Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:32 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,062,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
You could? Well, I couldn't.
Touche!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 01:14 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,605,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
why do we want to keep up with the joneses or be the joneses?
I couldn't care less about "The Joneses" either...unless they had a really hot daughter...or owned a Outdoor Power Equipment dealership.

And, for the record...my 18yr old orange tabby female (yes FEMALE) cat...that was a rescue stray...is the coolest pet on the planet.

If there is such a thing as reincarnation...I want to come back as my cat. She has lived her life at maximum comfort potential. Never mind "The Joneses"...nor anyone else...they never had such a life of zero stress, total relaxation, and chilled out enjoyment, as this cat.
"The Joneses"?!...PFFFFFFFT!...you'd be waaaaaaay better off trying to figure out how to "keep up" with the life Scuitty (modified acronym for Sweet, Cute Kitty) lives!

Old 03-02-2011, 03:49 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,417,662 times
I pity the Joneses, those poor fools trying to impress me, when I could care less that they have a brand new car, or a bigger TV, or $200 shoes.

The length people go to, to impress people that don't care is rather silly.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:10 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,130,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Those darn Joneses! They're always one-upping everyone else. No wonder it's so tough keeping up with them.
Best post. I couldn't rep again.
Although most people deny running after the Joneses, they do.
The Joneses are America's most ruthless family.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:30 PM

142 posts, read 185,898 times
mrs. jones (for real) invited me out for coffee last nite, turns out it was for the sole purpose (yes for real!) of showing off her new $2500 louis vuitton bag. last week it was a $1500 coach tote. she's still not happy though, her dream is to one day own a $10,500 berken.

well i think it's a berken she said....she has decided i'm hopeless because i didn't even know what a berken was. anybody? i guess i need to google it.

i don't think i'll accept an invitation for coffee again, silly me, i actually thought maybe she enjoyed my company. i have no idea what she ever saw in me to begin with, i don't own a thing that impresses her. well i doubt she'll invite me again either, as i wasn't sufficiently impressed with her purse to satisfy her.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:45 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,664,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
.........Although most people deny running after the Joneses, they do.
Statistically speaking, you are implying that people in this thread are "less than truthful" since no one apparently wants to keep up with the Jones. Maybe, this forum does attract less materialistic people.....

Old 03-02-2011, 04:54 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,708,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
why do we want to keep up with the joneses or be the joneses?
For millions of years, the most competetive apes were the most sucessful breeders. Eventually, the urge for competition was bred into the psyche of the hominids which followed, simply because those were the beasties that survived to have more offspring. Competition is just as natural to us as walking on two legs, in other words, and is a result of the natural processes of evolution.

It's only been about a century since life has become extremely comfortable for the masses here in America. But millions of years of evolution don't just go away with such a quick change...the urge is still built in to most every human, and since our real needs are pretty much met, we find other ways to express it. Hence the silly contest with the "joneses".

Advertisers know this, of course. They depend on people's competetive nature to create trends, manufacture desires and otherwise keep us running on the hampster wheel so they can profit from it. Silly monkeys...

Last edited by Chango; 03-02-2011 at 05:07 PM..

Old 03-02-2011, 04:54 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,605,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Those darn Joneses! They're always one-upping everyone else. No wonder it's so tough keeping up with them.
They'll NEVER "one-up" Scuitty!
She is constantly adorned in a beautiful coat made of the softest fur...she lives in a mansion that has a bed for her in every room, and is served all her meals (while she vocalizes orders to "hurry up with the food"). She has it like this even though she sleeps and/or lounges around about 21 out of 24 hours of every day...and only gets up to eat, get a massage (petted), or to be entertained (dangle the string on a stick for her to "attack", or chase the red dot of the laser pointer).
She has never worried about or stressed over a single thing in over 17 years...and isn't a bit concerned what anybody does or thinks, nor about what is going on in the world.
Let's see "The Joneses" figure out how to put together THAT life!

Old 03-02-2011, 04:55 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,062,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Statistically speaking, you are implying that people in this thread are "less than truthful" since no one apparently wants to keep up with the Jones. Maybe, this forum does attract less materialistic people.....
Well, I can only speak for me personally - but my profession is one of the most competitive and cut-throat out there. So - I realized a long time ago that in order for me to survive - I had to concentrate on myself and my own life and not focus on everyone else around me. And what I came to understand about myself is that all the money or success in the world woulnd't mean a darn thing to me if I didn't have my husband, my dog, my family, and my friends. So what do I care what everyone else has if I already have the things that bring me true happiness?

Old 03-02-2011, 04:58 PM

142 posts, read 185,898 times
Quote:
since no one apparently wants to keep up with the Jones
ok well i do covet my neighbor's dual-bevel compound mitre saw....i think it's a dewalt.

but he's a smith not a jones, so i figured it didn't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality