Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,027,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Wow... you're saying we're more uncivil than Israel or United Arab Emirates?

I have to disagree with you on that statement.

Being a blow hard isn't just a thing Christians do... evidence of that is on this forum everyday. Plenty of atheists and agnostics feel that the world would be better if religion disappeared. They may be the minority in the US, but they're still blow hards.

I'm agnostic, don't get me wrong, but I don't really think how New Orleans dealt with Katrina had anything to do with religion just like I don't think how Japan is dealing now has to do with religion.

I think Chango is right, it's more that Americans don't prepare and that we generally have crappy attitudes no matter what our religious beliefs are.

Out of all the countries in the world to compare us to you picked Israel and the UAE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 06:27 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,348,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Out of all the countries in the world to compare us to you picked Israel and the UAE?
I wasn't comparing us to Israel and UAE. They're both considered developed countries, Asheville said we were the most uncivil, I was pointing out that I didn't agree by a long shot.

We're nowhere near as bad as Israel or UAE in my opinion.

Meh, I guess I was using them in comparison of uncivilized developed nations, but if I were to compare us in terms of civility I wouldn't even use the term "uncivilized" to describe the US. That would be Asheville stating we're uncivilized, not me.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Based on how the average citizen treats average citizen, absolutely. Of course Israel, Northern Ireland have some really uncivil moments, but what is the driving force behind those? Oh yea, belief in gods

We are also the last industrialized nation to employ the death penalty. Percentage wise we have the greatest percentage of our citizens imprisoned, and 2nd place isn't even close.
I disagree, I think overall countries like Israel and Northern Ireland (which I don't think was on the list of developed nations I was looking at) are more uncivilized than we are.

Hatred runs deep in those countries, I don't even think it's comparable to what goes on here in the US. I don't understand how you could think it's not worse than here.

You can't erase hundreds or thousands of years of hatred, average citizen to average citizen things in those countries are FAR worse as far as civility than they are here.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:51 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,442,758 times
Quote:
I disagree, I think overall countries like Israel and Northern Ireland (which I don't think was on the list of developed nations I was looking at) are more uncivilized than we are.

Hatred runs deep in those countries, I don't even think it's comparable to what goes on here in the US. I don't understand how you could think it's not worse than here.

You can't erase hundreds or thousands of years of hatred, average citizen to average citizen things in those countries are FAR worse as far as civility than they are here.
Based on religion alone. How neighbor treats neighbor (aside from the religion based conflicts) is deplorable in this country.

What is the #1 item on the list of those with a survivalist mentality? Guns and plenty of ammunition, to defend against not government or those of a different religion but against their neighbors.

How strikingly different to see people huddled around a fire against the cold in Japan, eating what is probably a very limited supply of food, but they offered food and water to the reporter interviewing them .

In New Orleans they filmed a man wading through chest deep water, with a plasma TV he had just stolen on his shoulder.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I wasn't comparing us to Israel and UAE. They're both considered developed countries, Asheville said we were the most uncivil, I was pointing out that I didn't agree by a long shot.

We're nowhere near as bad as Israel or UAE in my opinion.

Meh, I guess I was using them in comparison of uncivilized developed nations, but if I were to compare us in terms of civility I wouldn't even use the term "uncivilized" to describe the US. That would be Asheville stating we're uncivilized, not me.

They are not uncivilized and yes we have very uncivilized ways of behaving in this country.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:57 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,143,604 times
Americans are just greedy and selfish, also rude. They use religion as a veil.
Many are about as compassionate as a pit viper. That's the American mentality, religious or not.
I would say those are uncivilized characteristics.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:02 PM

33,501 posts, read 37,009,555 times
To put this thread in perspective...It is obvious to me that the more religious a nation is the more uncivil it is. As an example of civil nations I give you Denmark and Sweden, and Japan (65% atheist) is not far behind...Check the crime statistics of these nations and then see if you can tell me if I, or the OP are wrong.

While you are at it check out how the most religious of nations treat each other and their citizens...

Societies worse off 'when they have God on their side' - Times Online

Old 03-15-2011, 07:09 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,442,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Americans are just greedy and selfish, also rude. They use religion as a veil.
Many are about as compassionate as a pit viper. That's the American mentality, religious or not.
I would say those are uncivilized characteristics.
Some use it as a veil, some use it as a tool or a lure for personal gain.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
They are not uncivilized and yes we have very uncivilized ways of behaving in this country.
I disagree, I've made my point.

The level of hatred that is prevalent in countries like UAE and Israel is not prevalent here. At least I don't think it is.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I disagree, I've made my point.

The level of hatred that is prevalent in countries like UAE and Israel is not prevalent here. At least I don't think it is.

Have you ever been to the UAE? Have you ever been to Israel? Do you really know about these countries?

I don't know about the UAE but I do know about Israel. Friday in Itamar a family of 5 were massacred by Palesntinian terrorists. The youngest was 3 months old. Two children managed to escape the massacre and now are living with grandparents.

This is what Israelis live with... The incitement in the Palestinian territories is rampant. Israel has a right to self defense.

Now I will speak to this country which has its issues too. We certainly have some very uncivilized behavior. We also have some very civilized behavior.

Everytime I see the tea party folks I see hatred.

When I see the WBC I see hatred.

When I see people looting in the midst of the devistation after a hurricane that is uncivilized behavior. When violence goes way up and it did after Katrina I see uncivilized behavior.

No country is perfect, but yes this country can be uncivilized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality