Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 04:50 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,675,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Ultimately the most important reason that this needed to happen. The United States of America is a tiger. The baddest, meanest predator in the jungle in fact. It's a bad idea to kick a tiger or p--s him off. And the message to fundamentalists everywhere: Do what Osama Bin Laden did and we will hunt you down and kill you no matter how long it takes.

Hardly a Christian way of looking at it, but then again Bin Laden was hardly a real Muslim either. At the end of the day, it's important for people to know that screwing with the USA just isn't a good idea. If his idiot followers are daft enough to want to retaliate then it's going to go badly for them.
And yet oddly enough even the King of the Jungle can be brought down by the tiniest of bacteria or insects... Amazing how a strong, powerful animal like a Tiger can easily be vanquished by something far smaller.

At the end of the day we are all co-dependent and we ignore this fact at our own peril.

Jingoism is something I shall never get. It seems so utterly pointless and quite frankly childish as well as counter-productive. ALL of us have to take responsibility for our actions and their consequences. Being on the top of the heap to me is not what life is about. How is it working for us this system ? So far, not so good. Billions of dollars wasted, thousand of soldiers' lives lost, hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians killed, and more radicalised Muslims coming out of the woodwork with every military attack. Yep I can see this is really a great success. Jingoism might sound good, patriotic and brave on paper but in reality it really has little to show for itself.

We are nothing without those we exploit for example. A swarm of bees is a lot more potent than a tiger. We have failed to grasp that concept for too long and it's coming back to bite us in the bum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 05:37 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,386,833 times
[quote=ptsum;18985860]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned/quote]

Might I ask what the average mindset is of the local Italian population about the demise of Osama bin Laden and the way it was accomplished?
On a "governmental" level, when America says "jump," Italy asks "how high?"

On a more individual level, while people here are obviously against terrorism, they also see that a lot of the terrorism is caused by the US as well, and that violence is no way to resolve conflicts, no matter what country it is. They have generally been against the war in Afghanistan, and war in general; some say that it is because they still remember WWII, fought on their own territory.

During the recent immigrations coming from Libya and Tunisia, Italy is about the only country that doesn't try to keep them out of its borders. So there is a deep sense of willingness to help those in need. Much of it might come from Catholicism, even though many Italians don't frequent.

Like me, most Italians are also against the death penalty, and it is not used here.

Blessings!
brian

Old 05-03-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is unconscionable, Brian . . . You are implying that everyone in the Twin Towers was not at peace with God and their neighbor and God did not protect them. I expect this kind of asinine thinking from fundies . . . but you didn't strike me as one. Your zeal for the guidance of Christ is one thing . . . your lack of reality orientation is appalling. We are NOT Jesus . . . this is not heaven and God's will does not yet rule here. We do. We have dominion . . . but that means ALL of us and most of us are not very Christlike. That must be dealt with and we do not have God's power to convert them all to Christ's example . . . including ourselves. We are ONLY people (not Christ) who live in a real world with real people and real issues, brian . . . your idealistic claptrap and judgmental condemnation is not helpful. Setting goals and striving for them is one thing . . . pretending they have been achieved and condemning the measures we take because they have NOT been achieved is quite another. I would say grow up . . . but I fear your judgmental attitude is NOT from youthful idealism . . . which somehow makes it worse. No one disagrees with the ideals, brian . . . that seems to be something idealists cannot get through their heads, The enigma is getting there and the impediments (very real human impediments) that idealists ignore as if they were of no consequence. If you have some hidden Godly power you have not revealed to us whereby you can transform humanity in a flash or with a bolt of lightning or whatever . . . be our guest. Otherwise live in the real world and do the best you can to stay off your high horse and struggle with the rest of us stuck down here in the mud of humanity.

In Christ's love, Mystic
Isn't it funny how Christianity is just fine, as long as it doesn't require us to actually DO anything??

My comment about the twin towers is this: there must have been a reason for that attack. And whatever the reason, I was not a part of it, and therefore I don't want a part in any retaliation either.

You may see them as "ideals," and that's fine by me. What I'm saying is that Jesus told us plainly how to live. But most Christians don't want to live like Him.
It's not that I have some hidden power at all. I am like you and everyone else.
My question is, if mankind knows that Jesus' teachings are the highest form of living, then why don't they follow Him??

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-03-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Let's be clear on this: OBAMA did NOT kill Bin Laden. An AMERICAN SOLDIER, who Obama just a few weeks ago was debating on whether or not to PAY, did. Obama just happened to be the one in office when our soldiers finally found Him and took him out. This is NOT an Obama victory, but an… AMERICAN victory!!
More like an American tragedy. The killing didn't start with 9/11, and it will probably continue in the future, until we learn to follow Jesus seriously.

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-03-2011, 05:54 AM

33,614 posts, read 37,260,963 times
I have a better idea. Instead of asking " what would Jesus do?" Everyone should ask them selves "What would I do?" People need to dispense with the myths and learn to develop their own personal morals...Without religion 9/11 would never have even happened.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I have a better idea. Instead of asking " what would Jesus do?" Everyone should ask them selves "What would I do?" People need to dispense with the myths and learn to develop their own personal morals...Without religion 9/11 would never have even happened.
With all due respect, your solution is what is keeping mankind in the mire. Man's instinct is to kill. It's an animal instinct, and has nothing to do with morals.

No one gives us a higher mandate for how to live, than Jesus: "LOVE your neighbor as yourself."

There are solutions to killing people.

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-03-2011, 06:32 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,901,927 times
[quote=ahigherway;18993234]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
On a more individual level, while people here are obviously against terrorism, they also see that a lot of the terrorism is caused by the US as well, ....
I think that most of Europe can be added to that.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:33 AM

33,614 posts, read 37,260,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
With all due respect, your solution is what is keeping mankind in the mire. Man's instinct is to kill. It's an animal instinct, and has nothing to do with morals.

No one gives us a higher mandate for how to live, than Jesus: "LOVE your neighbor as yourself."

There are solutions to killing people.

Blessings,
brian
Speak for yourself...I have no instinct or desire to kill anything, except the odd annoying insect.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,688,827 times
Osama bin Laden is dead. How does this fit into the Religion forum?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Speak for yourself...I have no instinct or desire to kill anything, except the odd annoying insect.
The fact that you kill insects already proved my point.

Blessings,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality