Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:07 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's an interesting posting. I'm curious as to why you begin by assuming that people are automatically opposed to other religions. I'm not; I don't need an 'olive branch.' As far as I'm concerned, everyone else is more than welcome to practice their religious beliefs...or absence of same. All I ask is that they don't intrude on mine.

I suppose that's way too simplistic, but as we say here in Brooklyn, waddaya gonna do?
I didn't say everyone was. Many people do have it out for religion and some religions have it out for people as well. I am trying to bring everyone together and work on a solution or a common ground. But it appears that two groups that are very noticeable on this forum will not allow this. The Christians and Atheists refuse to find common ground and this only an echo of what is really going on out in the real world.

I honestly don't understand why people can't just leave others be. THat is the reason for all my threads on here. I am trying to understand what people are thinking with these agendas that they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 10:08 AM

33,522 posts, read 37,121,123 times
But I think your beliefs are archaic, but your are welcome to them....That is not a bash...It is my opinion.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Hatred is such a systemic part of religion, it is the core, that we see the ET crowd express their utter hatred of the UR crowd in these forums. The start of the Iraq war brought to light that muslims have their own sects and hate each other beyond reason. For years the protestant/catholic killing and bombing in Northern Ireland, all over the stupidity of gods that don't exist.
No, it is not a systemic part of religion. It might be a part of Islamic, Judaism and Christianity. But it is hardly a part of any other religion.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Isn't it strange that nobody gets "attacked" for their beliefs and/or thoughts when they keep them to themselves?
If you don't want anybody to "attack" you, why do you keep handing out ammunition?
If you would like to just state your beliefs why not post in a blog?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Seriously? Where did this come from. Other than Christian Based laws and attempts, show me some laws or religious groups trying to invade school curriculum.

This is an official challenge. Refusing to do so only proves that it is not religion and spirituality that is the problem. It is Christianity and Atheists that are going at it and spilling into other religions arena, mashing everything up as one.
Yes, going off topic in your own thread. I thought the topic was 'what would make you let others practice their own beliefs?'

Answer: No one's prohibiting you from practicing your beliefs.

Also, I didn't say all religious groups did that sort of thing. When atheists say religion in a broad term they're generally referring to the religion they're most familiar with. Also, you keep labeling atheists as being a single monolithic group, which is untrue. You make all these threads rattling off your nonsense that atheists are standing on their soap box, aren't letting religious people practice their beliefs etc. You can practice and believe whatever you want to. No one's forcing you to do otherwise. Also, I'm not mashing up everything into one and neither are the majority of atheists. The reason you are 'attacked' is because you keep spouting nonsense about atheists and postulating it as fact.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:21 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
No, it is not a systemic part of religion. It might be a part of Islamic, Judaism and Christianity. But it is hardly a part of any other religion.
Minor religions, or local cults are minor or local problems.

Major religions are major and global problems.

As these religions generate and perpetuate the hatred that may well end civilization, and is certainly generating vast amounts of suffering globally, then RELIGION is the problem.

The only laws on the books in this country that discriminate against any single group of people are christian based. Fortunately through common sense and discarding religious hatred many have been removed from the books, i.e. equal rights, women's rights, etc. yet that the stone age mentality has implemented a new law that discriminates in this day and time is criminally stupid.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Yes, going off topic in your own thread. I thought the topic was 'what would make you let others practice their own beliefs?'

Answer: No one's prohibiting you from practicing your beliefs.

Also, I didn't say all religious groups did that sort of thing. When atheists say religion in a broad term they're generally referring to the religion they're most familiar with. Also, you keep labeling atheists as being a single monolithic group, which is untrue. You make all these threads rattling off your nonsense that atheists are standing on their soap box, aren't letting religious people practice their beliefs etc. You can practice and believe whatever you want to. No one's forcing you to do otherwise. Also, I'm not mashing up everything into one and neither are the majority of atheists. The reason you are 'attacked' is because you keep spouting nonsense about atheists and postulating it as fact.
You did say that hatred was the core of religion. Everyone knows that is not true, but it still doesn't mean some people don't try to make it that way. You always hear people saying religion caused the crusades and religion is the reason for all wars, religion is invading our school, religion is invading our government. When in all truth, it is mostly Christian and Islamic groups that are doing it. These groups don't speak for every member of their faith. But, a lot of atheists like to think they do.

I have read some of the threads about why some people became atheists, it is sad. Not because they lost their faith, but because of the things that some people do in the name of their religion. It's just as sad what some people do in the name of atheism. I have probably said it a thousand times, but it is the people not the religion that are the problem.

I have nothing against you or any other atheist. I do have a problem when people steer a discussion off course. So please with that said, can you put aside the differences we have and see if there might be a real solution to my OP. Making people hide their religion is just as bad as making people hide their sexuality. I don't think people should be allowed to protest or preach in the name of religion, unless done on their own property. I don't think religion has any reason to be into politics. I don't think anyone should be attacked for their lifestyle even if they bring it into public. If it isn't hurting anyone, leave it be. if you don't agree with something, ok fine. Keep it to yourself, aside from forums.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Minor religions, or local cults are minor or local problems.

Major religions are major and global problems.

As these religions generate and perpetuate the hatred that may well end civilization, and is certainly generating vast amounts of suffering globally, then RELIGION is the problem.

The only laws on the books in this country that discriminate against any single group of people are christian based. Fortunately through common sense and discarding religious hatred many have been removed from the books, i.e. equal rights, women's rights, etc. yet that the stone age mentality has implemented a new law that discriminates in this day and time is criminally stupid.
So all religions are bad and are based off hate? You really don't know your religions, do you? You probably think they can all be rolled up into the larger religions. You don't account for individual religious beliefs. take buddhism, how is this religion evil in any way? Their main motto is to do no harm. They practice peace and patience. Yup, they are purely evil and cause problems everywhere.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:38 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
So all religions are bad and are based off hate? You really don't know your religions, do you? You probably think they can all be rolled up into the larger religions. You don't account for individual religious beliefs. take buddhism, how is this religion evil in any way? Their main motto is to do no harm. They practice peace and patience. Yup, they are purely evil and cause problems everywhere.
Please check with your local community college and see if they offer remedial reading classes.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:35 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
I was wondering, what would allow you as an individual to accept another persons and the beleifs they practice. You don't have to practice their religious, spiritual or atheistic ways. You only have to accept the fact that there are various beliefs out there and allow others to practice them in peace.

So, What would be your olive branch? What would allow you to leave other religious beliefs alone?
Going back to your OP - I think the reason that this thread didn't go the way you wanted it to is because of your premise. When reading your OP - it sounds as if you assume that everyone reading this thread is refusing to accept that people believe different things and is unwilling to leave others in peace. You are addressing us as if we are children that are behaving badly and you are trying to fix us because you have a superiority of mind. It comes off as a bit accusatory.

I think you are still getting a feel for this forum. The thing is - many people come here to debate. I don't see this as a bad thing. I think you are interpreting the debating as an all out war that must be stopped. A lot of the people here enjoy the debating - and that is why you'll see them calling each other names on one thread - and wishing each other well on another thread. This forum is not real life. You can say whatever you want on here and not have to have the same consequences as you would when dealing with people in real life. Plus - most of the people posting here are posting here because they have very strong beliefs. If they didn't have strong opinions or beliefs on religion - they wouldn't be posting on the religion forum.

Just because people are voicing their opinions and debating with others does not mean that they don't believe in freedom of religion. It doesn't mean that they don't respect anyone who doesn't have the same exact viewpoint. It doesn't mean that they want to prohibit them from practicing what they believe in. It simply means that they disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality