Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:24 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,193,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I am real.

The reality is, yes, agreed, billions of dollars in damage, people homeless, diseases, death, destruction, etc. It is awful, horrible, terrible, all those things. Agreed.

But to say those are the "only thing that comes out of them" is a very short sighted and severely limited point of view.

From John Mark Ministries:
"God creates peace and prosperity and God also creates calamity and disaster. God is the potter, we are the clay, He can create and us and He can destroy us. We are to humbly trust Him. We do not know our times. Our times are in his hand

Don't misunderstand. I don't think the quake is a GOOD thing. The pictures and the destruction; it is completely horrifying. But if one believes God is in control (which I guess you don't), then there might be a higher purpose. Let's say 1,000 people die. But let's say 1,000 more people turn to God because of the earthquake. Well, that's good. So good has come out of the destruction. We cannot see it from a vast perspective.
God sent is Son to save the world, not destruction.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:27 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,889,948 times
Maybe its G-ds way of punishing them for tolerating the gays?

Old 03-11-2011, 07:53 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,220,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
It was a natural occurance..God did not make it happen..

Whenever there is a tragedy of this magnitude it is people helping people, (because I believe everyone is good deep down) with no thought about who has what religion..

I will say a prayer (because I am a believer) as I donate to the immediate aid organization of my choice..
Job 37 5:13 (NIV)

God's voice thunders in marvelous ways; he does great things beyond our understanding. He says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth,' and to the rain shower, 'Be a mighty downpour.' So that all men he has made may know his work, he stops every man from his labor. The animals take cover; they remain in their dens. The tempest comes out from its chamber, the cold from the driving winds. The breath of God produces ice, and the broad waters become frozen.

He loads the clouds with moisture; he scatters his lightning through them. At his directionthey swirl around over the face of the whole earth to do whatever he commands them[/.

He brings the clouds to punish men, or to water his earth and show his love.

God controls the weather:

Last edited by june 7th; 03-11-2011 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Red is used for mod cuts and moderator actions.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:56 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,039,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
God sent is Son to save the world, not destruction.
But it is entirely possible that God chooses to use something like an earthquake to turn people to his Son.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Maybe its G-ds way of punishing them for tolerating the gays?
You are being deliberately misunderstanding and putting words in people's mouths.

No one said that.

In fact, if you read my posts, you will see I state unequivocally that I do not believe that God uses it as a punishment.

Quit relying on tired old stereotypes.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:09 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,470,166 times
Quote:
Let's say 1,000 people die. But let's say 1,000 more people turn to God because of the earthquake. Well, that's good. So good has come out of the destruction. We cannot see it from a vast perspective.
Killing people to get others to believe in a superstition, is not good, it is sick.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:15 PM

764 posts, read 1,418,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
First Christchurch and the lesbians who caused it, probably in Japan it will be the anime stuff's fault.

Was reading comments on Huffpo and one guy asked, has Pat Robertson blamed anyone yet?

Of course, wars and rumors of wars and massive earthquakes will feed the fear frenzy of believers for awhile, I mean look how close we are to May 2011 and the Mayan end 2012.

Jokes aside, it must really suck to be in an earthquake. I only experienced a quake once where the cups rattled and the house shook a bit. That was 40 years ago. We don't get much of that here in Southern Africa, no fault lines nearby.
What is supposed to happen May 2011? I know about the end of the world coming in December 2012.

No, being in an earthquake is no fun (for me anyway). I've been in several growing up in California but nothing on the magnitude of this one in Japan. I actually moved out of the state a few weeks before the 1989 quake that toppled the Oakland-San Francisco Bay Bridge, which was very near the area I was living.

I wonder if Pat Robertson would still blame the victims of a natural disaster if he or his family were ever caught in one?

Old 03-11-2011, 08:15 PM

@AshevilleNative--

It is a superstition TO YOU.

It is not a superstition to GOD.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:50 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,193,069 times
Quote:
But it is entirely possible that God chooses to use something like an earthquake to turn people to his Son.

No he uses the foolishness of preaching "that God so loved the world".

God using destruction is coming out of your own heart, not God's.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,470,166 times
Quote:
It is a superstition TO YOU.

It is not a superstition to GOD.
Obviously your superstition is that this god is real. For the sake of discussion, lets go with that, meaning statement makes it seem you believe that god caused the earthquake/tsunami deliberately to persuade others to view him as a loving an forgiving god. As a deliberate act that would make it cold blooded murder of a thousand (your number) as a method of recruitment? I see that view is really unacceptable at any level, yet you seem to approve?

This is the type of narcissistic mental disorder we are currently witnessing in the evening news every night by Col. Muammar Gaddafi in Libya, as he bombs his own subjects while strutting around in his robes.

I Japan also in the midst of a gay marriage movement to deserve such wrath?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.