Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:31 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,620,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I don't understand what are you doing in a large group of Christians being preached to if you don't believe nor want to be preached to?

busta
Some Christians feel welcome to come into non-Christians' personal space (knocking on their front door, coming up to them at a baseball game, etc) and preach to them when they do not believe nor want to be preached to, so some non-Christians feel free to come into an open forum and "preach" their disregard.

If this opinion categorizes me as one of those non-Christians who feel so free, I can accept that. Sometimes you gotta take the initiative in putting the shoe on the other foot.

Mostly, like nimchimpsky, I accept the well-meaning intentions of most Christians who wish to pray for my "lost Pagan soul." I can use all the good thoughts and well-wishes I can get, but for good health, or a fulfilling life, not the salvation of my soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 06:31 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,919,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godistheelight View Post
http://toptenproofs.com/article_godsexistence.php
Basic run-of-the-mill Bible apologetics site filled with laughable pseudo-science designed to convince the scientifically illiterate. Please try harder.

Quote:
All I want to get at is that it wouldn't hurt to check it out or try out church.
You seem to think that atheists have reached a conclusion without examination. Many atheist were once theists themselves. They know the score.

Quote:
If anyone would like more information, let me know.
If it's anything like the link you gave in your post, I'll pass thanks.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,571,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

You seem to think that atheists have reached a conclusion without examination. Many atheist were once theists themselves.
I wrestled with my childhood brainwashing and lived in the church until after I was sixty years old. 2/3 of my family nearly panicked when I took my final stand.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
A.N. We agree. Why debate a post from a person so incendiary? Jesus cared about people. Not so, alot of those who pretend to use his words. So very sad. Jesus didnt promote hatred.
Over 20% of everything he said which is in the new testament was a warning about the fires of hell if folks didn't accept him and live a Christian life. I know...I read it about ten times.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:30 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,262,025 times
If God is judged by the actions of mankind, religious or non religious actions, what could we expect?

Do we not understand that we are the lesser gods, with power only to decipher between what good we can do and or what evil we can do?

Had we the power to, as like God, (upper case G) effect the outcome of our souls after the death of our bodies, then we could safely state that God does not exist.

But, since we don't have the power to effect a change to our souls outcome, we are settled with one of two options: to believe or not to believe.

That being...... however, only remains that if God did not make corrections, we ought to all be non-existent after once having existed.

Corrections were made in our behalf, had we........ but look into them, to see that life after this one we shall have.

Should any of you decide to take "life" as given you, you would find that your dedication, your hard work in this world would be of the highest quality and the most useful to mankind.

But it has to start with God and end with God with us in the middle.

Blessings, AJ

Old 04-28-2011, 11:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,269,035 times
I don't consider myself a "lesser god". Where did you get that?

I don't believe in your god or anyone else's. I agree with your ideas concerning high quality work, but that would be true whether gods exist or not.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I don't consider myself a "lesser god". Where did you get that?

I don't believe in your god or anyone else's. I agree with your ideas concerning high quality work, but that would be true whether gods exist or not.
Me too. The only evidence of a god or gods came from mankind. If there is a supreme being and he/she/it is interested in converting me he/she/it needs to find something besides a living man to tell me. The god in the bible is too much like a man to suit me. Methinks god was created in man's image and not the other way round.

Infant baptism, slavery, witch killing, homophobia, eternal punishment, etc. didn't come from any god I would ever worship.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 04-29-2011 at 04:44 AM..

Old 04-29-2011, 04:44 AM

20,947 posts, read 19,113,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
I am sick and tired of chistians being so presumptuous as to assume that everyone believes as they do. When they speak to a large audience for example they may say that "jesus died for our sins" and "we give thanks to you" or "we are all sinners" or "jesus is our savior". Hold up! He did not die for any of my sins and is not my savior, so stop including me in your rhetoric. He is only the "savior" of those who believe, and since two-thirds of the world do not believe that jesus is god, then it is pretty presumptuous to speak an untruth which does not apply to the majority of people.
You cannot just wish it away.

What's done is done.

You cannot be un-saved, unless you do so by your own actions.

Just as you cannot be un-created.

God Bless.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You cannot just wish it away.

What's done is done.

You cannot be un-saved, unless you do so by your own actions.

Just as you cannot be un-created.

God Bless.
WE knew you would have all the answers. I repeat...the idea of a god or gods came from the imagination of ignorant, primitive mankind. Brainwashing infants and small children kept it alive.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:43 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,584,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
If God is judged by the actions of mankind, religious or non religious actions, what could we expect?

Do we not understand that we are the lesser gods, with power only to decipher between what good we can do and or what evil we can do?

Had we the power to, as like God, (upper case G) effect the outcome of our souls after the death of our bodies, then we could safely state that God does not exist.

But, since we don't have the power to effect a change to our souls outcome, we are settled with one of two options: to believe or not to believe.

That being...... however, only remains that if God did not make corrections, we ought to all be non-existent after once having existed.

Corrections were made in our behalf, had we........ but look into them, to see that life after this one we shall have.

Should any of you decide to take "life" as given you, you would find that your dedication, your hard work in this world would be of the highest quality and the most useful to mankind.

But it has to start with God and end with God with us in the middle.

Blessings, AJ
Are you going to still take this stand when you discover that there is no god and all his alleged teachings were just made up by man? That you have to take respondsibility for your own actions and their outcome?

It is a nice fiction to have a crutch but a fiction none the less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality