Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:07 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,135,151 times

Advertisements

Frequently I hear that America is full of religious people, and the average American is still God-fearing, yet as a foreigner it seems American culture is very secular...I know pop culture is very Hollywood/NY centric, both of which are among the least religious parts of the nation, but how religious is America really compared to other Western nations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 08:49 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,202,920 times
I think it all depends on where you go. If you go to New York or Los Angeles - it's not very religious. If you go to the deep south or the bible belt - it is pretty religious. The United States is very large and very spread out. You'll find that different areas are vastly different from each other in many, many ways.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:18 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,641,563 times
America doesn't seem very Christian.

Perhaps the millions upon millions of us who aren't Christians have something to do with that!

Old 05-04-2011, 03:56 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,671,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Frequently I hear that America is full of religious people, and the average American is still God-fearing, yet as a foreigner it seems American culture is very secular...I know pop culture is very Hollywood/NY centric, both of which are among the least religious parts of the nation, but how religious is America really compared to other Western nations?

Pissssssssss hay Trimac, here's a little something for you to read and then you'll understand the way this country is.....
U.S. CONSTITUTION,

Bill of Rights and Later Amendments

Old 05-04-2011, 06:14 PM

659 posts, read 1,103,707 times
Quote:
Many Americans are very easily offended when anything they hold dear is criticized, portrayed in an unflattering light, or even just compared to something else that isn't completely horrible. And few things will set them off in this way more than religion. Therefore to avoid controversy, a lot of pop culture glosses over religious life except in the briefest, blandest possible terms. Obviously there are exceptions, but those are mostly meant to cater to a specific demographic. But if they want a TV character (just an example) to appeal to the broadest audience possible, they'll make him or her "spiritual but not religious", or maybe just the vaguest sort of generic mainline Christian.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:27 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,341,723 times
I think America is Christian enough and the most Christian in the West, but the problem is really pinpointing exactly what Christian is. It is means different things to different folks.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:39 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,274,999 times
Quote:
There is a social stigma involved with being "Christian" due to the extreme right wing stereotype perpetuated by groups such as the Westboro Baptist Church, a church that pickets military funerals with "God Hates ****" signs. Extremist churches like Westboro hold a very staunchly anti-gay and anti-science, and condemn anybody who questions their beliefs. While these types of extremist churches make up only a small percentage of Christians, they have in a sense become the image of Christianity due to media attention and their political activism. Because of this, most of the younger generation has become staunchly anti-Christian, and they are the ones that control the pop culture. If only "ministers" like Fred Phelps realized they are converting more young people to atheism than Richard Dawkins could ever dream of.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:37 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,795,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
There is a social stigma involved with being "Christian" due to the extreme right wing stereotype perpetuated by groups such as the Westboro Baptist Church, a church that pickets military funerals with "God Hates ****" signs. Extremist churches like Westboro hold a very staunchly anti-gay and anti-science, and condemn anybody who questions their beliefs. While these types of extremist churches make up only a small percentage of Christians, they have in a sense become the image of Christianity due to media attention and their political activism. Because of this, most of the younger generation has become staunchly anti-Christian, and they are the ones that control the pop culture. If only "ministers" like Fred Phelps realized they are converting more young people to atheism than Richard Dawkins could ever dream of.
They sure make some good headlines though

Old 05-05-2011, 10:36 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,441,067 times
Well even in a lot of places where people are thought to be really religious most people are pretty secular in reality.Where I live in west virginia it seems every eighth building is a church....and every third building is a bar...you do the math.

Half the cars in the bar parking lot on saturday night can be seen the next day in the church parking lot....the rest slept in.Walmart is just as packed on sunday as saturday,sabbath or not.People flock across the border from 'much less religious maryland',where gambling and strip bars are discouraged and tobacco is highly taxed....to 'God-fearing west virginia' where strip bars and slot machines abound,and cigarettes are taxed at a fraction of what they are in maryland.

If you bother to ask most here will identify as baptist and agree that the bible is the literal word of God.....while sitting in a bar,finishing their 6th beer,taking a drag from the last cigarette in the pack they bought this morning,and talking to their girlfriend about what to name their soon to be born third child.Once they're sure 'things will work out between them' they may even get married...

I may be exaggerating a little...but its a very little.There are some people whose 'walk' matches their 'talk' but most people in the country do live pretty secular lives.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:41 PM

17 posts, read 23,523 times
Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Matt 7:14
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality