Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 01:48 PM

134 posts, read 491,729 times

Advertisements

Now this is NOT intended to offend anyone or spark anything although im sure it might ignite a debate but my question is, Why do so many people beleive its muslims vs. jews when it comes to israel? Why is there so much opposition? I dont beleive in a religion I think they all cause to much hate and problems however ive grown up with a very diverse group of friends, many muslim and christian friends, so i see how it gives ppl hope and something to beleive in a higher power. My question is Jews get alot of heat for israel the way they treat the palestinians, however historically it was jewish land first but before the UN decided to give the jewish people they tried to make it a muslim state the jews would just be there, they claimed if the jews came theyd push them into the sea, they have yet to do so. before Israel was even considered to be a jewish state the palestinians were doing the same thing the israelis are doing now the jews were in ghettos however the jews werent allowed in muslim shops and not allowed out at day. It wasnt right back then and its not right now. My question is basically why do people beleive either side is bad? theyre both guilty of virtually the same injustices and ignorance toward each other and each others ideals and beleifs, so whats the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 03:38 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,568,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfella24 View Post
Now this is NOT intended to offend anyone or spark anything although im sure it might ignite a debate but my question is, Why do so many people beleive its muslims vs. jews when it comes to israel? Why is there so much opposition? I dont beleive in a religion I think they all cause to much hate and problems however ive grown up with a very diverse group of friends, many muslim and christian friends, so i see how it gives ppl hope and something to beleive in a higher power. My question is Jews get alot of heat for israel the way they treat the palestinians, however historically it was jewish land first but before the UN decided to give the jewish people they tried to make it a muslim state the jews would just be there, they claimed if the jews came theyd push them into the sea, they have yet to do so. before Israel was even considered to be a jewish state the palestinians were doing the same thing the israelis are doing now the jews were in ghettos however the jews werent allowed in muslim shops and not allowed out at day. It wasnt right back then and its not right now. My question is basically why do people beleive either side is bad? theyre both guilty of virtually the same injustices and ignorance toward each other and each others ideals and beleifs, so whats the deal?
I am a jew, am strongly supportive of Israel, and also hope for peace based on a two state solution. However I must say your post seems to reveal a need to learn more about the details of the conflict - I would recommend going to the library and looking for a book - Sachar is good, so is Nadav Shafran (SP?). Or try this History of Israel Table of Contents

I fear this will devolve into a viscious argument, and one at best loosely based on facts. Really its very hard to get an informative discussion of this topic going in an internet message board.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 PM

134 posts, read 491,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I am a jew, am strongly supportive of Israel, and also hope for peace based on a two state solution. However I must say your post seems to reveal a need to learn more about the details of the conflict - I would recommend going to the library and looking for a book - Sachar is good, so is Nadav Shafran (SP?). Or try this History of Israel Table of Contents

I fear this will devolve into a viscious argument, and one at best loosely based on facts. Really its very hard to get an informative discussion of this topic going in an internet message board.

Im actually looking at your site, I asked a question, no intention of argueing with anyone.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:01 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Quote:
My question is basically why do people beleive either side is bad? theyre both guilty of virtually the same injustices and ignorance toward each other and each others ideals and beleifs, so whats the deal?
You can find pretty much the same thing going on in plenty of other places around the world. It's actually been happening all throughout human history. Look up the word 'balkanization.' That region is full of little states that have been trying to obliterate each other for centuries. In 1865, Paraguay declared war on practically all of South America--still hasn't completely recovered from that one. France and Germany...they make nice these days, but they've hardly been friendly towards each other throughout history. Korea and Japan? Same deal. It goes on and on and on...

Israel just happens to get more press than some other countries. And, of course, it's not strictly politics there, because religion gets woven into the mix, too.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:02 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,898,289 times
Quote:
My question is basically why do people beleive either side is bad?
Because people like to think they are the good guys and anyone who is against them are the bad guys.

I think I can understand why Jewish people wanted to establish a homeland in Israel and I think I can understand why the Palestinians want to throw them out, just like they threw my crusader ancestors 800 years ago.

Personally, I do not have a dog in that fight, and I do not see it as right vs. wrong. I guess we will see how it all works out.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:55 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Does anyone really think that the Arab leaders are trully doing things in the name of religion? The Arbb people and the palestinians are just pawns in their game. The Arab leaders want the Coastal access. Period. Jewish & Muslim issue is just a smoke screen. They Put Israeli Jews as the face on this issue. Look at all the uprisings in the ME. Not one is in the name of Islam.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:45 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,562,070 times
Quote:
America was Indian land first. You know how that turned out. We killed any of them who resisted or got in our way and because they didn't believe in the right god we called them heathens. We slaughtered their main food supply, the buffalo and because of the numbers killed for their hides they almost became extinct. We raped their women and moved the "red man" tribes onto controlled reservations with nothing to do so they could starve or turn into alcoholics. When you're on a roll never let up.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 03-04-2011 at 06:34 AM..

Old 03-04-2011, 09:08 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,898,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
America was Indian land first. You know how that turned out. We killed any of them who resisted or got in our way and because they didn't believe in the right god we called them heathens. We slaughtered their main food supply, the buffalo and because of the numbers killed for their hides they almost became extinct. We raped their women and moved the "red man" tribes onto controlled reservations with nothing to do so they could starve or turn into alcoholics. When you're on a roll never let up.
Yes George, my ancestors did all of these things.

Besides just stating what we all knew, did you have a point to make?

Old 03-04-2011, 10:24 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,562,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Yes George, my ancestors did all of these things.

Besides just stating what we all knew, did you have a point to make?
Did you read what Goodfella posted? My response was to his.

Don't kid yourself. About half of folks today have an image in their minds of pilgrims and indians sitting down together to turkey and boiled corn and won't allow their shallow minds to believe the Indians were mistreated the way they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality