Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:47 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Don't you recall that in those days they used oil for their lamps Rafius? Oil has been around for a longtime.

The link below tells us (THAT OIL LAMPS) have been around since 3,500 B.C.

Herodian Clay Holy Land Oil Lamp W/ Olive Oil & Wick (06/30/2009)
You really should read ALL of the links you shower us with Campo.

"This lamp is styled after original lamps of the period and can be used as were the ancient lamps, with olive oil and a fiber wick."

See that old boy OLIVE OIL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Well, actually there was a word. They didn't call it "oil" they called it "bitumen." It came to the surface and laid in huge pools. I'm sure you've heard of the La Brea Tar Pits in California. Tar is a bitumen, just like oil. Oil in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, Texas and elsewhere was found not by drilling but by collecting it from pools on the surface.

Anyway, the Sumerians are credited with discovering oil, and they had many uses for it, having at least seven different words. In fact, the CBH word for oil/crude oil (but not olive oil) comes from the Sumerian. Sumerians had doctors of water and doctors of oil, and they used oil in certain medical treatments.
Thanks for that info. I always thought something like olive oil was used in those days. I stand corrected.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:34 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,968,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You really should read ALL of the links you shower us with Campo.

"This lamp is styled after original lamps of the period and can be used as were the ancient lamps, with olive oil and a fiber wick."

See that old boy OLIVE OIL.

As the link below will tell you Rafius. Crude oil has been around since (THE DAWN OF HISTORY). And crude could be found laying on the surface of the ground. Your belief that it could only mean Olive Oil, does not square with the facts.
http://blog.hmns.org/?tag=history-of-oil-industry

Old 04-15-2011, 07:42 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,515,791 times
Campbell34 -With all due respect and NOT in sarcasm or rude intent but you have spent 2 days arguing over 1 subject with negative effect. There are a multitude of prophecy events unfolding that have much more profound impact and easier to explain to people both Christian and others alike. By continuing a go nowhere negative argument you only turn people off to the subject. Brother we need people to take positive interest not run them off! Either get on track and move on past this oil thing or have the thread locked down. I'd like to talk about many prophecy related topics but with the heat on this oil prophecy I doubt it would be received well enough to bother. God bless and top of the day to ya!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
Campbell34 -With all due respect and NOT in sarcasm or rude intent but you have spent 2 days arguing over 1 subject with negative effect. There are a multitude of prophecy events unfolding that have much more profound impact and easier to explain to people both Christian and others alike. By continuing a go nowhere negative argument you only turn people off to the subject. Brother we need people to take positive interest not run them off! Either get on track and move on past this oil thing or have the thread locked down. I'd like to talk about many prophecy related topics but with the heat on this oil prophecy I doubt it would be received well enough to bother. God bless and top of the day to ya!

Well, I have been around here for a longtime. And I have covered some of the most obvious prophecies. Those here on this post are pretty much your hard line unbelievers. And if the Bible tells us the sky appears blue, they will fight to the end to convince us, that it does not. If you feel you have more to add to the conversation, please feel free to do so. You will find that every small point you make will be debated and denied. And that is the nature of the beast. Keep up the good work.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:21 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Quote:
Well, I have been around here for a longtime. And I have covered some of the most obvious prophecies. Those here on this post are pretty much your hard line unbelievers. And if the Bible tells us the sky appears blue, they will fight to the end to convince us, that it does not. If you feel you have more to add to the conversation, please feel free to do so. You will find that every small point you make will be debated and denied. And that is the nature of the beast. Keep up the good work.
BS, the sky is blue, fact. Doesn't matter if Bible says or not,if it is a fact, we wont argue. But nothing in the bible is fact, other than a few places.

And I have not seen a fulfilled prophesy posted on here yet.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
BS, the sky is blue, fact. Doesn't matter if Bible says or not,if it is a fact, we wont argue. But nothing in the bible is fact, other than a few places.

And I have not seen a fulfilled prophesy posted on here yet.

Clearly the Bible tells us the Jewish people will be returning from a worldwide exile and returning to the land of Israel and Jerusalem. That is a fact. And we see this happening today. Yet you would argue this is not happening. When it clearly is.

Ministers for years have told us that oil would be found in Israel, and Israel would become wealthy because of this. And now that we see this starting to happen. All we hear from your side is more denials. You will deny facts, especially if they support the Biblical account.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:04 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Quote:
Clearly the Bible tells us the Jews will be returning from a worldwide exile and return to the land of Israel and Jerusalem. That is a fact. And we see this happening today. Yet you would argue this is not happening. When it clearly is.
No we dont. All the Jews will never return, you just cant seem to grip that fact.

http://www.inminds.com/article.php?id=10062

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition...-2005-1.213647

http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle22208.htm

Last edited by Nea1; 04-15-2011 at 11:13 AM..

Old 04-15-2011, 11:36 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,112 times
Quote:
Clearly the Bible tells us the Jewish people will be returning from a worldwide exile and returning to the land of Israel and Jerusalem. That is a fact. And we see this happening today. Yet you would argue this is not happening. When it clearly is.

Ministers for years have told us that oil would be found in Israel, and Israel would become wealthy because of this. And now that we see this starting to happen. All we hear from your side is more denials. You will deny facts, especially if they support the Biblical account.

No it does not "clearly" say any such thing.That is your interpretation of symbolic passages and ancient verses.Such as the fig tree meaning Israel.Such as Asher,which I guess symbolizes Israel,dipping his foot in oil.It is all based on symbolic interpretations,and when believers give themselves the liberty of a neverending timescale for this to occur in,along with the sole right to define what certain symbols mean,then you can make the Bible say anything you want.There are folks who firmly believe the Bible speaks of UFO's,for example.

But to claim it is CLEARLY stated is simply disingenuous.Even sensible Christians admit that it is based on how you interpret the imagery.Claims from Christians otherwise are a large part of the reason I have little respect for most fundie Christians.Honesty with their beliefs is just not a big thing with them.They will say anything that they think bolsters their position,without regard for the veracity of it.Just like the NAMI guys.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
No it does not "clearly" say any such thing.That is your interpretation of symbolic passages and ancient verses.Such as the fig tree meaning Israel.Such as Asher,which I guess symbolizes Israel,dipping his foot in oil.It is all based on symbolic interpretations,and when believers give themselves the liberty of a neverending timescale for this to occur in,along with the sole right to define what certain symbols mean,then you can make the Bible say anything you want.There are folks who firmly believe the Bible speaks of UFO's,for example.

But to claim it is CLEARLY stated is simply disingenuous.Even sensible Christians admit that it is based on how you interpret the imagery.Claims from Christians otherwise are a large part of the reason I have little respect for most fundie Christians.Honesty with their beliefs is just not a big thing with them.They will say anything that they think bolsters their position,without regard for the veracity of it.Just like the NAMI guys.
Neverending timescale? Scripture tells us this will happen in the later days when the nations of the East could raise up an army of 200 million men if the need should arise. It would occur in a time when cities could be fully destroyed in one hours time. And Israel is a nation once again, with Jerusalem under Jewish control. ONLY IN OUR TIME IS THIS POSSIBLE. And such things are clearly stated for those who seek the truth. Even Scripture tells us, the natural man will not understand the things of the spirit, because they are spiritually discerned.

And these predictions were made years before anyone even thought of such a return. And by other Christians 350 years ago. Just as the oil being found in Israel was predicted by Christians 30 years or more ago. You try to suggest that the symbolic passages are just being forced fitted in our time. Yet how is it, that Christians from 350 years ago said the samething, and their predictions have proven correct?

1. Israel does exist.

2. Jerusalem is under Jewish control.

3. Jewish people are still returning from all parts of the globe.

4. Israel has found oil.

NOW CAN YOU TELL ME NONE OF THIS IS TRUE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality