Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:47 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
One in an eternity? Hardly.. He was just one more in a long line of "saviors" and "sons of God". Nothing he taught was original or unique to him.
You point out an even stronger indicator . . . His fulfillment of the long predicted Maitreya in the "spiritual fossil record" of various carnal versions that predated Him. This validates the idea that the "template" for our acquiring understanding of God has been programmed into our spiritual DNA long before Jesus. You find that discrediting . . . I find it just the opposite.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Jesus Christ was either some "one in an eternity miracle" or he was very simply a little Jew bastard. What Do You Think?
I thnik your stirinng the pot with your wording.I fact its obvous where you stand on the issue.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:05 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Jesus Christ was either some "one in an eternity miracle" or he was very simply a little Jew bastard. What Do You Think?
I wonder what inspired you to use that term at the end of the first sentence? (That was my first thought after reading your post. My second, third and fourth thoughts had to be deleted, because if I didn't do it myself, the moderators certainly would have).

Thanks, there, texdav. You beat me to it by six minutes!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:08 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thnik your stirinng the pot with your wording.I fact its obvous where you stand on the issue.
Not really...every post on the subject assumes Joseph to be the father. Let's bring a little DNA into the picture and learn who de baby daddy really turns out to be. Isn't that the way the scenario plays out?

Wait! I just went back and reread each post. There is one which leaves the door open for another potential father...no pun intended.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:17 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Not really...every post on the subject assumes Joseph to be the father. Let's bring a little DNA into the picture and learn who de baby daddy really turns out to be. Isn't that the way the scenario plays out?
You know Melvin it pretty much is common knowledge that Joseph was not the daddy, Christian tradition says he was not the biological father....

Mary got pregnant before she was married.......

But she was married at the time of the birth, So........ Jesus had a daddy and he was born into a family with a mother and father.....

So who cares???

Christians believe G-d was the daddy.

Non Christians either don't care or assume that the daddy was some other guy and Joseph married her and raised the baby.....

I really don't get where you are going with this thread?

We all know where you stand on Christianity...

Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What you or anyone else "thinks" is not remotely relevant. 2000+ years of history and societal impact across cultures, generations, societies, continents, etc. . . . have pretty much answered your question for you. Think what you will . . . that kind of impact is not accomplished MERELY by human actions.
Right, then I guess you think that Mohammad was not human either, am I right?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:58 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Right, then I guess you think that Mohammad was not human either, am I right?
The main religions and their offshoots all have their inspirational origins from the ONLY God there is. It is the specific "beliefs about" God that are man-made and differ. They are largely irrelevant. It is the unifying theme found in all of them . . . of self-control of our negative drives . . . and the attitude and state of mind of "love of God and each other" . . . that is relevant.

Genuine beliefs in God will all have the same (and ONLY) source of inspiration . . . so the essentials should be very similar. The inevitable corruptions and distortions are the result of human greed, desire for power and control and to justify worldly ambitions. Culture, personal and social understanding necessarily color the many other details and explanations. Gerald Berry confirms that this uniformity exists even across groups that had no contact with one another,

. . . It is an interesting pastime to trace parallels in the beliefs of peoples who had no outside contact with each other. These parallels seem to indicate that certain things are basic, one might almost say innate, in the make-up of humankind.

I have found more than adequate support in the "spiritual fossil record" for this general idea of a universal source for religious beliefs.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The main religions and their offshoots all have their inspirational origins from the ONLY God there is. It is the specific "beliefs about" God that are man-made and differ. They are largely irrelevant. It is the unifying theme found in all of them . . . of self-control of our negative drives . . . and the attitude and state of mind of "love of God and each other" . . . that is relevant.

Genuine beliefs in God will all have the same (and ONLY) source of inspiration . . . so the essentials should be very similar. The inevitable corruptions and distortions are the result of human greed, desire for power and control and to justify worldly ambitions. Culture, personal and social understanding necessarily color the many other details and explanations. Gerald Berry confirms that this uniformity exists even across groups that had no contact with one another,

. . . It is an interesting pastime to trace parallels in the beliefs of peoples who had no outside contact with each other. These parallels seem to indicate that certain things are basic, one might almost say innate, in the make-up of humankind.

I have found more than adequate support in the "spiritual fossil record" for this general idea of a universal source for religious beliefs.
They will NEVER acknowledge that ^^ Mystic...especially not guys like Mel G. Not in their mortal earthly existence, anyway.
It smacks too heavily of "circumstantial/indirect evidence pointing to the existence of God" (because it is) for them to ever give it the credit it deserves.

They rather spew the venom produced by their frustration in being the 10% "blind" in a world where everyone else is "sighted". As indicated by "chain yanking" offerings like the OP.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:33 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Things like this may seem illogical and implausible but with God anything and everything is possible. Jesus Christ is real,He was more than your everyday man as He performed many miracles and died on the cross for our sins and then resurrected and ascended up in to Heaven to be back with His Father.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:14 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Golly, I never heard that before. Melvin.George, your choice of wording is bound to bring forth some incendiary comments. Rather than "stirring the pot", it seems more like turning the whole pot over and spilling it on everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality