Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:54 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,903,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
I posed this to another poster in another thread and got nothing but a sarcastic "what do you want,Jesus to come hold your hand?

Hopefully an adult will do better

No such luck, Lifer. No one is going to answer your questions to your satisfaction. You have to answer them for yourself.

Believing in a god is not easy. Every answer just leads to more questions.

It is very easy being an atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 05:59 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,556,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
It is very easy being an atheist.
Yes, and less intellectually challenging.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,564,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Au contraire, we have to think on our own, make our own decisions. We don't have a book that tells us what to believe, whom to hate, to fill our head with irrational concepts, erroneous substitutes for science. Nor do we have places to go and people to ask what we are supposed to think, or whom we are supposed to hate during weekly meetings.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 04-21-2011 at 06:47 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 06:31 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,007,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
You are not a believer either or you would not be asking these questions.
Regardless of whether I am a believer or not,which is not up to you to decide,is this the best you can do?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Really?How so?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:37 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,752,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Faith in what? And how would faith make God all-powerful?
Never claimed to have all the answers, just that it was the only reasonable explanation that I know of.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Ah, quite contrair, we have to think on our own, make our own decisions. We don't have a book that tells us what to believe, whom to hate, to fill our head with irrational concepts, erroneous substitutes for science. Nor do we have places to go and people to ask what we are supposed to think, or whom we are supposed to hate during weekly meetings.
I don't know what church you've ever gone to, but I wouldn't go there either! You seem to have a LOT of misconceptions about Christianity.

But..be that as it may, yes, I think athesim is less intellectually challenging because you don't have to believe anything, don't have to look for evidence to support your belief, don't have to concern yourself with anything other than what you want to do. You have nothing to read, nothing to study, nothing to learn about. It's an easy way out.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:58 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,564,335 times
Quote:
I don't know what church you've ever gone to, but I wouldn't go there either! You seem to have a LOT of misconceptions about Christianity.

But..be that as it may, yes, I think athesim is less intellectually challenging because you don't have to believe anything, don't have to look for evidence to support your belief, don't have to concern yourself with anything other than what you want to do. You have nothing to read, nothing to study, nothing to learn about. It's an easy way out.
Nothing to read
I don't have enough time to read everything I want to read.

I read fiction as entertainment, but certainly nothing to base anything on, much less my life. I read history, it is fascinating, educational. I read science and technical materials for the same reason, and that my career was in technology.

I have more than one book of fiction in my library but I don't have a copy of your book, there ain't one in the house.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 04-21-2011 at 07:14 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Ah,the key word is challenging then,rather than merely more intellectual.I guess if you define this as needing to do more reading and studying on what you are supposed to think and believe,then maybe.I would also consider having to find ways to dismiss the science you aren't supposed to believe in quite an intellectual challenge as well.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Nothing to read
I don't have enough time to read everything I want to read.

I read fiction as entertainment, but certainly nothing to base anything on, much less my life. I read history, it is fascinating, educational. I read science and technical materials for the same reason, and that my career was in technology.

I have more than one book of fiction in my library but I don't have a copy of your book, there ain't one in the house.
Well, heck, I read all that stuff too, but it has no bearing on my belief in God. I imagine it doesn't for you either.

The point is that having faith that God exists, and having committed to following Him, I've got studying to do; things to learn, concepts to grasp. As an atheist, you don't. Having decided not to believe, you're done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality