Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:44 AM

22 posts, read 21,046 times

Advertisements

in full hope of recovery, unity in assistance and sadness for the pain and suffering which would be
about the many lives we can extend our deepest sympathy.
thanks for notice and hopefully the worst of a potentially volatile happening has come to rest.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:59 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredre View Post
I can say that Christians believe that it will only get worse and end time events will make what has happened in Japan look absolutely tame by comparison.
I think we all know that but for the life of me I still cannot get my head around 50kg (110lb same size as a sack of cement) hailstones falling from the heavens not to mention a 200 million strong army all on horseback to boot crossing the dried up Euphrates etc. etc.

What is more fearsome of end times is the people that believe this will actually happen.

God does seem to have an affinity to wastelands. ME desert dwellers as the chosen people, deserts miles and miles of nothing.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:32 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,164,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Japan has a minor Christian population. Their major alternate religion is Shinto. It also has many many atheists, and Buddhists.

This morning, the fifth-most-massive earthquake in the past 100+ years, an estimated 8.9 on the Richter Scale, hit Japan with a geological epicenter near Tokyo. The consequences will be enormous and long-term, requiring the concentrated financial and spiritual help of America and the rest of the caring Western world. (I wonder if the Muslim world will also provide any aid? Let's watch for that!).

Our thoughts, and prayers if you wish, should be with these fine people in this monumental tragedy.

Peace and Love!
Instead of praying, why don't you suggest they donate some money?

Old 03-11-2011, 02:49 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,513 times
If you believe a lot of idiots on twitter, facebook, and other social media sites it's payback for Japan having bombed Pearl Harbor.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:06 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
If you believe a lot of idiots on twitter, facebook, and other social media sites it's payback for Japan having bombed Pearl Harbor.
That's an interesting theory, about which two points leaped immediately to my mind:

1. Pearl Harbor was attacked in 1941. Why wait nearly 60 years to exact divine retribution? I mean, wouldn't you think the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki qualified as payback?

And 2. It makes me kind of nervous about what kind of payback the United States can expect for having usurped a popularly elected government in Iran (1953) and installing the Shah? (Among other 'extracurricular activities' we have engaged in over the past century or so).

Old 03-11-2011, 03:21 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Well you can sure tell who the new people are, the OP is not a Christian and he is being a little facetious........ Just goes to show you that the earth is a natural living thing and the surface plates have a tendency to move, that's what happens when you're billions of years old, it happens, Japan just happens to be in one of the most active earthquake areas in the world so there is no divine power that has caused a natural disaster.
Ah well, I fell for it, didn't I? Very well, carry on then!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:54 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
I think we all know that but for the life of me I still cannot get my head around 50kg (110lb same size as a sack of cement) hailstones falling from the heavens not to mention a 200 million strong army all on horseback to boot crossing the dried up Euphrates etc. etc.

What is more fearsome of end times is the people that believe this will actually happen.

God does seem to have an affinity to wastelands. ME desert dwellers as the chosen people, deserts miles and miles of nothing.
NO...MAN has an affinity to wastelands in more ways than one!

Peace!

Old 03-11-2011, 04:21 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Faults in the earth make it happen, not G-d. You need to go read up on earthquakes and find out what actually makes them happen. I can understand man thinking it was G-d before we understood why they happen, but in the modern world there is not much excuse.

Modern science's comprehension of teutonic plates does not preclude the existance of God.

God made the teutonic plates; it stands to reason that He can then shift them as He sees fit.

Yes, in our understanding the death and destruction are devastating. But we do not have God's understanding of the situation.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:27 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Modern science's comprehension of teutonic plates does not preclude the existance of God.

God made the teutonic plates; it stands to reason that He can then shift them as He sees fit.

Yes, in our understanding the death and destruction are devastating. But we do not have God's understanding of the situation.
*mouses over clock on screen to check date, sees March 12, 2011, adjusts clock to March 12, 1011, all fixed now carry on*

Old 03-11-2011, 04:42 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
As if killing a million+ civilians with firebombing and nukes wasn't enough payback?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality