Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 11:44 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hue View Post
Big long post for nothing seeker....do you not think that mainstream religions have Phd's in clergy..?
What gives you the notion that main stream Religions are un-educated..?

Where in the world have u been anyway?
You gonna have to rephrase that entire post as I have no clue what you are trying to say. If the long post means nothing why cite it and respond?

Do I know you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Simple answer. The great flood in the bible is not the only time in history that a religion or people have used this. It is in almost every religion.

Also, when did we discover the world was round? Right, thousands of years later. So, to the people back then, a flood in their known corner of the earth would make one think the whole world had flooded. You need to think about this logically here, just because one book says it happened this way does not mean that it actually happened as it says.
I disagree. This is a central tenet of belief and although you and I agree that logic trumps the myth, it is where all current living things are supposed to originate from, creation is destroyed in this flood myth and science hace shown it to be totally implausible, many folk still take it literally.
Quote:
The Christian faith has taken many things from various religions of old, this could be a fine example of that and there is proof to show this.
Agreed
Quote:
Also, what if the world was always shifting? Wait, it is...haha I forgot something we call earthquakes. Not something new, they have been around since the earth was formed. Considering the earth is in a constant state of reformation. Did you know Japan was recently moved from their last quake?
Yes I know but what has this to do with my train of thought?

If you missed it, I took the example of light diffraction, the rainbow as a covenant of god never to destroy the world again by a flood, guess he felt like a doofus after that fine act of throwing his toyz out the cot. Then I worked backwards to the actual ark and its implausibility, the water cycle etc.

These now known/discovered phenomenon, the physics behind structures, the capability of ancient man compared to modem man's capability can only lead one to the conclusion, this did not happen as reported.

If you scratch that main theme out of the bible as made up or myth of legend, what are you left with? The rest of the story follows on from there. The word of god is thus questionable and cannot be trusted.

This is just one aspect of the biblical myth I can refute with simple science and physics. It is kept simple as going into more detail will serve no further purpose, the point is made.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Look Seeker, I understand your envy of the "REEEEEEEIGNING...and DEEEEEEEEEEFENDING....WOOOOOOOOORLD CHAAAAAAAAAMPEEEEEEEN.....PHILOOOOOOOOSOPHYYYYYYYY "--*******GOD EXISTS*******. Nothing else comes close. I know that drives you crazy...but THAT IS as empirical a fact as anything.
No empirical facts are not what you claim they are. Sorry FAIL again, maybe look up what empirical evidence constitutes.
Quote:
I said the concept of "Belief in a God" has been determined by evolution to be the "best" mental trait...as it currently presents 9 to 10 times more prevalently than "Nonbelief". Hey...that's how "science" works...by "crunching numbers"....don't blame me for the "argumentum ad numerum"...that's how science draws it's conclusions and makes it's determinations.
You lack of understanding of the scientific method is showing. It is not number crunching or appeal to numbers. Any scientist that tries this will be scoffed at.
Quote:
Look, you guys are like a sports team that has a record of 10Wins against 90Losses, but goes around telling the Championship team that has always whooped up on them, about how they "don't know how to play"...And the 10 & 90 record doesn't matter, they are, in fact, "the best team"...and, "we're gonna get you". All the members of the other team that has trounced them over, and over, and over again, just shake their heads and say to each other, "Get a load of those guys, we mow over them like they aren't even there, and yet they're talkin' smack!"
Non sequitur. You only appeal to numbers/population/popularity that does not make what you say or believe true.
Quote:
When you guys put together a "decent team" that has some kind of "game", maybe you'll have some "CRED"...until then you are coming from a position that is so weak that it really isn't even taken seriously, let alone looked at as a contender. No matter how often you declare yourselves "The Team on the Rise", your "10 & 90" record in the contest of, Belief vs Non belief, PROVES otherwise. And BTW, the improvement in your record to "11 & 89" isn't turning any heads.

Your game, is not now...nor will it EVER be...anything but a loser. You need a whole new "game plan" if you ever expect to compete. And that's not an insult...just the way it is.

You'll never beat God...becaaaaaaaause--HE'S GOD!...and the SOURCE and CREATOR of you, me, the Earth, this solar system, the Milky Way, all the other galaxies, and EVERYTHING else in the ENTIRE universe. When you get hip to that you'll be a lot better off.
Blather blather not worth a response, you are obviously very emotionally vested in this, I understand that but sadly emotions do not win debates, facts do. Your alleged facts are fallacious at best, at worst really pathetic.

BTW I have thus far only used HS science, but that seems over your head. I think your immaturity is showing in your response with all the loooong words as if that is supposed to convince anyone, least of all me.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:11 PM

912 posts, read 827,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
You gonna have to rephrase that entire post as I have no clue what you are trying to say. If the long post means nothing why cite it and respond?

Do I know you?
Your on a public forum where people use names other than their real names. What are u talking about, "do I know you"....

Anyway.....most of your arguments if you haven't noticed depreciate and assume the intellectual knowledge of Religious organizations.
Followed by Science class suggesting that you are going to update the world.
So I will re-phrase as per request.......
Many main stream Religious organizations have fully recognized prof Phd's in their organization....
Moreover it was a Catholic Priest who discovered The Big Bang , a Physicist.
Please submitt something that is interesting with respects to your Philosophy

Old 03-24-2011, 12:21 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Your in some kind of a dream world. Wake up and smell the coffee. Information is a tool. Theres even baloney about man not landing on the moon.
Little sites and threads can be found to argue anything. Are you an expert who has spent many years studying these things..? Whats the point of bringing a mickey mouse thread to a forum without a professional analysis of the charges made. and then sit there and try to back up un-professional
erratic non-sense..?
Seriously....this blows me away for this morning and good thing I'm feeling chipper and on the ball.
The very tool that anti Christian movements want to use in hard coal facts including ....oh what do you call it...................

PEER REVIEW..........where is it....?

Obviously something somewhere is very interested in disrupting civilization and using Religion to do it.....I wonder what that something is?

Theres so much aggression against Christianity on line ect ect, that it would be bazaar not to think there is an intent to create disorder.
And, its doing quite well. I will give you guys one guess.

Is-ham your favorite dish or something...?

That ought to wrap this up just dandy
WTF are you rattling on about? My link on the BS Gospels and other evidence of Jesus supposed existence? Well if you even had taken the time to go over it you would have seen that it is compiled information on evidence, research and work by scholars and historians and such. Or are you rattling off on my interest in the Norse?

Oh BTW I dont by into the whackloons claims that the landing on the moon was faked. I also don't put all my credence for evidence in one little book that claims a bunch but produces nothing to back it up.

And no I dont like ham.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Your on a public forum where people use names other than their real names. What are u talking about, "do I know you"....
You asked where have you been hence my question.

Quote:
Anyway.....most of your arguments if you haven't noticed depreciate and assume the intellectual knowledge of Religious organizations.
I dunno where you get that idea from. You generalize w/o any citation that I can defend. I assume nothing yet you seem to be free to do just the opposite
Quote:
Followed by Science class suggesting that you are going to update the world.
So I am not allowed to use a simple analogy which BTW is a given fact? Sorry if you see it as a science class.
Quote:
So I will re-phrase as per request.......
Many main stream Religious organizations have fully recognized prof Phd's in their organization....
Phd's in philosophy, yeah I can get one of those too, takes two years and will be a breeze for me.
Quote:
Moreover it was a Catholic Priest who discovered The Big Bang , a Physicist.
He discovered it? That is news, I thought it was only a "theory"
Quote:
Please submitt something that is interesting with respects to your Philosophy
Again I do not understand, what philosophy, you want my credentials in the sciences?

Dunno what you are so uptight about, I responded to our resident Phd mystic and he and I go back a long way. We may not agree on everything and that is ok.

Is he some kind of prophet to you guys? It really seems like I have struck a nerve or two.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 PM

912 posts, read 827,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
WTF are you rattling on about? My link on the BS Gospels and other evidence of Jesus supposed existence? Well if you even had taken the time to go over it you would have seen that it is compiled information on evidence, research and work by scholars and historians and such. Or are you rattling off on my interest in the Norse?

Oh BTW I dont by into the whackloons claims that the landing on the moon was faked. I also don't put all my credence for evidence in one little book that claims a bunch but produces nothing to back it up.

And no I dont like ham.
Good , good to see you don't like ham. As you notice and agree it is a "compiled information on evidence"
Where is the compiled information which acts in contrast to an effort which clearly argues a specific point?
The info pack is not in balance , without prof overview which offers reasonable review....to a "specific claim"
Therefore it is not a viable source of information

Old 03-24-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Just something to think about for everyone one here. Religious people, both deity based and non-deity based have nothing to prove. The ones that question it's validity do have to prove it wrong. That is how it works. I don't have to prove what I believe to be true. If you don't believe it, fine. I could care less. But, when you start saying that I am wrong and you are right, then you have to prove it 100% without a doubt, and with physical evidence. Since most religions are based in the spiritual or mind realms, there is no physical evidence to prove it wrong and unless you believe in it, the only proof can be found in the spiritual and mind realms. Are you seeing how this works? You can't measure faith, spirituality, or the mind.

I remember reading a study of some scientists who where trying to prove there was no soul by weighing people and dead bodies. It's funny that people assume the soul is attached to the body in this realm and that it can be weighed.

If you want to be able to argue with spirituality, you have to understand it first. Obviously nobody disagrees with me understands spirituality or religion.

You see, people who believe in a religion or are spiritual have nothing to lose if they are wrong. It is only the non-believers who suffer. I don't mean in hell or by fire. You might not even know you are being punished until you wake up(spiritually) and realize you where wrong.

I believe in past lives and that until now, I was suffering because I was without the spiritual knowledge I now have. In the past few years that I have developed this knowledge my life has changed completely. I have a better understanding of nature, and of how the world works. I am healthier, smarter, and simply better all around since I started my journey. Guess how my journey started? As an atheist who did not believe in anything and that all things spiritual were a joke. Now, three years and a few months later it is amazing where my life has lead me.

But, like me before, you will never understand until you understand what it is to be spiritual.

First, many people who believe in God do not realize that in every discussion about theism, their assertion is implicit: God exists. They do not need to say it. Every argument they make is under the assumption that the statement “God exists” is true. The fact that they identify themselves as believers is enough to serve as an assertion that a deity or deities exists. No assertion is being made by an atheist . The word “god” hasn’t even been defined and the nature of belief in that god has not been described; these must take place before any substantial discussion about the nature of God can begin. Atheists have no reason to provide these descriptions – without any beliefs about God, they have no reason to do so. It must be presumed that this onus rests upon the theist. The mere mention of one’s belief in God serves as an assertion that God exists.

Secondly, a person who rejects an assertion does not need to provide any justification for it. The evidence has to be provided by the party making the assertion. The person rejecting the assertion needs to provide nothing at all. Many theists try to escape this basic fact of life by declaring (in opposition to common sense) that their assertions need to be justified only to themselves in their personal experience.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:36 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
I am saving up so we can retire to Switzerland.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Good , good to see you don't like ham. As you notice and agree it is a "compiled information on evidence"
Where is the compiled information which acts in contrast to an effort which clearly argues a specific point?
The info pack is not in balance , without prof overview which offers reasonable review.
Therefore it is not a viable source of information.
Then by all means, please give your refuting evidence to the dates, and research that the experts gave. Bible doesn't cut it either. Go to the link I gave and refute each one with your evidence. Because I have found none. I used that site because it is compiled information from all sources used, it would have taken too long to post each individual piece of research. There are links on there to investigate them yourself. And maybe the info isn't "balanced" because there is no evidence to the contrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality