Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:53 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,472,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I thought "true Christians" believed that Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit were all the same person? With that said, how could Jesus not know something that God knows?
The view on the trinity is not unanimous within Christianity. Some sects believe in the trinity as three in one and some believe in Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit as being three separate entities.

So yes, Christianity is not consistent with itself, but many people's beliefs about Jesus not even knowing the date of the rapture is consistent with their belief that Jesus is the son of God and not God Himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 AM

290 posts, read 388,873 times
Many people don't believe the Bible to be literal.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:22 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,746,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I thought "true Christians" believed that Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit were all the same person? With that said, how could Jesus not know something that God knows?
Well, you're description of the Trinity isn't quite accurate for starters. The Trinity theorizes that there are three distinct persons who are all one substance and one God. One old and trusted visual aid that is often used to help it make a little sense for people:

One of the single biggest problems with Christianity trying so hard to maintain only one viewpoint on the nature of God is that the one they've got -- the Trinity -- is frickin CONFUSING.

I for one don't believe that the Trinity CAN be considered absolute. Statements of oneness are Biblical. Explanations as to what those statements of oneness mean are nowhere to be found in the Bible, so the Trinity is just one possible explanation. The core concept you need to understand the Trinity doctrine is "three persons, one substance" -- and this teaching is not found anywhere in the Bible.

But to your point, if Jesus was God then yes he knows when he is coming back. That doesn't mean he or his Father are going to tell anyone else though. They specifically stated that nobody knows, not even the angels in heaven.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:40 AM

430 posts, read 583,942 times
Wink Palpable Fear and Trembling

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
May 21, 2011 may not be true but the rapture IS true and WILL happen. We just don't know when. Be sure you have the Lord Jesus on your side when it does though. Accept him into your heart so you can be saved. There's not much time left!
You slay me, allenk. Your personal convictions are just that, but there is absolutely no indication of any arriving or impending End Times, though the drumbeat of panic and terror amoungst Christians continues about May 21st, or tsunami, earthquake, food shortage, tornado flurry and so on.

(BTW, I know you won't hang your hat on May 21 now, since it's too close, and you also know nothing is going to happen. I only wish my Christian friends would turn over all their dollars, which I'd put into a new Ecology and Evolution Research Center, but in fact, they're also hedging their bets. How unconvincing!)

These made-for-media homo-centric catastrophic events have reliably occurred with more or less intensity for the entire time of this earth. it's exactly what has formed all you see today; that didn't all happen on it's own, and no God did it either. The Yellowstone volcanic eruption, for instance: if that happened again now (it has happened at least 4 times previously, with excellent evidence from satellite photos of a line of previous calderas), would pretty much terminate much of known organized and civilized Western human life as we've become used to on this planet for literally decades.

That does not mean the end of anything, except our happy (and relatively) care-free existence for the past 150 years. We 21st century types have literally no idea about living the tough life, out in the woods, in a cave, but many of our ancestors did and they survived far worse conditions than you can obviously begin to imagine. Such adversity actually breeds survival, not End-Times. You underestimate humanity's viability.

Quote:
It's not going to be as funny or comical once Jesus takes the church and the holy spirit out of the Earth to Heaven. I suggest you read the Left Behind series because it describes how the Earth will be once that happens.

Please don't make this your fate. Humble your heart and accept the Lord as your savior. He will take care of you.

He will not let you suffer here. You have a place prepared in Heaven and there's so many great things that await us all there. But you have to surrender yourself and your heart to the Lord to get there to experience it. He did not die on the cross for nothing. There is still time. Hurry before it's too late.
Have to surrender huh? Hurry, huh? Even if it doesn't jive with my well-thought-out personal mindset? Just do it "in case", or should I give in to uncontrolled terror and trembling fear of... of.... well you can only imagine, right?

The Left Behind series is a stupidly developed, egotistical and truly fictitious bit of, well... fiction, as you well know. It was hugely successful for it's authors because it describes a world in a condition it's trembling and believing readers want it to be. There is a palpable, measurable desire for the ET to occur, because it would finally justify certain immature Christian minds to bathe in their vain and fantastic beliefs, but for which there is no actual support. Why, you say?

Even the bible says you will not know when, and yet hordes of Christians, especially as they grow older and more desperate, claim to have exact knowledge beyond what's vaguely stated in their bible. The bible does not even claim that thee will be any warning signs of the trib. such as tsunamis and tornados. This is all made up. Or, alternately stated....

Your desperation is showing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
As a Native American ( Tsalagi )and a believer in the ancient ways of my people, which does not include Christianity, just exactly what am I supposed to be saved from ? If I don't believe in your Christianity then I don't believe your hell or your satan, you have to be either a Christian or a Muslim to believe in that.
Exactly. Christianity is a lonely and region-specific religion that evolved (stumbled and fell, was re-written and plaguarized many many times..), if you will, in a backwards, destitute and always-desperate part of the world (noteably, it's still spiritually backwards and under a constant state of confusion and strife). A place ripe for building false hopes.

This all while far more advanced civilizations took scientific evaluation and common sense seriously, with predictable results. The development of documented Japanese, Indian and Chinese religion, philosophy and documented discoveries (concurrent with the development of the American horse-plains culture which comfortably took into account the real world,which Christians try to interpret and then modify) occurred both during and far earlier than Christianity, and it shows.

All that Christians point to as "proof", their so-called prophecies, are all based on vague and ambiguous fairy-tales, but all of them can also be rather easily discredited as either not having actually happened, or have not happened at all yet. Their intense personal need to see such prophecies, to imagine their occurrence, certainly colors Christians' ability to observe in an objective way. Like any good prophecy though, the biblical ones are all vague and ambiguous to a fault, and could be easily "demonstrated" by a child in a kindergarten.

Christian literalists grasp at anything that even hints at a completed prophecy, but simultaneously they obviously do not clearly understand the requirements of logical, observable proof. In other words, these events can just as easily be interpreted in a myriad of other ways, but never are. How sad and humorous.

Quote:
Are you forgetting biblical prophecy and accounts from several events in the Bible that are backed by historical data and facts? You must be because that's precisely what makes the Bible true. (NOTE: REALLY?) If you don't believe the events in the Bible even AFTER it's been backed by other cultures and nations foretelling the same ones across the world, and even prophecies that were given in the Bible more than 2,000 years ago have came true today that is you burying your head in the sand.
Like Noah's flood? The disappearance of literally every living thing on this planet, but strangely missed by all the other cultures on this planet? Or Genesis, which occurred long after other cultures had developed and had adopted written records? Or the troubling little problem of dinosaurs, which had of course disappeared long before the bible was invented, so weren't included, but then were later found and reliably dated to hundreds of millions of years of age? Or the universe, which is still unfinished, though your God was supposed to have finished it during Genesis?

You mean like that?

Ptsum has asked for a list of even a few of your absolutely proven prophecies. Please do that. You seem to have been silenced by that request. Even his native people's prophecies are far more reliable, since they predict the return of the seasons and the coyote and his brother, and so on. You, on the other hand, have nothing, absolutely nothing. And yet, this is lost on you, and you continue to believe. Must be a severe case of spirituality addiction coupled with a personality disorder.

(I do note, however, that a careful interpretation of the bible notes that your Tribulations should have happened a long time ago. This is carefully ignored by Christian hopefuls, since it eliminates the E-T option.... And so... Tick tock tick tock. As that clock continues to accumulate uneventful time, the likelihood of a real and God-induced E-T grows less and less likely, at an exponentially decreasing rate. Pretty soon it'll disappear into the great dusty "beyond", like a dandilion seed in a Class V tornado....)

Quote:
Every kind or thoughtful act never goes unnoticed by the Lord. I was just reading a book on Heaven last week. It turns out, there's actually a place in Heaven where your garden is at so-to-speak.

If I had to describe it, it would be like the garden centers at walmart. Except 1,000X more exquisite. (NOTE: Wal-Mart is even partially exquisite? Oh No! There is a Hell after all!) Every kind act you have ever done on Earth is remembered and builds this garden more with flowers and plants and everything with each act! Little kids in Heaven come into the garden and can play various games or just simply watch the beautiful scenery! Various people in Heaven come to view your garden and the "acts" you have done that are associated with a particular plant or flower.

(Note: But.. there's a conditional clause here...) If you accept Jesus into your heart, you will be able to see and view your garden one day. But the crazy thing is the garden stays whether you make it to Heaven or not! So think about that next time you do a kind act for someone! Think about how you are honoring Jesus and what he has prepared for you in Heaven! There's so much!!
This is very diagnostic. Heaven just as you want it to be. A warning that, if you don't accept a mystical God being into your life, the promise of a childlike fantasy place as an alternate to suffering in an imaginary hell is out the window. How predictable, but obviously aimed at those who prefer to not think things through, or are tired of being terrified by those scary Sunday morning sermons.

Personally, I'd rather be under the earth, spelunking in an evil (but nearer-to-hell...) cave (read the book about me: it's titled Shibumi...), or exploring in my SCUBA gear, or alone in a desert, or up in the Arctic with a good friend of mine, watching the real world and it's perfectly evolved inhabitants, mostly absent man and his infernal revisionism and tinkering. PS: I don't like artificial gardens so much. Your heaven sounds pretty much artificial!

So, do I get to go to MY specific heaven? Where's the "You Design Your Heaven!" form? Down at my church, to be placed in the envelope along with some dineros?

Yessiree! The impending End-Times and subsequent Deliverance into Heaven.... but only if you convince yourself of an unbelievable and reliably uncommunicative God. What a load of childhood fantasy-building coupled with a total lack of mature adult ability to simply deal with the world as it really is, complete with all it's endless troubles, and oh yeah I (and you, obviously...) forgot, the joys as well, all rolled into one.

Man has not only survived for millions of years despite all the past geological, astronomical and weather-induced tribulations, he has in fact adapted and thrived (unfortunately in many cases...) because of his resourcefulness and imagination, and now has enough time on his hands to then invent religions and implausible futures.

Last edited by Shibumi; 05-15-2011 at 08:05 AM..

Old 05-15-2011, 08:23 AM

5,537 posts, read 7,120,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Other fun dates:

1988 - Publication of 88 Reasons why the Rapture is in 1988, by Edgar C. Whisenant.

1989 - Publication of The final shout: Rapture report 1989, by Edgar Whisenant. More predictions by this author appeared for 1992, 1995, and other years.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:11 AM

869 posts, read 973,070 times
Biblical Lifespans

Excerpt:
Scientists' success in altering the life span of selected organisms (such as worms, yeast, and fruit flies) and their emerging ability to increase human life expectancy through biochemical manipulation lend scientific plausibility to the long life spans recorded in Genesis 5. If humans with their limited knowledge and power can alter life spans, how much more so can God? .

Fazale R. Rana, Ph.D.
Hugh Ross, Ph.D.
Richard Deem, M. S.

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/longlife.html

The rest of the article is very well documented. Not laughable at all!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:29 AM

33,567 posts, read 37,175,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Biblical Lifespans

Excerpt:
Scientists' success in altering the life span of selected organisms (such as worms, yeast, and fruit flies) and their emerging ability to increase human life expectancy through biochemical manipulation lend scientific plausibility to the long life spans recorded in Genesis 5. If humans with their limited knowledge and power can alter life spans, how much more so can God? .

Fazale R. Rana, Ph.D.
Hugh Ross, Ph.D.
Richard Deem, M. S.

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/longlife.html

The rest of the article is very well documented. Not laughable at all!
Then why am I laughing? No man has ever lived any 900 years. It is nothing but a myth..... As a matter of fact the human life span 6000 years ago was probably somewhere in the thirties.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:39 AM

869 posts, read 973,070 times
Quote:
Then why am I laughing?
Perhaps a psychiatrist is more qualified than I am to answer that question.

BTW
Chanting and chortling mantra-like doesn't constitute a refutation of anything. It only constitutes chortling and chanting mantra-like. Easy to do but very unconvincing. Sorry!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:22 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,667,197 times
Quote:
Perhaps a psychiatrist is more qualified than I am to answer that question.

BTW
Chanting and chortling mantra-like doesn't constitute a refutation of anything. It only constitutes chortling and chanting mantra-like. Easy to do but very unconvincing. Sorry!
How about that you give us one example of someone outside of your sacred book that has lived for more than 900 years. When you can do that then maybe, and I say just maybe, we might consider listening to what you have to say.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:55 AM

5,537 posts, read 7,120,709 times
Quote:
Chanting and chortling mantra-like doesn't constitute a refutation of anything. It only constitutes chortling and chanting mantra-like.
Then, I guess you and I might agree that prayer is totally ineffective.

Last edited by Tantalust; 05-16-2011 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality