Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 03:43 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,582,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
From what I have read I have to agree with those that have said that modern Bible versions ...
You, as did the others, are referring to the Christian Bible, not the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 06:06 PM

397 posts, read 606,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
hey walter G, i was wondering because i am assuming you are jewish, why is that the jews do not accept jesus as a prophet. im not going to argue but i may possibly want to discuss different viewpoints, if any. i havent done too much research into the religion of judaism, but i have always been curious as to why they do not accept him as a prophet of god?...

Old 03-17-2011, 07:54 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,809,711 times
how could you change god's words ?

There are no "god's words" there are only words that unscrupulous people have been selling to the masses for thousands of years, And the rest of world literature.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
... why is that the jews do not accept jesus as a prophet.
Because Jesus of Nazareth, if he actually existed, was not a prophet.

For the Jewish definition and listing of all the prophets, see Judaism 101: Prophets and Prophecy

Old 03-17-2011, 11:47 PM

397 posts, read 606,685 times
Quote:

For the Jewish definition and listing of all the prophets, see Judaism 101: Prophets and Prophecy
i know of the prophets, but i was just curious as to why, if he performed miracles, came with the word of god and not to change it but in a sense, re-establish it, do u not accept him as a prophet? just wondering what a jewish perspective is on it...

Old 03-18-2011, 01:43 AM

689 posts, read 547,022 times
Quote:

No matter how you define a prophet, a prophet is sent by God and only God's standard is to follow. All human defintions are of just speculation. Similarly, Law is also granted by God and only God can sit on the judgment seat, not the Jews.

In the end, if God exists then God is the standard, so don't sound as if the Jews are holding the standard.

Last edited by Hawkins; 03-18-2011 at 02:02 AM..

Old 03-18-2011, 06:13 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,026,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
No matter how you define a prophet, a prophet is sent by God and only God's standard is to follow. All human defintions are of just speculation. Similarly, Law is also granted by God and only God can sit on the judgment seat, not the Jews.

In the end, if God exists then God is the standard, so don't sound as if the Jews are holding the standard.

We do understand what we believe as Jews. Jesus was a Jewish man who had a following. He may have been a teacher, rabbi, that is certainly more credible then a prophet or a god.

So as Jews we certainly can speak to what our tradition has to say.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
i know of the prophets, but i was just curious as to why, if he performed miracles, came with the word of god and not to change it but in a sense, re-establish it, do u not accept him as a prophet? just wondering what a jewish perspective is on it...
Judaism holds that these "reported" miracles never occurred.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
G-d gave the Jews, and only the Jews, the Torah and the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments) included therein.

According to Maimonides (Rabbi Moses ben Maimon, otherwise known by the acronym Rambam, 1135-1204 C.E.), "The Written Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) and Oral Torah (teachings now contained in the Talmud and other writings) were given by the Almighty to Moses and there will be no other Torah." (Source: Rambam's thirteen principles of faith).

Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 AM

3,494 posts, read 4,535,468 times
Quote:
So which is the Bible and which is the Christian Bible? Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality