Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:27 AM

101 posts, read 218,695 times

Advertisements

It may help you to see the revised translation of that verse to better understand "boldly".............

Many use that term from where the old KJV had it translated

Hebrews 4:15-16 (King James Version)

15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Double negative makes a positive...tho confusing at best.

Newer translations have it

Hebrews 4:15-16 (New International Version)

15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin.

16 Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Hebrews 4:15-16 (New American Standard Bible)

15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.

16 Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 10:13 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
IMHO, to boldly pray means to come to the Lord with a bold belief that he is real ,and that you do not question his diety, nor his creative powers, nor his ability to hear your prayer and to supply your needs as is his will

Old 07-26-2007, 11:32 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
IMHO, to boldly pray means to come to the Lord with a bold belief that he is real ,and that you do not question his diety, nor his creative powers, nor his ability to hear your prayer and to supply your needs as is his will
This is what I believe as well. And, I will add the fact that Jesus said when you come to him in prayer, come knowing the prayer will be answered, but also realize that the prayer will be answered according to Jesus's will and not our will.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:52 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
A question...concerning boldly praying...maybe Im on the far side of charismatic thinking...but, if I get up tomorrow and my truck wont start..I have no problem praying something like, "in Jesus name I take authority over you truck and I command you to start" ...now is it Gods will I get to work and make money..of course. Anyone agree with me? Im I "too" bold? I had a three wheeler, yes along time ago, and I was taking paino lessons, drove it from my house and to lessons and back. well it didnt want to start, my aunt prayed. Lord, if it be thou will..let it start.

My prayer at 7 was, in Jesus name, I command you to start...

yes it started

Old 07-26-2007, 02:22 PM

Talking Nope, Nope, and Nope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
...now is it Gods will I get to work and make money..of course. Anyone agree with me?
Nope, cannot agree on that one.

Maybe your kids are praying, "PLEASE God, let my Daddy value me enough to stay home with me while I am SO sick--I'm SCARED!" Or maybe your wife, who is deathly allergic to peanut butter, ate something tainted with it, and there would have been no one in the house to call 911 if you'd gone to work. Or maybe there is a horrid unavoidable wreck on the road, and your angels pulled your distributor cap and cables.

When something goes wrong with the vehicle, helps to try to think of all the times God and his mighty forces have PROTECTED that vehicle--too often FROM its DRIVER!

No, it cannot just be ASSUMED to be His will in the case you describe....

Old 07-26-2007, 02:27 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1410OC View Post
Nope, cannot agree on that one.

Maybe your kids are praying, "PLEASE God, let my Daddy value me enough to stay home with me while I am SO sick--I'm SCARED!" Or maybe your wife, who is deathly allergic to peanut butter, ate something tainted with it, and there would have been no one in the house to call 911 if you'd gone to work. Or maybe there is a horrid unavoidable wreck on the road, and your angels pulled your distributor cap and cables.

When something goes wrong with the vehicle, helps to try to think of all the times God and his mighty forces have PROTECTED that vehicle--too often FROM its DRIVER!

No, it cannot just be ASSUMED to be His will in the case you describe....
I love debates...and you know what assuming does...
actually I agree with you, doesnt change the way I pray, because God doesnt always answer our prayers in the way, or the time that we thing hes should, but I do think he always has our best interest, or his in mind

Old 07-26-2007, 06:16 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
Default Hey, Arguy...

I don't think what you do is much different than what I know some Catholics do. There's a patron saint for lost items (maybe beth ann or Marks can help on the specific one) that my SIL will pray to for assistance. For example, if she needs to be somewhere urgently and can't find her keys, she starts praying to this saint to help her find them. And you know, it's worked! I've even seen it in action once or twice.

And, personally, I know I've had similar prayers to yours and things always seem to be resolved satisfactorily. And even for an instance referred to above by 1410OC. I was running late for work due to some home issues, all the while praying I wouldn't be late so as not to get in trouble. Well, I ended up late, BUT... there was an accident (no one injured seriously) on my route that if I had left on time I'm sure I would have been involved in. So, as stated previously, His answer isn't always what we asked for, but it's an answer

Old 07-26-2007, 06:28 PM

Love is acting in the BEST interest of the one loved.

God IS love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality