Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:51 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times

Advertisements

I understand that this documentary is a few years old, but I hadn't seen it until now. I knew about these maniacs, but never witnessed such an inside look at this unfortunate mess of a family. So in case you have never seen it, check it out. It's pretty captivating. Also, I was hesitant to put it in this particular forum because IMO they are not a church and have nothing to do with religion. But alas, I went for it. If you think it should be somewhere else Mods, then by all means move it...

The Most Hated Family in America | Watch Free Documentary Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 AM

I also read the Louie has a new doc coming out where he went back to visit them again recently. I'm looking forward to it (unless it's already out?).

Edit: I found it. I didn't watch it yet, but plan to at some point in the near future....

Part 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ticxD...layer_embedded

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byDXu...layer_embedded

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gXSl...layer_embedded

Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ua1Y...el_video_title

Last edited by availableusername; 04-04-2011 at 01:04 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 03:02 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I also read the Louie has a new doc coming out where he went back to visit them again recently. I'm looking forward to it (unless it's already out?).

Edit: I found it. I didn't watch it yet, but plan to at some point in the near future....

Part 1 :
YouTube - Louis Theroux - America's Most Hated Family IN CRISIS (1/4)

Part 2:
YouTube - Louis Theroux - America's Most Hated Family IN CRISIS (2/4)

Part 3:
YouTube - Louis Theroux - America's Most Hated Family IN CRISIS (3/4)

Part 4:
YouTube - Louis Theroux - America's Most Hated Family IN CRISIS (4/4)

I saw it last night. Like all his other documentaries I found it quite fascinating, as he tends to hand the people the rope with which to hang themselves so to speak rather than do it himself... For anyone who does not know Louis Theroux I would really recommend all his interviews and "weird week-end" series.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:16 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,770 times
Thank you for posting this documentary. I really surprised myself by the raw emotion it brought out in me. Only because I've seen these idiots first hand when they picketed my sons school last year and I was determined not to give them one once of satisfaction of seeing me upset. With each 15 minute episode, it just got more and more ridiculous, awful, heartbreaking and offensive. Finally by the 4th part I was in tears. You could tell just by the look on Louis' face that he was in shock, frustrated and just incredulous at how these people treated one another in their own family, others, and himself. There's absolutely no words that I can come up with that haven't already been said before about these people. What was so damn sad is that they successfully sucked in a journalist and his family into their cult. Then his own daughter had to leave her family forever. I'm very happy to hear that their "church" is imploding on itself. They are losing people left and right and that in itself is justice.

So, enough about them because I've given them too much attention already in the above paragraph. I would also like to thank you for introducing me to Louis Theroux. I've never heard of this guy before but I'll be looking for his documentaries from now on. He reminds me of Lisa Ling, who is awesome IMO.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:53 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2011 View Post
Thank you for posting this documentary. I really surprised myself by the raw emotion it brought out in me. Only because I've seen these idiots first hand when they picketed my sons school last year and I was determined not to give them one once of satisfaction of seeing me upset. With each 15 minute episode, it just got more and more ridiculous, awful, heartbreaking and offensive. Finally by the 4th part I was in tears. You could tell just by the look on Louis' face that he was in shock, frustrated and just incredulous at how these people treated one another in their own family, others, and himself. There's absolutely no words that I can come up with that haven't already been said before about these people. What was so damn sad is that they successfully sucked in a journalist and his family into their cult. Then his own daughter had to leave her family forever. I'm very happy to hear that their "church" is imploding on itself. They are losing people left and right and that in itself is justice.

So, enough about them because I've given them too much attention already in the above paragraph. I would also like to thank you for introducing me to Louis Theroux. I've never heard of this guy before but I'll be looking for his documentaries from now on. He reminds me of Lisa Ling, who is awesome IMO.

I must admit to being surprised that such an awful bunch of people don't end up being beaten up or even shot ( especially in the US with so many gun owners). I think they strive on upsetting people though. I love the idea of a counter movement with signs of their own to beat them at their own game. I would love to see a picket of their "church" services .

You can never win an argument with fundamentalists like these thoguh because there is no arguing with what is utter irrationality and a totally closed mind. You can't argue with what I would say is tantamount to insanity. When you're mind is so warped and so devoid of basic humanity I think the fight is already lost IMO.

I really love Louis' style of journalism ( his brother Marcel also is very good) because it exposes people without being patronising to the viewer. All his documentaries are excellent but of particular note the one with the White Supremacist Boers in South Africa ( including a short interview with Terreblanche) , Neo-Nazi group in the US, Street Gang and Police force in Philly, Extreme Zionists in Israel, and American Survivalists. His Dad is Paul Theroux the excellent author and travel writer ( he wrote books like "The Mosquito Coast")

List of Louis Theroux Documentaries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I must admit to being surprised that such an awful bunch of people don't end up being beaten up or even shot ( especially in the US with so many gun owners). I think they strive on upsetting people though.

Just for what it's worth, a big goal of these people is for folks who see them to assault them in order for them to in turn sue them. This is not talked about, at least in the first doc (haven't watched the second yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I love the idea of a counter movement with signs of their own to beat them at their own game. I would love to see a picket of their "church" services .

LULZ

Old 04-04-2011, 09:20 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,926 times
You might like the discussion we had on the Westboro Baptist Church recently: //www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ist-group.html

Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
You might like the discussion we had on the Westboro Baptist Church recently: //www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ist-group.html

Cool thanks. Were these docs linked on there? Sorry if they were...

Old 04-04-2011, 01:46 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I understand that this documentary is a few years old, but I hadn't seen it until now. I knew about these maniacs, but never witnessed such an inside look at this unfortunate mess of a family. So in case you have never seen it, check it out. It's pretty captivating. Also, I was hesitant to put it in this particular forum because IMO they are not a church and have nothing to do with religion. But alas, I went for it. If you think it should be somewhere else Mods, then by all means move it...

The Most Hated Family in America | Watch Free Documentary Online
These people are nuts. The best thing we could do is to ignore them. I think they like the attention.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:30 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
I think the children need to be removed from the homes because they are being emotionally abused...
Any parent who puts children on the side of the street with those sorts of hate mongering signs needs not to have children period.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality