Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should subforums be added to this board?
Both Judaism and Islam should have their own subforum. 16 66.67%
Judaism should have its own subforum but not Islam. 0 0%
Islam should have its own subforum but not Judaism. 1 4.17%
Subforums are EVIL!! They sneak out of your closet and under your bed and eat you while you sleep!! 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 AM

3,487 posts, read 4,570,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I disagree because these forums are supposed to be for the purpose of discussion.
Straight proselytizing can find it's outlet in the blog section.
However, the criteria does allow for that so far and as such it is in line with freedom of speech. Proselytizing is expressing your views to others thus open for discussion. As an individual he proselytizing he will face the rigors of criticism and discussion. You may be right by saying supposed becasue that to me is like saying you do not like proselyticing and that is fine. I see it as someone still expressing his views even though the intent is to recruit and I welcome discussion even with that premise. It does go in line with freedom of expression however disliked it may be and how I may disagree with the method, take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 12:54 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,258,260 times
While I dislike proselytizing, the line between it and discussion would be too hard to define. I think we are stuck with it. Occasionally it is unintentionally entertaining.

My hope is that with more subforums, at least some of the proselytizing would be in those, which I could avoid just as I do the Christianity subforum.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:08 PM

659 posts, read 1,106,101 times
I don't think either of the two groups have enough people repping them on this board to make subforums worthwhile. Besides, I find most of the proselytization threads to be highly amusing. More often than not, you can tell what they're going to be before you even click on them- if you don't like it, don't read it.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:30 PM

23,178 posts, read 26,310,948 times
If you all want to call just posting invitations to click on a link or videos or blocks of text from the Koran as interesting or amusing then enjoy.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 5,886 times
Default =\

I think there are too many religions to have sub-forums for all of them

Old 04-26-2011, 04:31 PM

241 posts, read 475,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Because there are not enough of us Jews here to have a forum.... Personally I am not interested in sharing any forum with a proselytizing religion......

There would be no interesting conversation just endless proselytizing...... It would be like the Christianity forum but with Islam instead of Christianity....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Do you have a problem with Islam my freind?!
I want to know the answer as a Muslim

Old 04-26-2011, 04:35 PM

241 posts, read 475,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Maybe we shouldn't have a religion forum at all... I'd get more work done if there wasn't one...

>>>>>>>
why not?!
it's better to have this forum
we will understand each other more

Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,258,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawary View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A better question might be: Do you have a problem with Judaism? I want to know the answer as an atheist.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:28 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,059,256 times
Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I don't like Islam.. I don't think it is a religion of peace... I don't think Muslims who come to this forum are honest...

But to be fair I don't like any religion that feels it has the only truth...
I don't like any religion that seems to have violence at its core...

So I don't particularly like Christianity either but it does not seem to have the violent tendencies that Islam has.. It outgrew its need to wipe out all who it felt did not follow what it considered the true religion.

I will always view Islam and Christianity with a bit of mistrust due to the history of violence against Jews....

Old 04-27-2011, 06:13 AM

40,048 posts, read 34,703,556 times
Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I'm with catman; I'd like to know if you have a problem with Judaism. And I want to know the answer as a Jew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality