Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:35 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
But of course you wouldn't create them for the punishment. You would give them the choice to do right or wrong and proceed accordingly.
I don't get your line of thinking. No flaming here, but are you a parent Jazzed? No matter my reasons for having them, if I knew that in the end they would end up in horrible pain and torture, and that even death could not release them from such a thing...I would not have my children!

Why? I think that's obvious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 09:59 AM

101 posts, read 218,671 times
Lightbulb Re. the original cited topic

Re. the original cited topic, I would simply put forth three passages from God's Word:

Acts 10:34-43 (New International Version)

34 Then Peter began to speak: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism

35 but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right.

36 You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, telling the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all.

37 You know what has happened throughout Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached—

38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

39 "We are witnesses of everything he did in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed him by hanging him on a tree,

40 but God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen.

41 He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom God had already chosen—by us who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead.

42 He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead.

43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."

2 Timothy 4 (New International Version)

1 In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge:

2 Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.

3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

5 But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure.

7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

1 Peter 4 (New International Version)

1 Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin.

2 As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.

3 For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry.

4 They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you.

5 But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.

6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to men in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

7 The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray.

8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.

10 Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.

11 If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

12 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you.

13 But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.

14 If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.

15 If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler.

16 However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.

17 For it is time for judgment to begin with the family of God; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?

18 And,
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved,
what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

19 So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.

Whatever my humble opinion might happen to be on any point, it certainly has no capacity to supercede God's Word on the matter!

Old 07-26-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
See Jeff, THAT is why I believe God did not know ahead of time that Adam and Eve would sin. Yes, as the scriptures say, he CAN tell 'from the beginning the conclusion' but that doesnt mean he uses this power in an unbridled manner. It is my belief that he gives man a chance by harnessing this power and choosing not to determine each of our fates. And incidentally, though I've been given alot of flack for this belief, it's the only explanation that does not bring up masses of contradictions in the bible.
IMO, the only explanation is Universal Reconciliation. Even destroying the unsaved contradicts numerous verses (again, IMO ).

My response to your main point is Isaiah 46:10, Basic English Translation:

"Making clear from the first what is to come, and from past times the things which have not so far come about; saying, My purpose is fixed, and I will do all my pleasure;"

Old 07-26-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1410OC View Post
Re. the original cited topic, I would simply put forth three passages from God's Word:

Acts 10:34-43 (New International Version)

34 Then Peter began to speak: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism

35 but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right.

36 You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, telling the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all.

37 You know what has happened throughout Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached—

38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

39 "We are witnesses of everything he did in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed him by hanging him on a tree,

40 but God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen.

41 He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom God had already chosen—by us who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead.

42 He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead.

43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."

2 Timothy 4 (New International Version)

1 In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge:

2 Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.

3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

5 But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure.

7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

1 Peter 4 (New International Version)

1 Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin.

2 As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God.

3 For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry.

4 They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you.

5 But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.

6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to men in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

7 The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray.

8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.

10 Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.

11 If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

12 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you.

13 But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.

14 If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.

15 If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler.

16 However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.

17 For it is time for judgment to begin with the family of God; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?

18 And,
"If it is hard for the righteous to be saved,
what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"

19 So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.

Whatever my humble opinion might happen to be on any point, it certainly has no capacity to supercede God's Word on the matter!
I always love some Scripture, but can you narrow it down to the main verses that make your point? I must be dense, I'm missing it.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:09 AM

Talking Short answer to your elemental question [God or Jesus the judge?]: JESUS.

And pardon, me daft also.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:14 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,576,861 times
Jeff, don't get me wrong. I think youre line of thinkingis very charitable and loving but can you explain to me one more time your feelings on the scripture in Matthew 25 that talks about an 'everlasting cutting off' ? And what about those that God found necessary to destroy in the Old Testatament, such as Pharoah and his men (in the red sea) or Korah, Dathan and Abiram? If they were to be later saved, don't you think there would be some evidence that points to that in the scriptures?

Old 07-26-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1410OC View Post
And pardon, me daft also.
LOL, naw...your cool!

I personally think it's something of a paradox...and that's okay with me.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:22 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
If they were to be later saved, don't you think there would be some evidence that points to that in the scriptures?
alice and I are not in agreement on many points of doctrine ourselves, but I think she makes a very valid point here on this---
This is one of my main arguments against universalism. I think there would be some evidence that points to people being "brought back" and there just simply isn't any.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:27 AM

Wink re. your heretical *dark side*

...I suspect you'd find a couple of my other posts interesting.....

[and I COULD tell you which ONES, but hey, that'd spoil the scavenger hunt! LOL]

Happy hunting!

Old 07-26-2007, 10:31 AM

Red face oops, hi kaykay, slow here...

that was no reference to YOU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality