Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:12 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Churches and all religions should mind their own houses and stay out of political processes. Their morality obligations stop at their doorstep and shouldn't be foisted on people outside their own specific sphere of influence.
^^^^This. X1000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 12:13 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I don't understand why your editorial depends so much on one religion's text that has been rewritten, edited, and voted upon by so many powerful men over so many years that it now lacks all validity as a foundation for reasoned argument.

When addressing a rather educated population, you'll have to up your game next time and incorporate the wisdom of at least a few other religions to get a better perspective, if you wish to include any religious beliefs, to address these glaring shortcomings in your argument.
Which ones would that might be? Just asking. Some times the cat get's killed doing that, but I'll ask just the same.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:15 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I have to believe that a lot of scriptures and biblical texts are more of works of "men" then the work of God... I am sure there are bits here and there that may be from "God" but if taken as a whole, it is the work of religious men who often times interpret their own beliefs as "God's" belief... The liberals hate the idea that God exists and thus hate religion and the religious right cannot bear to believe that their belief system for generations was really the work of men, rather than God... hence, I believe in just be a fair and good person without involving myself in the affairs that are totally unrelated to me or my surroundings... something neither the liberals or the religious right have ever learned throughout the centuries...
All liberals hate God. So sayeth you.

I'm liberal and I don't care what you believe as long as it doesn't bother me. My wife is Buddhist. My mom's been a Christion for over 30 years.

Am I supposed to hate her for that? Sorry, no can do.

The Dark Bible: Women's Inferior Status

Female Inferiority

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." (I Corinthians 11:3)
"For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man." (I Corinthians 11:8-9)

"Go make me a sammich and let the men talk, honey."

Old 03-06-2011, 12:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Why isn't this in the Religion Folder?

Oh yeah, tax the churches.
If any church is nvolved in politics, then all branches of the cult lose their tax status.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:17 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
I dunno, but mohawkx got a rep for what they said.

1,933 posts, read 1,825,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why isn't this in the Religion Folder?
Right.

5,767 posts, read 5,014,662 times
Quote:
I have to believe that a lot of scriptures and biblical texts are more of works of "men" then the work of God... I am sure there are bits here and there that may be from "God" but if taken as a whole, it is the work of religious men who often times interpret their own beliefs as "God's" belief... The liberals hate the idea that God exists and thus hate religion and the religious right cannot bear to believe that their belief system for generations was really the work of men, rather than God... hence, I believe in just be a fair and good person without involving myself in the affairs that are totally unrelated to me or my surroundings... something neither the liberals or the religious right have ever learned throughout the centuries...
It's going to be difficult to provide documentation that "The liberals hate the idea that God exists." Care to provide a link? Jesus said, "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth will himself be watered." I am well aware that he wasn't speaking of politics, but rather of his constant exhortations for his followers to be merciful, forgiving, tolerant and to help those in need.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:18 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Editorialist View Post
AND IF THIS NATION DOES NOT REPENT OF ITS SINFUL AND IMMORAL WAYS GOD WILL CONTINUE TO REIGN DOWN HIS VENGEANCE WITH EVEN GREATER FEROCITY

You are incorrect here. It's not the nation which must turn from their evil ways to prevent God's judgment, but The Church!

2 Chronicles 7:14 (King James Version)

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."

That verse was written for the ancient Hebrews, the Chosen People of God, but in the New Testament we are told that Christian's are joint heirs to the promises made to Abram, Jacob and Issac. That means that WE are the "my people who are called by my name" in that verse.

To escape God's vengence, it is we CHRISTIAN'S who must first humble ourselves, pray, seek His face and turn from our wicked ways.

May I dare to suggest that a good place to start is to stop condemning and pointing our judgmental fingers at homosexuals, as if they are "worse" sinners than the rest of us?

We should never forget how Paul wrapped up his great exposition on church discipline in I Corinthians 5:

1Cr 5:12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

God alone judges those outside the body of believers, not us. We should get our own house in order first.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:20 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
All liberals hate God. So sayeth you.

I'm liberal and I don't care what you believe as long as it doesn't bother me. My wife is Buddhist. My mom's been a Christion for over 30 years.

Am I supposed to hate her for that? Sorry, no can do.

The Dark Bible: Women's Inferior Status

Female Inferiority

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." (I Corinthians 11:3)
"For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man." (I Corinthians 11:8-9)

"Go make me a sammich and let the men talk, honey."
I never said "all" liberals... but using generalities... I would assume that would be obvious but I guess not... who do you think protests "religion"... the conservative right? The answer should be obvious...

Old 03-06-2011, 12:25 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
I never said "all" liberals... but using generalities... I would assume that would be obvious but I guess not... who do you think protests "religion"... the conservative right? The answer should be obvious...
The religious right are vehemently against the nation of Islam and I've noticed many more protests and opinion pieces from the religious right against Islam than liberal opinion pieces against Christianity. Just sayin

Last edited by mohawkx; 03-06-2011 at 12:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality