Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:58 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,759,651 times

Advertisements

Ultimately the most important reason that this needed to happen. The United States of America is a tiger. The baddest, meanest predator in the jungle in fact. It's a bad idea to kick a tiger or p--s him off. And the message to fundamentalists everywhere: Do what Osama Bin Laden did and we will hunt you down and kill you no matter how long it takes.

Hardly a Christian way of looking at it, but then again Bin Laden was hardly a real Muslim either. At the end of the day, it's important for people to know that screwing with the USA just isn't a good idea. If his idiot followers are daft enough to want to retaliate then it's going to go badly for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 02:03 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,231,386 times
Let's not make it into a big nationalist jingoistic thing. I'm just glad the sorry #@% is dead.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:07 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,114,167 times
If someone were to come onto your property with intentions of doing you or your family harm, turning the other cheek is the last thing you want to do. It only works when everyone abides by it. People have the right to defend themselves.

Ideals don't always work in the real world.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:18 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,679,364 times
[quote=ahigherway;18984816]Moderator cut: Orphaned/quote]

Might I ask what the average mindset is of the local Italian population about the demise of Osama bin Laden and the way it was accomplished?

Last edited by june 7th; 05-02-2011 at 07:52 PM..

Old 05-02-2011, 06:35 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Well, another one bites the dust!
How come nobody gets to see his dead body??How conveniant that he was buried at sea....Mainstream media says he's dead....Oh yeah, I believe everything they tell me.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:50 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,019,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
How come nobody gets to see his dead body??How conveniant that he was buried at sea....Mainstream media says he's dead....Oh yeah, I believe everything they tell me.
Well I have been dealing with the conspiracy theories all day on Facebook. In fact, in anticipation of them, I told folks to start with them and boy, they sure brought 'em to the table. Here were a few:

1. Bin Laden was already dead (since 2001)
2. It was Bin Laden's double that was killed
3. It was the Pakistanis who killed him. The U.S just took the credit (this from a Chinese source)
4. There are no pictures so it cannot be true
5. Obama made this up to boost his ratings

Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,908,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
So basically you're saying that as long as we threaten people with violence, there will be peace.

I hope you can see the blatent contradiction in that.

Blessings,
brian
Yes, that is EXACTLY what I am saying. You summarized my thoughts perfectly.

You may not like it, but that is how the world works.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:08 PM

63,995 posts, read 40,292,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi insightofitall,
No, I don't play military games. I wasn't the reason why the twin towers were attacked, and I want no part of any type of revenge. If we are at peace with God and our neighbor, we need not fear danger, because it is God who protects us. We are not called to be in allegiance to a country, but to God.
This is unconscionable, Brian . . . You are implying that everyone in the Twin Towers was not at peace with God and their neighbor and God did not protect them. I expect this kind of asinine thinking from fundies . . . but you didn't strike me as one. Your zeal for the guidance of Christ is one thing . . . your lack of reality orientation is appalling. We are NOT Jesus . . . this is not heaven and God's will does not yet rule here. We do. We have dominion . . . but that means ALL of us and most of us are not very Christlike. That must be dealt with and we do not have God's power to convert them all to Christ's example . . . including ourselves. We are ONLY people (not Christ) who live in a real world with real people and real issues, brian . . . your idealistic claptrap and judgmental condemnation is not helpful. Setting goals and striving for them is one thing . . . pretending they have been achieved and condemning the measures we take because they have NOT been achieved is quite another. I would say grow up . . . but I fear your judgmental attitude is NOT from youthful idealism . . . which somehow makes it worse.
Quote:
Do you think you can comfort the survivors of the thousands of civilians that have been killed in Afghanistan? What would you tell them? That it was "necessary" for your own safety? Is their pain and suffering less "valid" just because they don't fly the American flag? How is killing 14,000 civilians justified? How is being shot in the head a "good" thing?

War breeds more war. Jesus brought mankind the way to peace, but mankind doesn't want to listen. (And many Christians are the most deaf of all!)
No one disagrees with the ideals, brian . . . that seems to be something idealists cannot get through their heads, The enigma is getting there and the impediments (very real human impediments) that idealists ignore as if they were of no consequence. If you have some hidden Godly power you have not revealed to us whereby you can transform humanity in a flash or with a bolt of lightning or whatever . . . be our guest. Otherwise live in the real world and do the best you can to stay off your high horse and struggle with the rest of us stuck down here in the mud of humanity.

In Christ's love, Mystic

Old 05-02-2011, 08:54 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,323,868 times
how come anyone that asks questions and wants proof is called a conspiracy theorist??

Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,958,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is unconscionable, Brian . . . You are implying that everyone in the Twin Towers was not at peace with God and their neighbor and God did not protect them.

I didn't get that from his post. I don't think that Brian implied that everyone in the twin towers was not at peace with God and their neighbor. I think he was talking about retaliation and vengenace. Not that those people died because there was something inherently wrong with THEM. I just took it as him talking about pacifism, non-violence, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality