Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:44 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times

Advertisements

At least on internet forums.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...r-peoples.html

Respect begets respect.

Makes me ask the question: Why bother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 10:52 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Respect begets respect.

So do you believe that every single 'god' that people believe in actually exists?

Old 05-03-2011, 11:09 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So do you believe that every single 'god' that people believe in actually exists?
Or you respect every religious idea that anyone has ever thought of?

Old 05-03-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Was that a question to me Jack?

Old 05-03-2011, 11:41 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Run out ideas for threads now have we This thread is just a rehash of the one below.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ats-point.html

Old 05-03-2011, 12:42 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Respect the person without agreeing with the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
What has your question to do with respecting other POVs? Sounds like you're in the wrong thread.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Respect the person without agreeing with the idea.

What has your question to do with respecting other POVs? Sounds like you're in the wrong thread.
It has everything to do with you OP. Answer the question and I'll explain.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:28 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
At least on internet forums.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...r-peoples.html

Respect begets respect.

You shouldn't judge all atheists, or theists for that matter, by who posts at the R&P section of City Data. Being an atheist doesn't necessarily mean being an anti-theist and I've had fairly respectable discussions about religion with atheists on online forums. Heck in one case I had an okay discussion on the subject at City-Data, just not at this subsection. (For a theist example I've not had a good discussion with a Muslim at C-D, but I've gotten along okay with Muslims at other forums or in life. Most Muslims I don't think want to inundate you with Qur'an verses and long one-sided lectures, we just get some odd ones here on occasion)

As I've indicated many times I feel this subsection is for people who want to debate not discuss. Debates easily get hostile and sometimes disrespectful. The point is to undue the others arguments and all that. I've been in discussions with atheists and many atheists are capable as giving as much respect to theism as I would to belief in say reincarnation. (I don't believe in reincarnation)

Although I admit I do find the "delusion" statements slightly disingenuous. Has anyone here seen "Lars and the Real Girl"? (I picked that rather than "Harvey" as that film is ambiguous on whether Harvey is a delusion and I think leans toward him actually being real) That's maybe not quite how you deal with delusional people, but it's closer than the scorn and mockery that atheists who bring out the "delusional" canard act. If one really thinks theists are delusional than they/we deserve compassion and pity for our emotional neediness not open disdain. I really doubt many atheists here would treat an actual delusional person the way they treat theists because they'd know that's mean or wrong.

Also I've had a brief period of my life where I was delusional and that is definitely different than being theist. Being delusional was kind of a heightened emotional experience with, for me, elements of grandeur and paranoia. On some level I knew there was something wrong with my thought processes, it's a Hollywood myth that crazy people don't know they're crazy, but if someone had just laughed at them I really doubt it would have done any good at all. There are people who are perfectly calm, yet delusional, but I think generally even the calmly delusional are going through some kind of internal turmoil. I'm theist when I'm perfectly calm and also when I was delusional. I've leaned toward atheism mostly at points in my life where I was depressed, or as close to depression as I get seeing as I don't really ever seem to have depression, but there were times I was also perfectly calm and it seemed to me atheism might be correct. So neither one is really like being delusional.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Yes, respect can beget respect. However, I do my best to always be respectful, even when I'm not treated with respect. There have been a few times on this forum where I have let my temper get the best of me - but for the most part, I try to be respectful to everyone. I also have had some great discussions with just about everyone on this forum. No offense, but it seems to me that if you spent less time villainizing and antagonizing atheists and actually finding something worthwhile to discuss with them - you might have a different outlook on things. Your last few threads have been basically calling out atheists and venting your frustrations with them. And some of your threads were to try to get them to believe in your beliefs. These types of things are sure to backfire. I'm not trying to put you down - merely point out to you that perhaps you have been going about things the wrong way if what you were in fact looking for were meaningful discussions. Also - people are not one dimensional. I think that a lot of people forget that on here. There is a theist on here that I have argued with many times - but on the relationship forum - we get along just dandy! The terms atheist and theist really only describe one aspect of a person. Once you get past that - it's easier to find some common ground.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:20 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Yeah I almost mentioned you as an exception to atheists here, you and June but she's a moderator, but wasn't sure how you'd feel on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality