Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2011, 04:35 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
^^^^
What part of "all-powerful" don't you understand?

Dear Atheists: If I am wrong, then no big deal right? If you are wrong, well...you are willing to bet your eternal soul on it? Or doesn't that exist, either?

You know I am not an atheist but you sure are arrogant.... I have more respect for folks who choose to believe or not believe based on what they see as right not based on what they might get or not get.... I hate to think that you base your religious orientation based on hedging your bets......

There is no proof for G-d. Whether he exists or not is up to what you choose to believe....

Then there are those of us who believe in G-d but we do not choose to be Christian...

Yes I have a soul, no I am not a Christian.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:49 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Poor old Satan getting blamed again for doing something without a shred of evidence that he did it.
Isn’t that gossip? Isn’t gossip a sin?
This happened under the ocean so maybe Neptune did it.

LOL, at least with "satan" you know what you're getting. god - has all these mixed messages, full of love then apparently shifting the plates

Old 03-12-2011, 05:07 PM

701 posts, read 800,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
So what do you think was being said here by Christ? Do you understand the context? Was it speaking of acts of hatred or was it speaking of a willingness to deny all that you hold dear in order to follow Christ? Was it not using very emotive speech to get across a point that Christ needs to be first in your life above even your closest human relationship?

Old 03-12-2011, 05:19 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Here's a link to the USGS. Last week there where 912 recorded earthquakes in the United States alone.
Is g-d managing all of these or just getting involved in the "big ones"
If so, what point on the Richter Scale is he actively involved?
The same question could be posed for hurricanes, typhoons, volcano eruptions, tornadoes, droughts and floods. Is he micro-managing all these disasters or just the big ones that kill thousands of people?
If he's doing it all, he needs to delegate or he will never have the time to see who is having sex with whom, check on whose using his name in vain, and spy on little jimmy to see if he's choking his chicken in the bathroom.

Latest Earthquakes in the USA - Last 7 days
This post is too funny but WITH a great point.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:19 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
I can no longer STOP believing than you can START believing.

But I don't go around with insults and name calling and all that.

BTW, for all of you athiests out there: Prove that God does not exist. Go ahead, and good luck. You're going to need it.
You can't prove a negative, the onus is on the positive to be proven. People are so sure of God's existence and presence then prove it. It can't be that hard. I assume you have proof and evidence. Of the scientific kind, the kind which can be examined, challenged and analysed ?

Good luck , you are going to need it. People have believed in various deities for millennia and not one person has managed to even produce the most basic of empirical evidence....

Old 03-12-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
You can't prove a negative, the onus is on the positive to be proven. People are so sure of God's existence and presence then prove it. It can't be that hard. I assume you have proof and evidence. Of the scientific kind, the kind which can be examined, challenged and analysed ?

Good luck , you are going to need it. People have believed in various deities for millennia and not one person has managed to even produce the most basic of empirical evidence....

Ya know I have come to the conclusion that they are not at all sure they are just hedging their bets just in case........

Just incase maybe there is a place of fire or a heavenly abode.....lol

Old 03-12-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
LOL, at least with "satan" you know what you're getting. god - has all these mixed messages, full of love then apparently shifting the plates
Every act of God is born out of God's love for humanity, God never mixes His messages. I am a Christian, and understand that the scientific facts are exactly what they are. this earthquake happened because of two tectonic plates built up enough energy that once released, caused what we saw happen the other day. I do believe that supernatural forces are capable of helping to facilitate events like this but I don't believe that it absolutely has to be that way every time. My fellow Christians out there, you really must understand that God being "in control" does not mean that He is a "control freak". Far too many Christians run to the wildest places with this concept. Does God not give us control over our own actions? When Christ instructed us on how to pray, what did He say? Doesn't part of the Lords prayer instruct us to ask that God's will be done here on earth as it is in Heaven? Why do you think that is? Maybe God wants us to pray that because He knows that His will is not being done here on earth. God is in control from the stand point that He sees the biggest picture and has a plan where humanity is saved in the end, but he is not micro-managing every molecule on earth. That would negate His desire that we should have free will.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Are any Christians here like me and simply think God doesn't make things like this happen on earth, but rather allows them to, based on a natural order that he created? I don't think there's any hidden lining in any of this.

I have been trying to tell folks that as best I can.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Are any Christians here like me and simply think God doesn't make things like this happen on earth, but rather allows them to, based on a natural order that he created? I don't think there's any hidden lining in any of this.

Hiya VTHokieFan!! I am a Hokie fan too...

I am not a Christian and I believe that this was a natural disaster, not G-d..

Old 03-12-2011, 06:08 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
I can no longer STOP believing than you can START believing.

But I don't go around with insults and name calling and all that.

BTW, for all of you athiests out there: Prove that God does not exist. Go ahead, and good luck. You're going to need it.
That is no how it works...It is up to believers to prove that god does exist, and so far in more than 2000 years of trying believers have failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality