Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:54 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,249,041 times

Advertisements

wheres the God consioussness goin to be foundaftder all thats what religion means to link up/combine with the supreme,yours sounds more like a club for the sophisticated spiritual thinkers,or somethin,i like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 01:31 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
wheres the God consioussness goin to be foundaftder all thats what religion means to link up/combine with the supreme,yours sounds more like a club for the sophisticated spiritual thinkers,or somethin,i like it.
Not sure if you could give it a God. I am still tweaking it. I honestly believe that we are essentially gods or spirits that are here to learn, die, and repeat the cycle until we (individually) learn something. Once we've learned what it is we need to learn, we no longer live in the flesh. It is somewhat like Buddhism, but not. Somewhat like ascending to a higher plain.

Honestly this started as a joke, but is turning into somewhat of a real thing.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:21 AM

to find the way to the truth you need to aproach someone that has already found the truth inside them,otherwise its just all speculation and will have no real spiritual gain,its true that all we need is ourselves to find God consioussness,because thats where it lies within the self but like learning anything we need to learn from those that have experience in that particular feild

Old 03-10-2011, 09:53 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
to find the way to the truth you need to aproach someone that has already found the truth inside them,otherwise its just all speculation and will have no real spiritual gain,its true that all we need is ourselves to find God consioussness,because thats where it lies within the self but like learning anything we need to learn from those that have experience in that particular feild
One must be careful what they learn from others. What seems like truth, might mislead you if you have not learned how to interpret fact from fiction. There are many great people who seem to know the truth, but have learned from the falseness of others and turned it into truth.

That is why while we learn from others, the way to truth, we must learn ourselves through our own experiences. Remember, it is not knowledge we seek, but wisdom.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
One must be careful what they learn from others. What seems like truth, might mislead you if you have not learned how to interpret fact from fiction. There are many great people who seem to know the truth, but have learned from the falseness of others and turned it into truth.

That is why while we learn from others, the way to truth, we must learn ourselves through our own experiences. Remember, it is not knowledge we seek, but wisdom.
yep there are alot of fakes out there alright and one must be carefukl who they put their trust in,knowledge can lead to wisdom.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:22 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Hey when you finally add a god to the equation, let us atheists know so that we can persecute you. remember persecution = validity

Old 03-11-2011, 06:27 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default Drat! Out-thunk agin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
It's interesting to note that most are treating this thread as a joke. It perhaps indicates a deep spiritual illiteracy among participants, many of whom never got past the adolescent stage of spiritual development.

To rifleman: What about biologist E.O. Wilson's point of view? He knows a thing or two:

"The predisposition to religious belief is an ineradicable part of human behavior. Mankind has produced 100,000 religions. It is an illusion to think that scientific humanism and learning will dispel religious belief. Men would rather believe than know... A kind of Darwinistic survival of the fittest has occurred with religions... The ecological principle called Gause's law holds that competition is maximal between species with identical needs... Even submission to secular religions such as Communism and guru cults involve willing subordination of the individual to the group. Religious practices confer biological advantage."

So one of the great biologists of our times would say you are suffering from an illusion. Sounds kind of like what you would accuse religious people of.
In what way? E.O., a fine gentleman and deep thinker, and whom I've actually met when he visited my alma mater and our biology dept, BTW, made many good points about evolution (his specific topic during that visit) as well as science and religion. He in no way conflates the growth of scientific curiosity and evaluation with any sort of piecemeal, ad hoc, religious postulations.

In fact, what he said here (if you care to read it again, but this time carefully) is that, no matter how logical, science can not dispel the typical wide-spread religious faith-based belief systems that are driven by gross, wide-spread illogical thinking, piecemeal philosophies concocted as necessary, and of course, fear-mongering.

Religion? Here's another viewpoint:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GbSVwk9_Xv...0/Lemmings.gif

My so-called "beliefs" you think you've discredited are based not on fear or myth, but rather on a thorough and thoughtful evaluation of all the options and evidence This is distinctly unlike those drawn by any religion, ever. Such transient belief systems are exactly that: a regulated, strictured systemic approach, with laws and regulations and restrictions, but conveniently structured on the established fears of the day: whatever sells, as it were.

Hardly the stuff of science, which remains ever flexible. Not to mention: there's one science, abut thousands of absolutely right religions. How convincing, eh? And so.. your point is? Lost perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Its called "GroupThink" and "Confirmation Bias"
You'e got it, Jaymax. I like it: Confirmation Bias. Widespread and toxic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
Myth-unsubstantiatable cultural stories made popular in common idiom. I may be wacked but you can't think or read or comprehend. This line of yours is man's explanation for things or phenomena.

(etc. etc.)

I won't read anymore of your post as obviously you should not be on a philosophy thread but on a side show barker thread.
Why thanks! Run run run! Seems you missed the point, but then, I'll reconfirm: you ARE wacked! (As all here will surely now agree...) But that's OK: don't read anything of mine: I could care less! Be gone, oh blighted spirit! Just plow on, like a mental tsunami, running amok and dragging up trash as you go.

Quote:
I can think, read, WRITE, and comprehend just fine.

What?

Umm.... huh?

Too many big words for me, but sure. A religion does not need an object to idolize.

I agree you should not read any other posts, as I don't think you understand what we are talking about. There's a side show barker thread? where?
Quote:
I forgot that sarcasm doesn't work when it's posted on a forum. I was being sarcastic when I said too many big words.

Your post seemed like nothing but ramblings. This post of yours has some more meat to it and explains a bit more. Thats what is needed. This is not a cliff notes thread. If you say something that has meaning to it, address it. That is all I ask.

And starting a religions isn't as complicated as everyone thinks. A religion can simply be an idea, or a way of presenting oneself to the world. A religion doesn't require something to worship, or did I miss that day in religion making 101?

Listen, obviously you have a different way of thinking than most people. But, I haven't heard you say one thing that is philosophical and makes sense and I love philosophy and religion.

Last edited by rifleman; 03-11-2011 at 06:36 AM..

Old 03-13-2011, 05:57 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,404,966 times
"All here will surely agree"-mindreader, self appointed speaker of all, if I don't read you I should be gone-such hubris, and I thought megalomania was a thing of the past.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:16 PM

22 posts, read 21,046 times
Quote:
Not sure if you could give it a God. I am still tweaking it. I honestly believe that we are essentially gods or spirits that are here to learn, die, and repeat the cycle until we (individually) learn something. Once we've learned what it is we need to learn, we no longer live in the flesh. It is somewhat like Buddhism, but not. Somewhat like ascending to a higher plain.

Honestly this started as a joke, but is turning into somewhat of a real thing.
Sounds fantastic but what about the cycle....how can the repeating lives be a cycle with respects to "learning" when ....no individual life recognizes the other in its existance..?
If there is no link ...there is no relative learning and sadly .. no cycle, no learning & no congregation.
Not to fear though, I won't tell anybody.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:57 AM

168 posts, read 307,830 times
google "joseph smith". he started his own religion and even made an extra book to go with and then replace the bible. also, look up "joseph smith seeing stone".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality