Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 01:22 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,294 times

Advertisements

Imagine walking along a sidewalk with your arms full of groceries, and someone r...oughly bumps into you so that you fall and your groceries are strewn over the ground. As you rise up from the puddle of broken eggs and tomato juice, you are ready to shout out, "You idiot! What's wrong with you? Are you blind?" But just before you can catch your breath to speak, you see that the person who bumped you is actually blind. He, too, is sprawled in the spilled groceries, and your anger vanishes in an instant, to be replaced by sympathetic concern: "Are you hurt? Can I help you up?"

Our situation is like that. When we clearly realize that the source of disharmony and misery in the world is ignorance, we can open the door of wisdom and compassion. Then we are in a position to heal ourselves and others.

- B. Allan Wallace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 01:27 AM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Thanks for posting that.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:31 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I can't see it. I pay too much attention to my surroundings to be caught by surprise like that.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post

Our situation is like that. When we clearly realize that the source of disharmony and misery in the world is ignorance, we can open the door of wisdom and compassion. Then we are in a position to heal ourselves and others.
Yes, but that would require that christians accept the beliefs, or lack of, by others. Example, in a different thread a Jew was dressed down for their spelling of god, judgment based solely on the ignorance of how Jews spell god. Or the number of times that I have seen christians judge atheists, saying there is no possible way they have morals cause they don't believe in my particular version of god.

Wisdom you speak of is the absence of ignorance, and there is certainly huge amounts of ignorance that needs to be replace with a little wisdom.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:03 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yes, but that would require that christians accept the beliefs, or lack of, by others. Example, in a different thread a Jew was dressed down for their spelling of god, judgment based solely on the ignorance of how Jews spell god. Or the number of times that I have seen christians judge atheists, saying there is no possible way they have morals cause they don't believe in my particular version of god.

Wisdom you speak of is the absence of ignorance, and there is certainly huge amounts of ignorance that needs to be replace with a little wisdom.
Bingo

And Christians can start with trying to disband that Westboro Baptist Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality