Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:01 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,813,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S. 123 View Post

LOL you can Identify as a Christian all you want, that dosnt make you a Christian. I know plenty of people who claim to be christian and these people never attend church services or read a Bible. Christianity is not just somthing to be beleived in, its a life style.

P.S.
got a link to support your claim of 80% identifying as a Christian??? Everything Ive heard is the exact opposit
No True Scotsman fallacy. Attending church and reading the Bible are not required to be Christian. By your argument, no one in this country is Christian, because every single one is hypocritical and ignores the majority of what Christianity is supposed to teach.

Religion in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The majority of Americans (76%) identify themselves as Christians, mostly within Protestant and Catholic denominations, accounting for 51% and 25% of the population respectively.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,224,893 times
Americans are not very christian, certainly not worthy of admiration. Americans have little connection with Jesus, they just like to use the name and label themselves as christian, although their behavior contradicts the teachings of Jesus. It's a phony front.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:52 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,932,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
No True Scotsman fallacy. Attending church and reading the Bible are not required to be Christian. By your argument, no one in this country is Christian, because every single one is hypocritical and ignores the majority of what Christianity is supposed to teach.

Religion in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The majority of Americans (76%) identify themselves as Christians, mostly within Protestant and Catholic denominations, accounting for 51% and 25% of the population respectively.
Nothing is required to CLAIM to be Christian. If you ignore the majority of what Christianity teaches, you very simply are NOT Christian. I can "claim" to be a scientist, but if I dont do any scientific experiments or anything else that a scientist does, am I really a scientist???

Old 05-09-2011, 12:05 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,908,963 times
Quote:
P.S.
got a link to support your claim of 80% identifying as a Christian??? Everything Ive heard is the exact opposit
So a number of posters have given what you ask for. Where are YOUR links supporting YOUR claim that it isn't true? Huh??

Old 05-09-2011, 02:26 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,813,715 times
Quote:
Nothing is required to CLAIM to be Christian. If you ignore the majority of what Christianity teaches, you very simply are NOT Christian. I can "claim" to be a scientist, but if I dont do any scientific experiments or anything else that a scientist does, am I really a scientist???
In which case, no body is Christian, so no one does what Christianity teaches. That's why it's called a fallacy.

Regardless, church and the bible are not requirements to be a Christian. Following Christ is.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:28 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,932,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So a number of posters have given what you ask for. Where are YOUR links supporting YOUR claim that it isn't true? Huh??
Well, the burden of proof falls on you because after all, you are making the claim. Again, you can claim that you are anything but if the religion you claim to be dosnt play an active role in your life, than you are not. Thus, any statistical results will be tainted and inaccurate because they include those individuals who are just "claiming" to be affiliated with this religion or that. If you could take a staistical survey on those who are actually doing their best to abide by the teachings of their religion and their heart is actually in it, I assure you, the numbers would be much lower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
In which case, no body is Christian, so no one does what Christianity teaches. That's why it's called a fallacy.

Regardless, church and the bible are not requirements to be a Christian. Following Christ is.
I learned a long time ago that you cant use reason to prove anything to somone who already has their mind made up so, you win.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:52 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,769,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Really? You don't care how many people or families addictions to drugs destroy? I guess you are lacking empathy, or are not a very decent person then. I have surmised that from your posts, so I'm not surprised.
I'm not empathetic. The only person I'm worried about is me.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:20 PM

64,091 posts, read 40,390,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm not empathetic. The only person I'm worried about is me.
And the only person you want to talk about, draw attention to, and distract every fracking thread about with your crap . . . is YOU! Get a life and stay out of the threads . . . if you are not going to make any meaningful contribution. No one gives a rats about you or your particular nihilistic attitudes . . . and your drive to raise your post count by ruining and distracting every thread just makes you a PITA. What a douche!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,908,963 times
Quote:
Well, the burden of proof falls on you because after all, you are making the claim. Again, you can claim that you are anything but if the religion you claim to be dosnt play an active role in your life, than you are not. Thus, any statistical results will be tainted and inaccurate because they include those individuals who are just "claiming" to be affiliated with this religion or that. If you could take a staistical survey on those who are actually doing their best to abide by the teachings of their religion and their heart is actually in it, I assure you, the numbers would be much lower.
So you can't back up your claim. Fair enough!

Old 05-09-2011, 11:47 PM

234 posts, read 239,130 times
There is a huge pressure from the Christian right to monopolise the government. I am a Christian, not American, but I see the danger in this.
One must remember that although the Constitution and the Bill of Rights were written and signed by and large by godly people, those documents were specifically designed to ensure freedom of conscience and religious liberty, even liberty for unbelievers.
The future of your great nation looks decidedly dim, while the rest of the world ain't that hot either. The moral declension the Christian right fears and rails against and the financial crisis looming is a threat to all people, Christian and non-Christian alike. But the answer is not in politics. The US government as a political entity is not, nor ever was , a "Christian" government. And the only true hope for America is not in the "Christianizing" of the government, but in the heartfelt deep life-changing repentant soul-searching conversion of the individual American people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality