Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:27 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times

Advertisements

One cannot change the past, one can only learn from it and hopefully not make the same mistakes.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 01:48 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
or will she sleep, and fiddle, and placate, and pacify.......will she continue to fear any one who mentions the Ten Commandment...........yeah!.....maybe as long as the message is allowed to be twisted and changed...why can't we see that .

Why does America need a Spiritual wake up call? Is the country's morality suffering due to lack of spirituality? I see you mentioned the ten commandments so I assume that you think the country needs to adopt or follow a christian moral code. Why do you think that the religious or spiritual are more moral than non-believers? The ONLY commandments that one NEEDS follow are:

You shall not murder

You shall not steal

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor

Adultery and honoring your parents are your own business.

The rest are rubbish.

The bottom line is we all should treat each other like we wish to be treated. We don't need religion or to be spiritual for that.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:48 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,426 times
Default the way I mean? how did you take it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Hopefully not in the way you mean.............
I am thinking we need , pure, honest , tough, focused , powerful, correct, insightful leadership, committed to.........the idea that we can occupy until the end..........

Old 02-28-2011, 02:50 PM

661 posts, read 1,183,601 times
Will America experience a Spiritual wake up call?

If you mean a Christian resurgence, lets hope not!

It's crazy enough now with their abject hatred of abortion, yet completely contradictory to that, their love of guns and sending the 'unaborted' off to war as soon as they're old enough.

Now a bit of Buddhism might have a positive effect....

Old 02-28-2011, 02:54 PM

Default I accept that as true..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
One cannot change the past, one can only learn from it and hopefully not make the same mistakes.....
It is a Biblical principle on which the world and the Church can agree ....?

Old 02-28-2011, 03:03 PM

Default much of Christianity agrees with the Buddist.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Will America experience a Spiritual wake up call?

If you mean a Christian resurgence, lets hope not!

It's crazy enough now with their abject hatred of abortion, yet completely contradictory to that, their love of guns and sending the 'unaborted' off to war as soon as they're old enough.

Now a bit of Buddhism might have a positive effect....
THERE IS NO Law against love, joy, peace, forgiveness, forbearance, treating yourself and others in a spirit of goodness or not in this country, within certain parameters. But certain rules of civility are expected and inforced even on a Posted Thread.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:13 PM

Default I am not going to call Moes a Liar..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Why does America need a Spiritual wake up call? Is the country's morality suffering due to lack of spirituality? I see you mentioned the ten commandments so I assume that you think the country needs to adopt or follow a christian moral code. Why do you think that the religious or spiritual are more moral than non-believers? The ONLY commandments that one NEEDS follow are:

You shall not murder

You shall not steal

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor

Adultery and honoring your parents are your own business.

The rest are rubbish.

The bottom line is we all should treat each other like we wish to be treated. We don't need religion or to be spiritual for that.
I just read and watch..........some group of rebellious people who spent 40 years in the wilderness had certain traits that I have tried to put out of my life...........The Ten Commandments were rejected by them......probably has nothing to do with you, but it has a lot to do with me.

Last edited by bluescityleon; 02-28-2011 at 04:26 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 03:23 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default The Big Hippo-Crisy in the Room!

Or my favorite bits of hypocrisy: the intended enforcement of a strict but vastly outdated Christian moral code (subject to their interpretation of course, as to gays, stem cell science, the teaching of a non-scientific subject [Creationism] in a science class, mandatory school prayers and so on) on a highly diverse population. This is no longer the 1950s, and this country, America, is not some homogenized version of 1962 Alabama any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
I am thinking we need , pure, honest , tough, focused , powerful, correct, insightful leadership, committed to.........the idea that we can occupy until the end..........
Yep. But those things are certainly not the exclusive purvue of Christianity. In fact, many admirable virtues have been catagorically abandoned by Christian "upper management": "correct", "insightful", or ihows about "honest" and "open-minded". And what's this "occupying to the end" phrase mean, Just curious.

Just FYI: we humans are but a "transitional" species in a long line of evolutionary critters. Our future social developments will continue to be quite diverse and disrupted since it is, after all, a big and ever-changing cultural petri dish trying to contain an exponentially growing population that is also rapidly and contemptuously depleting our limited resources. This will result in there being no one simple social structure model that can easily guide us, all peaceful and loving-like, through the upcoming trials and tribulations (And NO!, not THAT Tribulation... sigh...).

Additionally, of course, we may very well go quite extinct (with no salvation by any Godz) due to our own hubris, greed or religious fanatacism, or from some uncontrollable outside force like a big meteorite. Or Al Gore™'s perilous thinking.

And so then, what is now a lesser beastie, like say, a modified lemur, may rise up and start all over again. But this time, our successors may develop enough scientific knowledge, logic and humility to avoid the trap of succumbing to an unthinking belief in some omnipotent mythical Godz, and we'll therefore have a big leg up over how it worked out so badly for us humans.

One can only hope, huh??

Last edited by rifleman; 02-28-2011 at 03:32 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 03:37 PM

Default Read This Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I think what you're seeing is that this generation of young people are not going to be swayed to easily into believing something just arbitrarily, with the technology that we have today and the availability of information that there is on the Internet they're not going to believe any particular religion just because somebody says so, they're questioning and that's good and that's been the problem that organized religion has had throughout its history, they didn't want you to know anything except what they were willing to tell you. When Gutenberg invented the printing press and first started printing copies of the Bible that was the beginning of the ordinary populace gaining knowledge and that was the beginning of questioning. So the more knowledge you obtain the more you learn and the more you learn, the more you question.
I think this is a valid idea .Martin Luther's Demands changed the world......and it was apparently the printing press who gets the credit. The struggle that followed had many implications..........Organized groups , I have observed, tend to send the messages to their prospective members , that the Group has Special knowledge they will share with you under certain circumstances.........and entitle you to special privileges and benefits. Just like method used when selling a product.......an emotional appeal is substituted for facts in some cases. I try to examine both. Emotional decisions are suspect to me..but facts are in the eye of the beholder..There is little agreement on facts and when there seems to be ,I become most suspect...that is an observation I have made in reading these pages.......Some one has another opinion, Is that a FACT.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:10 PM

Default I think you triggered a Idea........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
No, I don't think so. The second 'recessionary dip' is a concept of something for spiritual being. It has occurred already and it means the demand on oil development signaled when the price of it's CRUDE goes up.

It is spiritual for it means that in spirit we haven't solved our essential Spirit as sociable animals with the desire to find the stress relieved of the day-to-day living; much more we should instead of being challenged to communication, be instead ethical for forms of dialogue and tell apart the dialogue socialization from the wholly human socialization of exchanging Goods and intentional Knowledge.
WHEN PEOPLE BECOME INVOLVED, in technology, even facebook and surfing the web, the emotions are aroused and whatever they desire seems to be at their fingertips , knowledge, wealth,relationships. This makes us feel like we are self controlling and significant player . Not just a player but a writer whose words can be printed and read by millions , no consequence how insignificant and ill arranged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality