Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:04 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,550,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned

My definition of hate is when you wish harm to someone, but I detest nobody nor feel hate or animosity for anyone here, but I do feel dislike for many things some people believe...Try not to take things so personally and you'll feel better.

Moderator cut: Orphaned reference

As for your definition of hate? Well,.. go right ahead and invent your own definitions if you want to. If it makes you feel better and justifies being boorish, it's nothing to me. However, that won't change the fact that such things come from a heart filled with self-righteousness and hatred.

Last edited by june 7th; 05-04-2011 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
I cannot speak for others, but with me, it's simply a mechanism which allows me to know that I'm still capable of having an interpay with others.
Were it not for the internet, the 66 years that have enabled me to make myself known to others in the world beyond keying my thoughts on this question, in
Morse code. If you want to check the fidelity of a paint color to match that chipped spot on your livingroom wall, you'd probably take a chip of your original,
down to your local paint store and have them match it, there are always certain places to go when you need to channel your needs. Some of us just need to
be here and being here, often means that much like seeing our reflections in a mirror, we know that we are are here because we see that image. The computer
monitor can be like a mirror too, mirroring our thoughts about any of a million subjects, but only being seen in the reflection of how others see and regard our
image. We don't need to be a whiz at understanding, discussing or contributing to a forum based in philosophy or religion, we just need to feel as if we're going
to be understood by others, and nothing more than that. Maybe, the point for me is simply to be able to read the minds of others in the world and to able to
use their thoughts or opininions as a mirror for my own mental stability. If I can read and understand the well stated and sensibly balanced thoughts of others,
qualify and concur their observations, find their thinking in order with my own firmly grounded beliefs and generally feel as if I haven't slipped my trolley, then,
all is good. Sometimes, the very meaning for our short-lived existence, is merely for us to simply to exist, and equally as important is our ability to understand it.

What if you read a post from someone who obviously HAS slipped his trolley and you find it makes perfect sense?

Old 05-04-2011, 08:53 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,675,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Then what's the motivation behind these? It certainly isn't love and respect for your fellow man.

"Yes I know that you have had encounters with god, demons and even magical balloons, among your many other hallucinations..."

"You need to get your nose out of your doom and gloom bible Campbell...How else will you ever get off your anti depressant meds."

"Wow, you are even more deluded than I thought! Amazing!"

"Campbell, how do you sleep at night spewing these tall tales?"
I agree with the other poster who said that you clearly have no understanding of the definition of "hate".

I would characterize your quoted posts as mockery, disrespect, or ridicule. We could have a discussion of whether those are appropriate argumentative techniques, but anyone with a rudimentary understanding of the concept can understand that none of them is the same as hatred.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I agree with the other poster who said that you clearly have no understanding of the definition of "hate".

I would characterize your quoted posts as mockery, disrespect, or ridicule. We could have a discussion of whether those are appropriate argumentative techniques, but anyone with a rudimentary understanding of the concept can understand that none of them is the same as hatred.
From what does "mockery, disrespect or ridicule" spring, if not from a hateful heart? They're certainly not expressions of love, are they?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:34 AM

7,999 posts, read 12,289,167 times
Just a few points here, folks:

1- This thread is somewhat veering off topic.

2- A good number of posts pertaining to negative and/or attacking rep point comments have been deleted/orphaned. Please know that anyone who receives a hateful, attacking rep point comment should report it to the mods. Attacking rep point comments are infractable, so please let mods know so they can be dealt with accordingly.

Thanks,
~June

Old 05-04-2011, 10:09 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,675,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
From what does "mockery, disrespect or ridicule" spring, if not from a hateful heart? They're certainly not expressions of love, are they?
So your theory is that everybody who doesn't love you hates you?

As I said, someone needs an in-depth refresher course on the meaning of words in the English language.

Why would someone be driven to "mockery, disrespect, or ridicule"? Possibly because the person they are mocking has demonstrated an inability to engage in an evidence-based discussion. Possibly because the ideas that are being discussed are palpably ridiculous. .Possibly because all the other approaches, like trying to reason with the other side, have been met with incomprehension, wilful mischaracterization of the argument, or pure sophistry.

What I'm really getting, though, is that this is a variant on the familiar theme that some Christians like to use. By claiming to be a hated, victimized, and oppressed group they think they'll gain some form of sympathy or moral advantage.

In fact, outside of some extremely conservative religious countries, like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Israel, and Ireland, there are few countries in the world in which religious believers have as much political and cultural power as they do in the United States.

If you want to see a minority that is really oppressed on the basis of religious beliefs, follow this link:

Why do Americans still dislike atheists? - The Washington Post

Old 05-04-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
So your theory is that everybody who doesn't love you hates you?

As I said, someone needs an in-depth refresher course on the meaning of words in the English language.

Why would someone be driven to "mockery, disrespect, or ridicule"? Possibly because the person they are mocking has demonstrated an inability to engage in an evidence-based discussion. Possibly because the ideas that are being discussed are palpably ridiculous. .Possibly because all the other approaches, like trying to reason with the other side, have been met with incomprehension, wilful mischaracterization of the argument, or pure sophistry.

What I'm really getting, though, is that this is a variant on the familiar theme that some Christians like to use. By claiming to be a hated, victimized, and oppressed group they think they'll gain some form of sympathy or moral advantage.

In fact, outside of some extremely conservative religious countries, like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Israel, and Ireland, there are few countries in the world in which religious believers have as much political and cultural power as they do in the United States.

If you want to see a minority that is really oppressed on the basis of religious beliefs, follow this link:

You've mis-read a lot here. I never said anybody who doesn't love you hates you.

Nor was I just talking about hatred directed at Christian's alone. As you may note from an earlier post, this started when I responded that hatred and hateful comments isn't the exclusive domain of believers. We see it here every day, but it does seem to be more prevelant from the non-believers when speaking to Christian's, as opposed to vice versa. But, I made no claim to being victimized. I don't know where you got that idea.

You and the other poster seem to want to justify being rude to other people by re-defining hatred into something which will allow you to say anything you like to someone and not be wrong. That's alright with me as I recognize self-delusion is one of our strongest, natural traits. We can all invent a reason to do anything we want if we try hard enough, and if y'all need a justification for demonstrating your intense dislike for Christian's and their faith, have at it.

However, I'll close this discussion with this: you really ought to examine WHY you feel compelled to act that way toward believers and to say the hurtful things you say. Nobody is "driven" to do anything...we have to allow it to happen. It never hurts any of us to search our own hearts for what motivates us.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:35 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,339,028 times
Interesting question posed by the OP and I thought about it... Consistently I am here to pass time and hopefully be entertained some in the process. I have not agenda beyond that. I am content with my faith and content for everyone else to follow theirs beliefs too.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:50 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,698,570 times
Quote:

The evidence of personal experience. Which no one could possibly share...and so you would dismiss. To me, rollercoasters are to be despised, but many people like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality