Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I agree that seeing new life in most cases is awe inspiring, but not so much in others...Damned carpenter ants!

What you or I think doesn't matter. There is no faith involved in science no matter what you think. Science is merely a method or tool of discovery and that is why all scientific theories are not static, but change with new information. How can you call something that is constantly growing and changing (Theories) a matter of faith?

How about you give me an example of what you call scientific faith, if you can find one.
Scientist think that humans are still evolving. They claim to have evidence to prove what direction we will go. But, something random could happen and throw off this theory. At this time, they have faith in their evidence that it will not change and we will evolve the way they believe we will. That is scientific faith hard at work. Like I said, faith is not religious based.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
To theorize is to guess or assume. You may have some evidence but without all of it, you are going of faith with your findings. Faith doesn't just apply to religion. To say that I have faith in someone is to simply say that I believe in someone, that I think they will succeed. .
In science terms, you may not have all the evidence and postulate / hypothesise A may be true - but then - after expermentation, if A is found not to be true, science discards it or modifies the existing theory. When everyting is verified beyond doubt, a theory becomes a law. But, unlike religion, it never discards evidence - that is why there is no faith involved.

Quote:
That is why I don't attend any church or claim to be of any faith. I study all faiths at random. I have read the bible and am reading a few other books on various religions. I am simply a knowledge junkie.
Wish more people (including me) were like that.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Don't you want your children to learn about "diversity"?

Wouldn't a lot of the worlds problems be solved if only we understood each other better?
That is what Jazzymom is saying. How more diverse can one get with teaching multiple religious/non religious views?

We need to teach out kids to be open minded.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Wish more people (including me) were like that.
You and others can be. Just open your mind to other possibilities. Even ones you might not agree with or believe in. Reading the bible will not make you christian or anything. Reading any religious text won't make you of that religion. Just like reading a law book doesn't make you a lawyer.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:55 PM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Besides, most people on the planet absolutely agree with the fact that there is a creator.

Evolution cannot happen without having been created first.

Example...."Hey, look at how these seeds evolved into tomato's!"

"Where did the seeds come from?"

"Uh, I don't know."

Creation is a much more plausible reason for our existence than evolution.
No, it's not plausible at all. Most people thinking it is does not make it so. All it means to me is that for thousands of years people have programmed their children and convinced them that these old myths formed some kind of truth...Your tomato analogy is an example of this type of thinking and makes no sense at all outside of the old myths.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
Besides, most people on the planet absolutely agree with the fact that there is a creator.

Evolution cannot happen without having been created first.

Example...."Hey, look at how these seeds evolved into tomato's!"

"Where did the seeds come from?"

"Uh, I don't know."

Creation is a much more plausible reason for our existence than evolution.

The belief that their is a creator, greater power, G-d does not translate into a creation/evolution problem.

They go hand in hand in my belief. Make no mistake I am NOT talking about a 7 day he done it story, not at all...... That is a myth..... Not worthy of being taught in any school....

Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
No, it's not plausible at all. Most people thinking it is does not make it so. All it means to me is that for thousands of years people have programmed their children and convinced them that these old myths formed some kind of truth...Your tomato analogy is an example of this type of thinking and make no sense at all outside of the old myths.
Well we came from somewhere.

Evolution does not explain creation.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:09 PM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Scientist think that humans are still evolving. They claim to have evidence to prove what direction we will go. But, something random could happen and throw off this theory. At this time, they have faith in their evidence that it will not change and we will evolve the way they believe we will. That is scientific faith hard at work. Like I said, faith is not religious based.
Wrong again....Because science has evidence that humans are evolving does not make it faith... There is no consensus among science about where this evolution will take us. FUTURE HUMANS: Four Ways We May, or May Not, Evolve

Faith in the context of the way you are using the word, is believing something is true regardless of the evidence. Exactly the opposite of the methods of science.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Wrong again....Because science has evidence that humans are evolving does not make it faith... There is no consensus among science about where this evolution will take us. FUTURE HUMANS: Four Ways We May, or May Not, Evolve

Faith in the context of the way you are using the word, is believing something is true regardless of the evidence. Exactly the opposite of the methods of science.
So you are telling me that a scientist can't have faith in their findings?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:14 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,345 times
Quote:
So you are telling me that a scientist can't have faith in their findings?

Faith....... Really please lets not have this circular argument.....

Science has more in its corner then the biblical 7 day myth of creation......

Please don't even try to compare science to mythology.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality