Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 01:09 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,996 times

Advertisements

This has been an interesting thread! I have to admit, as a former, (and I stress the word former), Southern Baptist, I had been taught, and more or less believed, that Catholics were not "real" Christians. For those of you of the Catholic belief system, you'll be relieved to know that I no longer believe that, and haven't for a few years now.

I obviously don't have all the answers to everything, but I can say that I'm at least at little bit smarter than I was at one point in my life, especially in my 20's. Ever notice that as you get older, (and I'm now "officially" 46, as of the 14th), that most of us at least, are just a wee bit wiser than we were back then? In my 20's I was sometimes arrogant particularly spiritually-speaking. Looking back now, I really have to laugh at myself! What a goober I was!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 01:33 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
This has been an interesting thread! I have to admit, as a former, (and I stress the word former), Southern Baptist, I had been taught, and more or less believed, that Catholics were not "real" Christians. For those of you of the Catholic belief system, you'll be relieved to know that I no longer believe that, and haven't for a few years now.

I obviously don't have all the answers to everything, but I can say that I'm at least at little bit smarter than I was at one point in my life, especially in my 20's. Ever notice that as you get older, (and I'm now "officially" 46, as of the 14th), that most of us at least, are just a wee bit wiser than we were back then? In my 20's I was sometimes arrogant particularly spiritually-speaking. Looking back now, I really have to laugh at myself! What a goober I was!
LOL @ Goober.

I have to admit that many, many Christians that I knew and currently know do not believe that Catholics are "saved". They think there are individual exceptions to this, but by and large, Catholics are decieved and not "real Christians".

Disgusting, IMO. I prefer not to judge, lest I be judged.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:51 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,947 times
Default Here's one for you..

Since this thread is regarding misconceptions about what others think about what we believe....this goes to believers and non-believers alike (you know who you are )

I'm tired of people thinking those of us who believe in a literal Genesis (you know, creation and Noah, et al) that we're somehow backward, stuipid, arrogant, against all science, easily fooled, gullible, etc. I understand when a non-believer has these pre-concieved notions and thinks me odd for my beliefs; they're a non-believer. However, it really saddends me that believers take this point of view also. I've come across it in my own church and have been told some rather upsetting things -- for example, that I'm causing division within the body of Christ for being stubborn and blind!!!

Those who disagree with my worldview have that right. I don't expect everyone to believe the way I do or trust in God's word the way I do. I would just appreciate it if they would not look down on me and those who believe like me like we're ignorant. It's quite the contrary, actually.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Since this thread is regarding misconceptions about what others think about what we believe....this goes to believers and non-believers alike (you know who you are )

I'm tired of people thinking those of us who believe in a literal Genesis (you know, creation and Noah, et al) that we're somehow backward, stuipid, arrogant, against all science, easily fooled, gullible, etc. I understand when a non-believer has these pre-concieved notions and thinks me odd for my beliefs; they're a non-believer. However, it really saddends me that believers take this point of view also. I've come across it in my own church and have been told some rather upsetting things -- for example, that I'm causing division within the body of Christ for being stubborn and blind!!!

Those who disagree with my worldview have that right. I don't expect everyone to believe the way I do or trust in God's word the way I do. I would just appreciate it if they would not look down on me and those who believe like me like we're ignorant. It's quite the contrary, actually.
You're obviously well-spoken. You don't come across as ignorant at all to me.

I personally don't see what the big hang-up is on this subject. To me, the point is God DID IT, no matter HOW He did it, ya know? I personally feel that science reveals God's handiwork. The science of evolutionism seems sound, and I think that intelligent design answers the questions this raises very well.

But again, to me, it all really doesn't matter. It's done. We are here.

And that's enough proof of God for me.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:20 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,883,412 times
Its really interesting to read what misconceptions people experience. I had a lot of misconceptions about the Catholic Church until I went to work on a campus run by Sisters. I found things that I had pre-judged, to actually be quite beautiful. I am not Catholic but it was a wonderful expereince for me to see my own prejuidces that I didn't realize I had. I like this thread because it sheds some light from those who walk in the shoes....

Old 07-25-2007, 02:27 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
You're obviously well-spoken. You don't come across as ignorant at all to me.

I personally don't see what the big hang-up is on this subject. To me, the point is God DID IT, no matter HOW He did it, ya know? I personally feel that science reveals God's handiwork. The science of evolutionism seems sound, and I think that intelligent design answers the questions this raises very well.

But again, to me, it all really doesn't matter. It's done. We are here.

And that's enough proof of God for me.
<emphasis mine>

Thank you for the compliment. But the bolded part is, IMHO, a misconception by believers because again, IMHO, it does matter. I won't hijack this thread, but below is a link to read to get a taste of my point of view on this topic. You can also see some prior threads on CD regarding this topic. I will concede it's not mandatory for salvation to believe in a literal Genesis, but can be seen as inconsistent if you don't. Just my humble opinion.

Twenty Reasons Why Genesis and Evolution Do Not Mix

Old 07-25-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
<emphasis mine>

Thank you for the compliment. But the bolded part is, IMHO, a misconception by believers because again, IMHO, it does matter. I won't hijack this thread, but below is a link to read to get a taste of my point of view on this topic. You can also see some prior threads on CD regarding this topic. I will concede it's not mandatory for salvation to believe in a literal Genesis, but can be seen as inconsistent if you don't. Just my humble opinion.

Twenty Reasons Why Genesis and Evolution Do Not Mix
Well buddy, I skimmed over it--didn't see anything about the dinosaurs, which to me, poke massive holes in the whole argument. Where do they fit into the scheme of things?

I find the language in Genesis to be obviously figurative, which I know your link refutes. We will have to agree to disagree on this one--I'm a lost cause anyway, I don't hold to orthodox views (although I am a born-again Christian).

Old 07-25-2007, 09:07 PM

267 posts, read 533,522 times
The Church of Cthulhu does not (entirely) comprise of role players, some of then are merely bookworms who found the path by the Prophet Lovecraft.

Those who serve the Soda God are not (all) teenagers, perhaps you've never heard of his son the Prophet of Coffee?

Wiccans have nothing to do with Satan worship. They don't believe in him.

The Church of Satan has nothing to do with Satan worship they are a satirical psuedo church.

And as for myself, I think it's a misconception that because I don't attend church and prefer to have a more personal relationship I must be an atheist.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:59 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,602,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
These are the big misconceptions about Catholics I constantly run into (and have on this board!)
Sorry about the late response to this. I just got a rep for one of my postings in this thread and came back to check on it. I have a semantical difference with your observations in that the misconception is that the Catholic Church promotes these beliefs, which I do not believe it does, the reality is that many registered Catholics do follow these practices despite the lack of church authoritative teachings. I grew up in San Antonio, Texas in a predominately catholic area and my wife grew up in the Catholic Church and is very familar with these practices by her community and friends from her neighborhood.

Quote:
1.) Catholics worship the Virgin Mary as a goddess.
This is true. Many believe that Mary has a higher authority than Jesus, though lower than God, because she is his mother and a good son cannot dissapoint his mother.

Quote:
2.) Catholics worship the saints as gods.
This is also true, in that they worship the saints as minor gods in the respect that they believe the saints have powers of their own and can act on God's behalf of their own volition. They do not believe that they are gods in the respect that they are the same as the greek or norse pantheon.

Quote:
3.) Catholics pray to statues.
This is very true. Many, especially from the Texas/Mexico Rio Grande valley area believe the statue is just as powerful as the saint they represent. Disprespecting the statue is just as much of an insult as spitting on the bible.

Quote:
4.) Catholics believe that the Pope cannot ever be wrong about anything.
The older catholics are more prone to this than the younger. They believe that the pope is a vessel of God on earth and thus becomes God in the flesh. Believing the pope can be wrong is the same as God being wrong. Can't happen.

Quote:
5.) The Catholic Church added books to the Bible.
Considering that the Catholic Church sanctioned the first compilations of the bible, this is literally true. The codices of the collected bible created by Constantine and the council of Nicea predate the modern King James version by many centuries. The fact that the Catholic Bible contains different gospels and books than the King James is due to King James changing the content of the bible, not the Catholic Church "adding" to his.

Quote:
6.) The Catholic Church was co-opted by pagans under Constantine and persecuted the "real Christians" throughout the Middle Ages.
I do not know anyone who has this misconception. It must not be popular in the latin Catholic Church.

Quote:
7.) The Catholic Church insisted on Latin in the liturgy for a thousand years just so they could keep the populace ignorant and under control.
This is a belief I have heard, and while it may contain some truth in practice I believe the latin mass is perpetuated simply for the tradition. Most Catholics I know feel more strongly about the value of tradition than they do about practicallity. They actually feel the catachism provides more teaching than the mass and that the mass is only a ceremony and not a learning opportunity.

Quote:
8.) Catholics don't believe the Bible is the Word of God.
Many Catholics do not recognize any bible but the Catholic Edition, and since the King James version et al do not contain the same books, they must by their differences be false bibles. They do believe fervantly that the Catholic Bible is the word of God.

Quote:
There are probably more, but those are the big ones I often run into. Even here. In fact, I'd bet dollars to donuts that several folks will immediately start to argue that some of these points are true.
Here is your donut.

I agree with you if you feel that these misconceptions are thought of the Church, but I have to tell you that the some segments of the church membership does practice them in reality.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Sorry about the late response to this. I just got a rep for one of my postings in this thread and came back to check on it. I have a semantical difference with your observations in that the misconception is that the Catholic Church promotes these beliefs, which I do not believe it does, the reality is that many registered Catholics do follow these practices despite the lack of church authoritative teachings. I grew up in San Antonio, Texas in a predominately catholic area and my wife grew up in the Catholic Church and is very familar with these practices by her community and friends from her neighborhood.

This is true. Many believe that Mary has a higher authority than Jesus, though lower than God, because she is his mother and a good son cannot dissapoint his mother.

This is also true, in that they worship the saints as minor gods in the respect that they believe the saints have powers of their own and can act on God's behalf of their own volition. They do not believe that they are gods in the respect that they are the same as the greek or norse pantheon.

This is very true. Many, especially from the Texas/Mexico Rio Grande valley area believe the statue is just as powerful as the saint they represent. Disprespecting the statue is just as much of an insult as spitting on the bible.

The older catholics are more prone to this than the younger. They believe that the pope is a vessel of God on earth and thus becomes God in the flesh. Believing the pope can be wrong is the same as God being wrong. Can't happen.

Considering that the Catholic Church sanctioned the first compilations of the bible, this is literally true. The codices of the collected bible created by Constantine and the council of Nicea predate the modern King James version by many centuries. The fact that the Catholic Bible contains different gospels and books than the King James is due to King James changing the content of the bible, not the Catholic Church "adding" to his.

I do not know anyone who has this misconception. It must not be popular in the latin Catholic Church.

This is a belief I have heard, and while it may contain some truth in practice I believe the latin mass is perpetuated simply for the tradition. Most Catholics I know feel more strongly about the value of tradition than they do about practicallity. They actually feel the catachism provides more teaching than the mass and that the mass is only a ceremony and not a learning opportunity.

Many Catholics do not recognize any bible but the Catholic Edition, and since the King James version et al do not contain the same books, they must by their differences be false bibles. They do believe fervantly that the Catholic Bible is the word of God.

Here is your donut.

I agree with you if you feel that these misconceptions are thought of the Church, but I have to tell you that the some segments of the church membership does practice them in reality.
UH... Perhaps this is just the Church your wife attends but this is a bunch of Hog Wash.... I am Catholic and this is all misconception. I have lived in the South... attended Southern Catholic Churches and NO none of that is True... sorry.... all of your outsider looking in explaination of the Catholic Faith is exactly the misconceptions the other posters are trying fight..... You might want to actually listen to the CATHOLICS posting on this thread.... just a suggestion.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality