Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times

Advertisements

i was reading that sometime next year that population of humans will reach 7 billion so when is enough,??? enough.!!! when will humans learn that there is only enough resources to sustain a fixed number of people on this planet.. remember everything has a limit, you can only get a fixed amount of sardines in one can..

whats your take.?? does it say in your bible that there is a limit,?? or does it just say keep breeding.??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 12:56 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
People will learn that when they stop believing they are the chosen children of a magical bearded guy in the sky and accept they are animals evolved on this planet just like all other life here...

...Or until the laws of nature ruthlessly and efficiently solve the problem for us.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:23 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Overpopulation is the biggest (no pun intended) problem which humanity faces. It either causes or exacerbates the other problems. We've been fruitful and multiplied for entirely too long already.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:34 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,469 times
Generally, throughout human history, as humans became too populous to survive in a given area, some would migrate to other areas. I imagine that we will continue to do that for quite sometime. Although virtually all of the land on the planet belongs to some country, much of the land is sparsely populated. For instance, my state of Kansas could house millions of more people. The space to house people generally is not the problem, just think how many people America could hold if it were as densely populated as New York City from sea to sea.

Other resources cause a problem for over-population such as water. Historically, whenever faced with a problem, humans have found an ingenious way to adapt. For instance, we can turn the salt water of the oceans into drinkable water now. It is still very expensive, but if things ever got to a point where we really needed to do it, we would do it on a larger scale.

Oil is running out, so we have found ways to harness the energy of the sun and wind. We have made farmland much more productive, getting more and more crops from the same acreage.

We already see people living on the oceans, and we might see more of that. As we deplete one resource, we find another. Not that we should live that way, but history has shown that we have.

I don't think over-population will be the cause of our ruin. We are more likely to destroy ourselves will nuclear bombs or global warming due to the release of greenhouse gases. There will likely continue to be regional famines, but for the most part the human population will continue to grow and feed and house itself.

Our extinction will come when things change too fast for us to adapt to them.

My post in no way shape or form should be construed as an endorsement for over-population, but is an observation of what has happened in the past to our species and other species.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
To take advise from the bible or any other supposed holy book is an exercise in utter stupidity.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Overpopulation is the biggest (no pun intended) problem which humanity faces. It either causes or exacerbates the other problems. We've been fruitful and multiplied for entirely too long already.

i guess this means god is going to start taking a lot of grunions to heaven realy soon fact!!!>>do to the ignorance, greed and corruption of man, the death and destucting thats coming in the not so distant future will be incomprehensible..

Old 03-15-2011, 02:00 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
To take advise from the bible or any other supposed holy book is an exercise in utter stupidity.
Come one Ash, there is lots of good advice in the bible. For example, failing to "render unto Caesar what is Caeser's" is a good way to get yourself crucified, and letting your women eat forbidden fruit without you means you don't get anymore nookie (forget any other consequence like death or working yourself until you die).

Old 03-15-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Generally, throughout human history, as humans became too populous to survive in a given area, some would migrate to other areas. I imagine that we will continue to do that for quite sometime. Although virtually all of the land on the planet belongs to some country, much of the land is sparsely populated. For instance, my state of Kansas could house millions of more people. The space to house people generally is not the problem, just think how many people America could hold if it were as densely populated as New York City from sea to sea.

Other resources cause a problem for over-population such as water. Historically, whenever faced with a problem, humans have found an ingenious way to adapt. For instance, we can turn the salt water of the oceans into drinkable water now. It is still very expensive, but if things ever got to a point where we really needed to do it, we would do it on a larger scale.

Oil is running out, so we have found ways to harness the energy of the sun and wind. We have made farmland much more productive, getting more and more crops from the same acreage.

We already see people living on the oceans, and we might see more of that. As we deplete one resource, we find another. Not that we should live that way, but history has shown that we have.

I don't think over-population will be the cause of our ruin. We are more likely to destroy ourselves will nuclear bombs or global warming due to the release of greenhouse gases. There will likely continue to be regional famines, but for the most part the human population will continue to grow and feed and house itself.

Our extinction will come when things change too fast for us to adapt to them.

My post in no way shape or form should be construed as an endorsement for over-population, but is an observation of what has happened in the past to our species and other species.
the part i highlighted in your post is impossiple to sustain..hypothetical>> lets just say that the peak amount of people this planet can sustain is 12 billion. what do we do then 0 population growth is inevitable at some point in the future..

Old 03-15-2011, 02:16 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,029,608 times
It may be worth considering when the Bible was written, what the life expectancies were, infant mortality rates, etc. It’s only in the last hundred years or so, that we have had a population explosion, largely due to improvements in modern medicine. Maybe, if people had only followed religion, this wouldn’t have happened!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:06 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt
but for the most part the human population will continue to grow and feed and house itself [
[quote=Hueffenhardt]/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
the part i highlighted in your post is impossiple to sustain..hypothetical>> lets just say that the peak amount of people this planet can sustain is 12 billion. what do we do then 0 population growth is inevitable at some point in the future..
I should have added "for quite some time to come". I didn't mean to imply that it will continue forever.

As for the "peak amount of people this planet can sustain", my point is that the peak amount changes as technology advances. We could lower our metabolism so that we need fewer calories. We could get it so that we have an "almost" endless supply of drinking water as we improve the technology of turning ocean water into drinking water. We could mechanically turn our exhaled carbon dioxide into oxygen for us to breathe using the "almost" limitless energy from solar radiation. We just covered food, water, and oxygen. I think the planet is a very long way from the peak amount of people the planet can sustain as technology expands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality