Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:33 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,181 times

Advertisements

What is wrong with people these days? When it comes to religion or spirituality why is it always, "my way or the highway?"

Honestly, I could care less what you believe. More than likely it is nowhere similar to what I believe. That also means that it is none else's business what you and I believe.

Everyone thinks that it is always the religious and spiritual people that are standing on a soap box preaching to the crowds, trying to convert the masses. But, I know more Atheists that are standing on a soap box than I do religious or spiritual people.

What's wrong with having a belief in something like a God, or something spiritual? Everyone believes something when it comes to why we are here and how we got here. Who cares if it is scientifically or spiritually based? Neither one can prove the other wrong. Science doesn't have all the answers and neither does religion. Science is simply theory when it comes to the "How we got here thing." They can't prove anything when it comes to the creation of the earth or even the universe, it is all just educated guesses.

So, I have to ask, are you an atheist on a soap box? or are you part of the crowd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 09:37 AM

26 posts, read 48,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
What is wrong with people these days? When it comes to religion or spirituality why is it always, "my way or the highway?"

Honestly, I could care less what you believe. More than likely it is nowhere similar to what I believe. That also means that it is none else's business what you and I believe.

Everyone thinks that it is always the religious and spiritual people that are standing on a soap box preaching to the crowds, trying to convert the masses. But, I know more Atheists that are standing on a soap box than I do religious or spiritual people.

What's wrong with having a belief in something like a God, or something spiritual? Everyone believes something when it comes to why we are here and how we got here. Who cares if it is scientifically or spiritually based? Neither one can prove the other wrong. Science doesn't have all the answers and neither does religion. Science is simply theory when it comes to the "How we got here thing." They can't prove anything when it comes to the creation of the earth or even the universe, it is all just educated guesses.

So, I have to ask, are you an atheist on a soap box? or are you part of the crowd?
what exactly is an atheist? And whats your beliefs??

Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
I'm not an atheist on a soap box. I'm more of an agnostic atheist and I think we are all entitled to our own beliefs - as long as they aren't harming anyone. I think the world is a more interesting place because we aren't all the same.
You probably know a lot more atheists than you think you do - you just only notice the ones that upset you. It's the same for atheists that complain about Christians. Or Christians that complain about Muslims. It's not all Christians - only the ones that constantly tell you that you are wicked and such. All Muslims aren't terrorists - they are just the ones that get the most attention. The more you get to know people - the more you will see that people are just people - no matter what their beliefs. Their are alwasy going to be outspoken people who voice their opinions louder than everyone else, no matter what their opinions happen to be.
And while I'm not an atheist on a soap box - I'd like to think I'm a little bit more unique and spunky than just being part of the crowd! Who wants to be just another face in the crowd!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadethatch View Post
what exactly is an atheist? And whats your beliefs??
Atheism is the disbelief of a deity or higher beings. My beliefs would take too long to post on this site. I embrace many religious and spiritual beliefs both old and new.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm not an atheist on a soap box. I'm more of an agnostic atheist and I think we are all entitled to our own beliefs - as long as they aren't harming anyone. I think the world is a more interesting place because we aren't all the same.
You probably know a lot more atheists than you think you do - you just only notice the ones that upset you. It's the same for atheists that complain about Christians. Or Christians that complain about Muslims. It's not all Christians - only the ones that constantly tell you that you are wicked and such. All Muslims aren't terrorists - they are just the ones that get the most attention. The more you get to know people - the more you will see that people are just people - no matter what their beliefs. Their are alwasy going to be outspoken people who voice their opinions louder than everyone else, no matter what their opinions happen to be.
And while I'm not an atheist on a soap box - I'd like to think I'm a little bit more unique and spunky than just being part of the crowd! Who wants to be just another face in the crowd!
Actually, Most people I know I do know what their beliefs are. It is very important to me to know what someone believes. Why? So I don't offend them or their beliefs. I could care less what they actually believe.

I agree, who wants to just be another face in the crowd? I don't, but when it comes to the soap box, you are either on the box or in the crowd.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:00 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
Quote:
Actually, Most people I know I do know what their beliefs are. It is very important to me to know what someone believes. Why? So I don't offend them or their beliefs. I could care less what they actually believe.

I agree, who wants to just be another face in the crowd? I don't, but when it comes to the soap box, you are either on the box or in the crowd.
I guess I don't know why you would think that. Not all atheist have the same beliefs - just like not all Christians have the same beliefs. Do you think that all Christians are either on a soapbox or a face in the crowd? Can the same be said for all Deists, Wiccans, Pagans, etc? I don't know why you think you have to be one or the other.

I try not to offend anyone's beliefs, either. I usually know what religion all of my friends are, too. However, some of my friends that are Catholic or Christian actually are agnostic.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:06 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,733,492 times
I don't stand on soapboxes and I am not part of any crowd. I am a freethinker and an atheist and I enjoy posting on this forum along with the Atheist/Agnostic forum.

I don't understand your question really. I don't care what anyone believes except when it directly affects me and it's made mandatory.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,424,534 times
I believe what I believe, I don't care what beliefs other people hold. I do not seek out the company of others with similar beliefs, I don't need their company to bolster my belief system.

My ideas and beliefs are a result of a convoluted upbringing, I got there through a long trek through life, no one else has had the exact same experience that I have therefore I would never expect them to think just as I do.

I am neither on a soap box or in the crowd. Your need to put people into one of these two groups makes it seem like you have something to prove rather then any real interest in what people feel and think.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,069 times
Default Well, let's dissect, shall we?

(My responses in quote box, and in blue; sincerely; rifleman!)

Quote:

Quote:
Answ: this is, rather, a particularly Christian affectation. What is the atheist's "way", pray tell? We simply don't believe in your, or any, God entity, since, after all, there's absolutely no physical evidence, and the written stuff is quite contradictory.

Quote:
Answ: then why do you come to a popular, public and open debate forum? This is not a soap-box format out in the city park, where I'd be disturbing your quiet picnic afternoon with my megaphone. Nope; you can choose to participate here or to leave.

Let us all know if you do ever see an atheist up on a soap-box though; it would be extremely rare!

Quote:
Again, please take a picture for us all to see! If you're referring to sites like this one, then you are way off base! But on the other hand, I can easily find Christians with their "The World is Ending! Repent!" sandwich boards or old painted-up Evangelical vans at least 2 - 3 times a year, and that's just in our very small town here out on the lonely prairies.
What's wrong with having a belief in something like a God, or something spiritual? Everyone believes something when it comes to why we are here and how we got here. Who cares if it is scientifically or spiritually based? Neither one can prove the other wrong. Science doesn't have all the answers and neither does religion.

Quote:
Actually, one a one-on-one basis, science has pretty much demolished all the old Christian "explanations" [esp., since they rely entirely on illogical, improbable and generally impossible MAGIC and defy common sense and observable evidence]. Science also demolishes blindered faith and the necessity for a convenient all-knowing omnipotent entity.

Of course, if you choose to believe in such improbables, that's entirely your right, and I do not object. There: on record! But... just don't come here and try to out-logic a rational, step-wise process, and then deny anything and everything that the Scientific Method (SM) discovers. Of course, you deny those discoveries only if they confound or fly in the face of some long-held religious nonsense. That part is of your making, not ours.
Science is simply theory when it comes to the "How we got here thing." They can't prove anything when it comes to the creation of the earth or even the universe, it is all just educated guesses.

Quote:
Yup; there it is: an off-the-cuff denial-dismissal of increasingly more thorough and logical guesses. And of proven facts like Evolution and our primate lineage. Of course, you parrot the standard "it's only a theory!" deflection and denial-babble, which completely mis-represents the correct definition of what a theory is in science. Predictably, you are trying to conflate it with some sort of off-hand out of the blue guess work.

I'm willing to bet you could not, off the top of your head, provide us here and now, in point form, the key steps and requirements of the SM.

As well, how about all the facts we have uncovered, like Evolution, or ancient earth geology, or dinosaur dating or DNA genome mapping proving ancient lineages and links to our predecessor primates, .. or....

It's all just babble to you? Hardly. But I also understand that my rather extensive multi-degreed education in biology, biochemistry, genetics, geology and engineering, all of that taking well over 15 years, with an additional 25 years in professional careers which required that I get it right, probably somewhat exceeds your high school science class credentials, back in what was it, the '70srresearch?

BTW, this is NOT some ego-tripping for me. Rather, I'm simply saying my ideas are always well-supported and referencible in the published literature. or in common sense and my field experience as a scientist. Your ideas come from what again? A frantic denialist culture, now officially trembling for fear of it's future demise at the hand of fact and

Factual things have advanced a bit since the old dayz, old sock. Oh, and don't forget the amazing power of prediction which a correct scientific idea provides. As in: if such and such is correct, we should then be able to see so and so. And then, when we do, then it sorta confirms our "wild theories", don't it?

Face it; you don't have a case here. You just don't like the inevitability and strengths of modern scientific facts (also called "theories" in the professional trade, BTW...)

Sorry, that's just not how it all works, and that approach only shows it's you who are unread, except for time spent on those idiot Christian websites with their silly mis-information tactics and purposeful lies. How flattering for you
r side, huh?
No crowd, no soap-box. Just the annoying truth, plowing on with inevitability and persistence. I've made my point. Your turn!

Last edited by rifleman; 03-22-2011 at 10:22 AM..

Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,802,225 times
Quote:

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo298/kenoshamarge/soapboxsmileyface.gif (broken link)

I AM on a soapbox. If widespread belief didn't effect everyone else, I wouldn't worry about it, but religious belief (specifically fundamentalist religious belief) stifles and chokes the development and progress of civilization. It keeps us from being all that we can be.

Belief that humans are the chosen children of the creator of the universe who will live on in a glorified state after death encourages people to live for their supposed afterlife at the expense of the world they live in today. If the earth is simply a resource given to them to use, it does not seem logical or necessary to care for and respect it.

If the REAL good life is to come, there is no reason to make the world especially good now, in this life.

If we are anything but evolved animals of this planet, we falsely think of ourselves as superior to other life, and not subject to the natural laws and limits which govern the development of life on this planet.

If we deny hard-won knowledge today, we will never reap the benefits that knowledge today could have brought us tomorrow.

More "primitive" lifestyles created religons which kept those people's lives and the world at large balanced and sustainable, but modern institutional religon creates divisions, spreads false wisdom, causes wars, death, environmental degradation, irrational hate, superiority complexes, overpopulation and most importantly artifically seperates us from the natural world which we rightfully being to. It must be stopped.

If there is a god, he/she/it would not have brought such destructive institutions to being. They must be stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality