Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:15 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
We had one. They voted in Bush Jr. That killed their credibility with the majority of this country for a generation.
And probably accelerated the ultimate decline of this country through his incompetence and the fact big business and banking played him like a cheap fiddle. But he was "born again" fool that believed the voices in his head were that of god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 03:56 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,766,426 times
Default does Americia need a spiritual revival?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Why does America need a Spiritual wake up call? Is the country's morality suffering due to lack of spirituality? I see you mentioned the ten commandments so I assume that you think the country needs to adopt or follow a christian moral code. Why do you think that the religious or spiritual are more moral than non-believers? The ONLY commandments that one NEEDS follow are:

You shall not murder

You shall not steal

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor

Adultery and honoring your parents are your own business.

The rest are rubbish.

The bottom line is we all should treat each other like we wish to be treated. We don't need religion or to be spiritual for that.
...........I too am skeptical of ehe Emotional Excess that seems to draw some people, in religion and politics, in the sales presentation or even non profit giving. But it will continue I think, because people are drawn to Emotional fever. Just like a cocaine addict can garner a following
because . confidence is taken as a sign of safety , good will. Just like a gift from Billy the Kid or Al Capone garnered support, even by politicians. Should I say , especially politicians.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:30 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
or will she sleep, and fiddle, and placate, and pacify.......will she continue to fear any one who mentions the Ten Commandment...........yeah!.....maybe as long as the message is allowed to be twisted and changed...why can't we see that .
She is waking up

http://www.willwilkinson.net/flybottle/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/religious_participation_us.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-02-2011, 11:05 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:
or will she sleep, and fiddle, and placate, and pacify.......will she continue to fear any one who mentions the Ten Commandment...........yeah!.....maybe as long as the message is allowed to be twisted and changed...why can't we see that .

Well, if you want the Ten Commandments, I want the Wiccan Rede.

Twisted? The only 'twisting' being done is that of the Religious Right, who seem hell-bent (pun intended) on interpreting it the way they decide.

Personally, I'd prefer rational and logical fact to twisted misinterpretations of a 2,000-year-old book that was written but dozens of people.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:50 PM

Default thanks for the clarifictation............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Will America experience a Spiritual wake up call?

No, and I'll tell you why: because you're assuming one particular religion, and there are too many Americans who aren't members of that club.
.... thanks for the clarification of my assumptions. I do however think there are many religious groups and non-religious clubs and sorted strains and practices...........that's fine,,,,,,I think the fox hole, Jailhouse syndrome ...whatever, will send folks to their Shrink or Shaman or favorite medicine man. Or Drug.........or just looking for answers...when the sky starts raining acid, or fire, or stops rainning........I do not know what it will look like but politicians will try to ride the wave and extract their pound of flesh. It happens every 20-30 years minimum. Wars and rumor of war until the end. And we will occupy (space, our place in time) until the end. I hope you live to hear your own words asking a simple question into the ether.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:49 AM

659 posts, read 1,101,513 times
America will very likely experience a spiritual wake-up call which, like everything other movement or shift in public consciousness in this country, will be completely co-opted and used as a marketing tool to sell t-shirts and cheap Chinese-made bling to the would-be trendy. Or at least until the next Next Big Thing.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:55 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
America receives thousands of wake-up calls from thousands of clerics every Sunday, and yet their entreaties fall almost entirely upon the ears of those who are already believers (hence the expression "preaching to the choir"). The rest of us have heard it all before and simply are not interested.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:52 PM

Default Yes I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I think what you're seeing is that this generation of young people are not going to be swayed to easily into believing something just arbitrarily, with the technology that we have today and the availability of information that there is on the Internet they're not going to believe any particular religion just because somebody says so, they're questioning and that's good and that's been the problem that organized religion has had throughout its history, they didn't want you to know anything except what they were willing to tell you. When Gutenberg invented the printing press and first started printing copies of the Bible that was the beginning of the ordinary populace gaining knowledge and that was the beginning of questioning. So the more knowledge you obtain the more you learn and the more you learn, the more you question.
.......with half of what you say.....When Gutenberg invented the printing press , some inter-office memo was published and split the CHURCH of ROME. As far as what young people believe, its just as arbitrary now as ever, boys and girls, sports, tattoos, different hair, clothes, groups, gangs..........and they tend to think to the left when they are young and as they age they start moving to the right. But they are not in lock step.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:14 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Or the moral fiber that locked up all the Japanese Americans during WWII? Or the moral fiber that wouldn't allow interracial marriages?
Or the moral fiber that gives lawbreakers a wrist-slap and a 'naughty, naughty' before letting them back on the street to run wild again?

Old 08-19-2011, 07:54 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
.... thanks for the clarification of my assumptions. I do however think there are many religious groups and non-religious clubs and sorted strains and practices...........that's fine,,,,,,I think the fox hole, Jailhouse syndrome ...whatever, will send folks to their Shrink or Shaman or favorite medicine man. Or Drug.........or just looking for answers...when the sky starts raining acid, or fire, or stops rainning........I do not know what it will look like but politicians will try to ride the wave and extract their pound of flesh. It happens every 20-30 years minimum. Wars and rumor of war until the end. And we will occupy (space, our place in time) until the end. I hope you live to hear your own words asking a simple question into the ether.

Leon, you do understand that these little rants are reducing your credibility to the level of the dude on the corner wearing the sandwich board signs that say "The End Is Near!", right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality