Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:14 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
So you are telling me that a scientist can't have faith in their findings?

Faith....... Really please lets not have this circular argument.....

Science has more in its corner then the biblical 7 day myth of creation......

Please don't even try to compare science to mythology.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Scientist think that humans are still evolving. They claim to have evidence to prove what direction we will go. But, something random could happen and throw off this theory. At this time, they have faith in their evidence that it will not change and we will evolve the way they believe we will. That is scientific faith hard at work. Like I said, faith is not religious based.
There is NO FAITH in science.

Because FAITH IS A BELIEF NOT BASED ON PROOF.

By your own description above the scientists have evidence to support their claims.

And just a little FYI, since evolution is just the change in allelic frequencies of a population over time, humans are 100% "still evolving" as evidenced by the differing allelic frequencies from just 1000 years ago.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
The belief that their is a creator, greater power, G-d does not translate into a creation/evolution problem.

They go hand in hand in my belief. Make no mistake I am NOT talking about a 7 day he done it story, not at all...... That is a myth..... Not worthy of being taught in any school....
How in anyway, is any creator, worthy of being taught in a SCIENCE classroom?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
So you are telling me that a scientist can't have faith in their findings?
Maybe you do not know what the word faith means.

The word has two different sets of meaning that are clear and distinct, a religious set.

"
2. belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.

3. belief in god or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.

5. a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith. "

"

And the single secular one:

"confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability."

It is intellectual dishonest to play semantics or vocabulary games. Are your really claiming that there is not a secular definition of faith separate and distinct from its spiritual one?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:38 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
How in anyway, is any creator, worthy of being taught in a SCIENCE classroom?
I did not say that....... I said that in my view they can go together...

I said:The belief that their is a creator, greater power, G-d does not translate into a creation/evolution problem.

They go hand in hand in my belief. Make no mistake I am NOT talking about a 7 day he done it story, not at all...... That is a myth..... Not worthy of being taught in any school....

I am not a creationist, I do not believe in the biblical creation. I do accept that a creator was involved in the beginning and from that point on there was an evolutionary process...

I do not want religion taught in schools, I do not want creationism taught in school and I would not want my view taught in school. It is just my view.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Faith....... Really please lets not have this circular argument.....

Science has more in its corner then the biblical 7 day myth of creation......

Please don't even try to compare science to mythology.......
Does anyone know where science originated from? Alchemy a form of religious/spiritual based science.

I am not saying I believe in the 7 day thing... please give me more credit in that.

I am just saying that scientists do have "faith" in their findings. The believe their findings to be correct. They also have faith that their hypothesis will be correct. How is this not in some way similar to people who are religious and have faith that their religion or personal religious theories are?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Wrong!!! If you are gonna teach one religion, I suspect, just to be legal about it and not show preference to one religious theory, all religions should be taught as equals.
Umm... read what I said one more time. I don't think you understood it.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:55 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times
Quote:
You and others can be. Just open your mind to other possibilities. Even ones you might not agree with or believe in. Reading the bible will not make you christian or anything. Reading any religious text won't make you of that religion. Just like reading a law book doesn't make you a lawyer.
btw, I have read it (not a fan at all).....and have read many other books on many subjects - have published many tech papers etc - you may be surprised if you met me in real life. What I meant earlier was that I wish I had more time to read.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
btw, I have read it.....and have read many other books on many subjects - have published many tech papers etc - you may be surprised if you met me in real life. What I meant was I wish I had more time to read.
Don't we all wish we had time to read more? I know I do.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know where science originated from? Alchemy a form of religious/spiritual based science.

I am not saying I believe in the 7 day thing... please give me more credit in that.

I am just saying that scientists do have "faith" in their findings. The believe their findings to be correct. They also have faith that their hypothesis will be correct. How is this not in some way similar to people who are religious and have faith that their religion or personal religious theories are?
Wrong again.

You persist in refusing admit (or ignorantly choosing to ignore) the FACT that there are two different definitions for the word faith.

When scientists have FAITH in their findings it means CONFIDENCE and NOT BELIEF WITHOUT PROOF.

Second, alchemy was not a belief system but rather a method by which people where trying to pursue transmutation. No more or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality