot accept Jesus as a messiah. Judaism isn't based on belief; it's based on following Torah. Thus, "what is supposed to happen when the Messiah reaches earth" has not happened.

To make it absolutely clear, the above is only stating why Jesus was not the fulfillment of Torah. Judaism does not at all condemn people who do not follow Torah.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:57 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
If one follows Torah, one cannot accept Jesus as a messiah. Judaism isn't based on belief; it's based on following Torah.
So you are following something you don't believe in? What's the point?

Old 07-23-2007, 10:40 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,188 times
Quote:
Torah says that a few things will occur when the Messiah comes to earth, and unfortunately, those things have never occurred, including:

Literal peace on Earth. Unfortunately, there are wars and fighting still occurring.

Everyone, regardless of religion, will recognize the Messiah. Although Christians recognize Jesus as the Messiah, other religions do not.

Buildling the third Temple. At the current time, the only way that will happen is to build it over the sight of Al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem. (Muslims like to build their mosques over the holy sites of other religions)

The list goes on. Jesus contradicts the Torah, which says that all mitzvot (those 613 commandments, including the original ten) "remain binding forever, and anyone coming to change the Torah is immediately identified as a false prophet. (Deut. 13:1-4)"

http://www.aish.com/spirituality/philosophy/Why_Dont_Jews_Believe_In_Jesus$.asp

If one follows Torah, one cannot accept Jesus as a messiah. Judaism isn't based on belief; it's based on following Torah. Thus, "what is supposed to happen when the Messiah reaches earth" has not happened.

To make it absolutely clear, the above is only stating why Jesus was not the fulfillment of Torah. Judaism does not at all condemn people who do not follow Torah.
Hi, I love Jazz...I feel like we are somehow related!

Wanted to comment...but I'm sure you've heard this before. The things you are describing (peace, recognition, third temple) is referring (according to Christianity) to Christ's second coming. His first coming was for the sin of the world.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
So you are following something you don't believe in?
Of course not. I can't imagine following Torah if one didn't believe in it!

Old 07-23-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Of course not. I can't imagine following Torah if one didn't believe in it!
You said it wasn't based on belief...

Old 07-23-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Hi, I love Jazz...I feel like we are somehow related!

[/quote]Wanted to comment...but I'm sure you've heard this before. The things you are describing (peace, recognition, third temple) is referring (according to Christianity) to Christ's second coming. His first coming was for the sin of the world.[/quote]

I know that is the Christian's explanation of why Jesus did not fulfill the requirements for a Messiah. However, the Torah does not speak of a second coming. It simply says that when the Messiah comes, the things (I mentioned earlier) will occur. Therefore, there is no need for a second arrival.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
You said it wasn't based on belief...
From what I gather, Christianity is based on believing that Jesus is the Messiah. Is that correct? Therefore, "belief" is the number one requirement.

Judaism is not based on belief of any person. It's based on following the commandments of the Torah. Therefore, it isn't just enough to believe in the Torah. We must follow its commandments.

Thus, Christians just have to believe. Jews have to follow commandments. (It isn't easy being Jewish!)

Old 07-23-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
From what I gather, Christianity is based on believing that Jesus is the Messiah. Is that correct? Therefore, "belief" is the number one requirement.

Judaism is not based on belief of any person. It's based on following the commandments of the Torah. Therefore, it isn't just enough to believe in the Torah. We must follow its commandments.

Thus, Christians just have to believe. Jews have to follow commandments. (It isn't easy being Jewish!)
Christians also must follow commandments. Just not as legalistic as Judaism, I guess.

My confusion stems from your statement that "Judaism isn't based on belief; it's based on following Torah."

Don't you believe in the Torah, otherwise, why would you follow it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality