Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:42 PM

946 posts, read 2,917,837 times

Advertisements

This is my first time writing in the Religion forum. I was pondering on something this morning. I don't believe in fate or destiny, I don't think God or "the universe" has a predetermined plan for any one of us, I think we each determine our life with the choices we each make every day of our lives. Nothing "happens for a reason" and nothing is "meant to be". Only we are responsible for what happens in our lives. However, I do believe in other things such as karma, I believe anyone who does evil in their life will somehow get punished either in life or in the next (if there is one). I don't know why I believe in that since I'm not very religious, I believe in evolution and science, etc. It's just a feeling I have inside of me, kind of like we inherently know what's good and evil. I also believe in other supernatural and psychic stuff. So if I believe one thing, shouldn't that mean I have to believe in everything else? If I believe in God, shouldn't I also believe there was a first man and woman and that we didn't evolve from apes? I don't know lol, my question might be stupid, I was just pondering on it when I was deep in thought this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 04:05 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
This is my first time writing in the Religion forum. I was pondering on something this morning. I don't believe in fate or destiny, I don't think God or "the universe" has a predetermined plan for any one of us, I think we each determine our life with the choices we each make every day of our lives. Nothing "happens for a reason" and nothing is "meant to be". Only we are responsible for what happens in our lives. However, I do believe in other things such as karma, I believe anyone who does evil in their life will somehow get punished either in life or in the next (if there is one). I don't know why I believe in that since I'm not very religious, I believe in evolution and science, etc. It's just a feeling I have inside of me, kind of like we inherently know what's good and evil. I also believe in other supernatural and psychic stuff. So if I believe one thing, shouldn't that mean I have to believe in everything else? If I believe in God, shouldn't I also believe there was a first man and woman and that we didn't evolve from apes? I don't know lol, my question might be stupid, I was just pondering on it when I was deep in thought this morning.
All religions were made up by someone at some point in time who thought things were/should be a certain way, then convinced others to follow. Your ideas are just as valid as theirs.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
All religions were made up by someone at some point in time who thought things were/should be a certain way, then convinced others to follow. Your ideas are just as valid as theirs.
That's your belief as well, it can be argued that there is evidence about the bible, the existence of the prophets, etc. We're all free to believe what we want though.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:45 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
You can believe anything you want to. I think we are all supposed to find our own truths and we are all on our own journeys. Just like we all like different foods and different music - we all have different beliefs and ideas about life and the universe. That's just my belief.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
You can believe anything you want to. I think we are all supposed to find our own truths and we are all on our own journeys. Just like we all like different foods and different music - we all have different beliefs and ideas about life and the universe. That's just my belief.
I know we're free to believe what we want to, but it just feels strange that I believe in some things and not others that are related. I feel like if I'm going to believe in some things I may as well go all out. For example, if I believe in karma, I therefore have to believe in reincarnation. If I believe in God, then how can I also believe in the Big Bang Theory? It's just really complicated lol. I guess that's what philosophy is all about, we don't have the answers to everything but it makes us wonder and question.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:58 PM

460 posts, read 592,827 times
Why make things so complicated?

The single source for all of our problems is simply ourselves. Either we think too much or worry to much.

Karma and reincarnation do not necessarily go hand-in-hand. Buddha did not necessarily teach that one had to go through reincarnation over and over again. Despite his rather questionable life, he achieved enlightenment and supposedly moved on to Nirvana.

The Dalai Lama is supposed to be reincarnated not because of karma but to ensure that the "faith" will be led by a competent and enlightened leader.

The Christ laid out a very simple rule of thumb for living: love one another unconditionally, and in turn, you love the Creator and do Its will. The Christ never said anything about NOT believing in certain things.

It has always been a person or a group of persons who have been very successfull in duping mankind into adding to the philosophies of religious leaders. That person or group holds no more authority or a "direct line" to God than you do.

To figure out what is "right" for you, arm yourself by researching. Don't just read the "right" but the "left" as well. Then, do not just assimiulate what a person says or right as the "gospel truth." Question it. You like it, you assimulate it into your being, continue to question it. [Not question if what you believe is the right thing to believe; rather, question if it still has validity in your life, for you personally.]

Old 02-28-2011, 07:26 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Truth is by definition singular.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:28 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

Not so, truth is in the eyes of the beholder....

Your truth is yours, and it is not the only truth..... Just yours....

Old 02-28-2011, 07:32 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Not so, truth is in the eyes of the beholder....

Your truth is yours, and it is not the only truth..... Just yours....
I believe the moon is made of green cheese.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:40 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Actually - that is not necessarily true. I believe you have said this to me before but I will explain again.
Let me put it like this. To my husband, I am the most beautiful woman in the world. To him - this is true. However, I'm not so delusional as to think that I am the most beautiful woman in the world to all men (just most of them - hahaha). In my life, my husband and my dog are the most imporanat things. This is one of my truths. However, this is not true for everyone. To me - the key to my happiness is lots of love and laughter. These are my truths. "Truth" has more than one meaning. What is right for one is not necessarily right for another. I would never deny someone else the right to their own truths, beliefs, or faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality