Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:46 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
Actually, they can't be proven wrong. You think that because something doesn't have "evidence" that it can't be real. Logic doesn't come close to explaining away religious belief, neither does reason.

Science, though many believe it has, has not disproved any religion.

Something that cannot be seen, cannot be proven to exist or not to exist. So, then you say that logic would tell us that it doesn't exist. Wrong! All logic would tell us is that it cannot be proven right or wrong at this time.
Au contraire, kiddo. Science has disproved legions of biblical ideas and religious necessities, especially as we've rounded the corner into the home stretch, here in the year 2011. DNA mapping & lineage genetics, dating of ancient geology and universe, the Hubble space scope, and so on, all have essentially put to bed all those nagging Christian and Islamic necessities. Finally, incontrovertibly and irrefutably. If that doesn't dispense with the absolutism and denialism of org-religion, nothing will. Fortunately, it has and will continue to do so. Nolo contendere [no contest...]. As QH notes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
On the contrary, religions can easily be, and have been proven false. The human origins of the Bible and Christianity have been quite clearly proven through historical and archaeological evidence. There is very little doubt that the Biblical god is no more real than Zeus, Jupiter or any of the earlier Sumerian gods he was based upon. The pagan origins of Christianity are not really debatable, either.

If there is a universal creator it is/they are far less absurd and far more rational and intelligent being than the god(s) of the Bible/Abrahamic religions.
Exactimondo, QH. when considered en mass, and in toto, the Christian construct is far too convenient yet incomplete to be easily accepted by those of us with an iota of skeptical thinking abilities. You have to as blindered and easily convinced as a kindergartner to just go for it, hook, line & toxic-lead sinker.

As well, and again, I ask those who like raison's last post, above:

Why? Why do we necessarily need to have "a reason for the narrative", for what's around us? What does that "explanation", especially when or if it's not on the money, have to contribute?

There are obviously those who desperately need a "greater explanation", those who endlessly ask "why are we here"" or some such conundra.

I'd say that we're here because we're here. The good stuff survives, and the bad stuff extinguishes itself! Simple, huh? A sort of universe-sized Evolution experiment made to order! [And please; you can quote me on that quote! Get the spelling right though:: r...i...f...l...e...m...a...n, © 2011] and that's that.

And in the meantime, for some of us, there's a lot of interesting questions to be asked and answered, absent some artificial and limiting overlay. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 07:15 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Who created God?
Toyota Mfg. Co., Inc.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:21 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,772 times
Quote:
Actually, they can't be proven wrong. You think that because something doesn't have "evidence" that it can't be real. Logic doesn't come close to explaining away religious belief, neither does reason.

Stand by to cast all your silly mythology in the trash bin.

Reason and fact explain "religious beliefs".

Here we go, hang on tight, 'cause its going to sting a bit.

People are born, they live, and then they die. They completely and totally die with no "part" of them continuing on. In other words, man is "mortal".

People have a hard time facing that fact, i.e. that someday they will die, and that will have been it for them, so they have to invent some sort of life after death - beit reincarnation, happy hunting ground in the sky, heaven, paradise or whatever. That "belief" (or, rather, deceit) can't exist in a vacum, so they invent a context to hold it in, i.e. religion.

I say, man-up, face your mortality, life a good life and then accept death. Life is so much more meaningful and unconfused when you accept that reality, and cast the religion mumbo jumbo out of the window.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:17 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
So how does Mr Smartypants Hawking explain the tides then. They come in and out. Never a miscommunication
Ever hear of GRAVITY!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:32 PM

593 posts, read 890,197 times
Hawkins is a respectable genius ,but then so is Das yeah! I discovered that God created gravity, magnatism , physics,planet alignment,big,bang,and the entire solar system and the whatever else pleases Him or tickles His fancy.

Das

Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
Hawkins is a respectable genius ,but then so is Das yeah! I discovered that God created gravity, magnatism , physics,planet alignment,big,bang,and the entire solar system and the whatever else pleases Him or tickles His fancy.

Das
And how did you make that discovery? I'm sure the explanation must be fairly enlightening.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
Stand by to cast all your silly mythology in the trash bin.

Reason and fact explain "religious beliefs".

Here we go, hang on tight, 'cause its going to sting a bit.

People are born, they live, and then they die. They completely and totally die with no "part" of them continuing on. In other words, man is "mortal".

People have a hard time facing that fact, i.e. that someday they will die, and that will have been it for them, so they have to invent some sort of life after death - beit reincarnation, happy hunting ground in the sky, heaven, paradise or whatever. That "belief" (or, rather, deceit) can't exist in a vacum, so they invent a context to hold it in, i.e. religion.

I say, man-up, face your mortality, life a good life and then accept death. Life is so much more meaningful and unconfused when you accept that reality, and cast the religion mumbo jumbo out of the window.
Prove that nothing happens after you die. Prove that there is no afterlife.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:51 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,089 times
Quote:
Err no that is not how it works. The one making the positive claim should do the proving.

See here in SA, the sky is green - prove me wrong.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:40 AM

570 posts, read 733,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
God did not create the universe, world-famous physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book that aims to banish a divine creator from physics.
Hawking says in his book "The Grand Design" that, given the existence of gravity, "the universe can and will create itself from nothing," according to an excerpt published Thursday in The Times of London.
"Spontaneous creation is the reason why there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," he writes in the excerpt.

Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe - CNN

Indeed
He admits that there is such thing as create itself from nothing .. but if you ask him about god he will say who creat god ?!!!!!
a perfect example of contradiction !!
it's not worth it .

Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 AM

646 posts, read 634,164 times
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Err no that is not how it works. The one making the positive claim should do the proving.
Question:
What "positive claim" did fractured_kidult make?
Quote:
See here in SA, the sky is green - prove me wrong.
Is that a "positive claim?"
Then, according to your stated standard, YOU must prove it.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality