Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:50 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minahel.Fatima View Post
Well don't write such things about GOD. I guess if GOD become angry on you you will loose every thing in your life. so always gie espect and pray to GOD.
I have good proof that God is powerless to harm me if I own an iron chariot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 01:07 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
lets leave aside giants, and leave aside the broader question and evidence regarding them moving in peacefully (or even not moving in at all, but being canaanites who became monotheists). The canaanites we know from the Amarna letters were multiple city states - no overarching central authority. When the Assyrians attacked the Northern Kingdom, Assyria was a small empire, ruling most of mesopotamia and modern "syria". And, of course, the Israelites were divided into two kingdoms. Bablylonia (which took the south kingdom) was a larger empire than Assyria, and Rome of course far larger than either.

If I didnt see the mention of giants and other miracle material, and if I didnt have other evidence leading to skepticism of the conquest, I dont think I could deduce the conquest story to be embellished only from the issue of the balance of military forces.
If as you say and if I understand what you are implying that the Jews probably were locals that adopted a religion, then the conquests leading up to the "taking of the promised land" were exaggerated like the songs about Saul killing thousands and David killing tens of thousands many stories where the odds seemed insurmountable etc. were likely stretched. We may have just had a group of travelers that settled down and were very convincing of their traditions and the locals bought into it.

W/o going into the detail of my previous research as I no longer have my notes, the first diaspora also resulted in a rewrite of what we now know from an xian perspective as the OT.

Based on the story leading up to the promised land, the many conquests of Judah, the fighting arm, where did they lose this battle savvy? Surely a nation oppressed as the story goes would pass these superior battle skills onto subsequent generations? Even when they returned after the 1st diaspora, they should logically have been prepared for the Romans. We really do not have much knowledge just how this invasion happened from a xian biblical perspective, it is like at the NT suddenly the Romans are there and in full control.

These are the musings I have been perplexed with and have never had a satisfactory answer to. Add to that the idea that one day god loves the Jews, then they haughty and then god gets pee'ed off and then lets some other nation almost wipes them out and so on.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:12 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Based on the story leading up to the promised land, the many conquests of Judah, the fighting arm, where did they lose this battle savvy? Surely a nation oppressed as the story goes would pass these superior battle skills onto subsequent generations? Even when they returned after the 1st diaspora, they should logically have been prepared for the Romans. We really do not have much knowledge just how this invasion happened from a xian biblical perspective, it is like at the NT suddenly the Romans are there and in full control..
the hasmoneans (maccabees - the Jewish rulers of the time from 140 BCE to about 50 BCE) managed to defeat the seleucid empire to gain independence, than proceeded to expand their kingdom taking over nearby gentile areas - edom, samaria, the gallilee (which they 'settled' with judaens) So they certainly had battle savy only a hundred years before the roman conquest.

Why the difference? 1. Internal divisions among the Jews 2. The overwhelming size, skill, and power of Rome. I mean really, Rome beat Carthage, which was the super power of the mediterranean world, and then beat Macedonia.

You should read Josephus on The Jewish War, and also read something on the rise of Rome.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
If as you say and if I understand what you are implying that the Jews probably were locals that adopted a religion,
thats one theory - Amazon.com: The Tribes of Yahweh: A Sociology of the Religion of Liberated Israel, 1250-1050 B. C. E. (9780883444993): Norman K. Gottwald: Books

Old 03-16-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I have good proof that God is powerless to harm me if I own an iron chariot.

these days the folks whom G-d would help have tanks and automatic weapons, instead of just Naue Type 2 swords, so dont get too confident.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:33 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Quote:
these days the folks whom G-d would help have tanks and automatic weapons, instead of just Naue Type 2 swords, so dont get too confident.
If God couldn't defeat an iron chariot, how is he gonna get by my lexus???

Old 03-16-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
If God couldn't defeat an iron chariot, how is he gonna get by my lexus???

Can you throw a javelin from your lexus, with accuracy, while its moving?

Old 03-16-2011, 01:50 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,168 times
Quote:
IIUC a practical steam engine required MUCH more precise metal working than anyone had at that time.
Maybe, but with a little inspiration and hard work, they could have had the ability within a century or so.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Maybe, but with a little inspiration and hard work, they could have had the ability within a century or so.

I dont think so. the work of watt and newcomen came after centuries of development in metalurgy, in math, in machining. Which came after centuries of development of mining, etc.

http://www.alternatehistory.com/disc...ad.php?t=57307

Old 03-16-2011, 02:25 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,494 times
Quote:
Can you throw a javelin from your lexus, with accuracy, while its moving?
What relevance would that have, exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality