Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:32 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,405,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
...I do try to be candid and honest. If you can provide a LOGICAL REASON as to why I should acknowledge your assertion (that it has nothing to do with morality) , I'll acknowledge it. Until such time - well, like I said, you're splitting hairs.

You want me to provide a "logical reason" for logical absolutes and moral absolutes not being the same thing? Honestly?

Logic:
  1. the science that investigates the principles governing correct or reliable inference.
  2. a particular method of reasoning or argumentation: We were unable to follow his logic.
  3. the system or principles of reasoning applicable to any branch of knowledge or study.

Moral:
  1. of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical: moral attitudes.
  2. expressing or conveying truths or counsel as to right conduct, as a speaker or a literary work; moralizing: a moral novel.
  3. founded on the fundamental principles of right conduct rather than on legalities, enactment, or custom: moral obligations.

Please explain to me how these two concepts ARE connected. I simply don't see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 04:18 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,625,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You want me to provide a "logical reason" for logical absolutes and moral absolutes not being the same thing? Honestly?

Logic
:
  1. the science that investigates the principles governing correct or reliable inference.
  2. a particular method of reasoning or argumentation: We were unable to follow his logic.
  3. the system or principles of reasoning applicable to any branch of knowledge or study.

Moral
:
  1. of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical: moral attitudes.
  2. expressing or conveying truths or counsel as to right conduct, as a speaker or a literary work; moralizing: a moral novel.
  3. founded on the fundamental principles of right conduct rather than on legalities, enactment, or custom: moral obligations.
Please explain to me how these two concepts ARE connected. I simply don't see it.
They are connected by the word "absolute." If you recall my answer to the OP in Post #3, a logical or moral absolute has to do with concepts that are transcendent. Anytime you infer an absolute (logical or moral) you infer transcendence - a concept that is above and beyond a relative concept.

If you object so vociferously to my linking of the two (moral and logical absolutes) together, why didn't you make it known back when I first posted?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:02 AM

Back on topic: Does anyone out there have anything to add to the discussion about logical absolutes providing evidence of an intelligent creator?

Old 05-12-2011, 10:00 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Back on topic: Does anyone out there have anything to add to the discussion about logical absolutes providing evidence of an intelligent creator?
Nope: Nothing more than statements similar to this:

If there are Transcendent Linguistic Laws then there is a Transcendent Linguist.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:55 AM

That's all I've gotten so far, too, Shiloh.

transcendent:

1. exceeding or surpassing in degree or excellence

2. a.(in the philosophy of Kant) beyond or before experience; a priori b.(of a concept) falling outside a given set of categories c.beyond consciousness or direct apprehension

3. theol (of God) having continuous existence outside the created world

4. free from the limitations inherent in matter

So, for the purposes of our discussion, we can throw out #3 as it assumes the existence of a "God". So the gist of the argument is that if something is either "beyond consciousness or direct apprehension" or "free from the limitations inherent in matter" that is evidence of an intelligent creator. Is that about it?

Well, logical absolutes are not beyond consciousness nor do I necessarily think they are "free from the limitations inherent in matter". At least, not any moreso than any other idea.

Here is a link to an article arguing for logical absolutes as proof of an intelligent creator:

https://school.carm.org/amember/file.../absolutes.htm

Here is a link to the opposing argument:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Essay:On_Logical_Absolutes

Last edited by hooligan; 05-12-2011 at 12:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality