Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:51 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlindwarf View Post
As I'm sure many of you have heard, a study was done sometime over the last few years showing that atheists are the least trusted minority in the country.

We're also the least desirable marriage material for the average American's child.

I would like to know, why? I have my suspicions, and I believe some of them are correct. However, I'd like to hear it straight from others, what don't you like about us? What makes you uncomfortable? I'd really like some honest opinions.

I'm not starting this because I want to be degraded, or because I want to fight, but as an educational venture.

I, for example, believe that if more people came to know me, and my altruistic ways, they would reform their opinions on atheists. Some of my friends already have.

So tell me, and maybe I and other fellow disbelievers can educate you on who we really are.
I don't venture over to the R&P very much but this post made me stop and think. I think that I love all people, atheist or not. And so does God. If anyone wants me to expound on that I can certainly do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 12:08 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I think when that poll was done religion was a hot topic on the national level with everyone trying to play the god card to win elections, etc. The public is stupid, generally speaking, and will be swayed by whatever is being talked about at the time. Any group will be the least trusted given the right "spin". Personally, I don't trust people who identify themselves and Christians or church goers without prompting. They are usually trying to make themselves look good.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I don't venture over to the R&P very much ...............
You should call in more often dear lady. We're much more amenable than they are on your forum...and the coffee is better.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:27 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Well, as far as I'm concerned you fail at a lot of things, but are brilliant at twisting other peoples posts to suit your prejudices.
Nope...not "twisting"...more like "illuminating".

And I have no prejudices...except toward prejudice.

Though you are right that I have failed at things...but then, who doesn't?

Old 06-07-2011, 12:34 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You should call in more often dear lady. We're much more amenable than they are on your forum...and the coffee is better.
I know all that, yet I am a creature of habit and having two threads going over there keeps me pretty busy. I love you guys and I miss June so much, thanks for the last tet-a-tet or whatever you call that stuff between you and June, it was lovely to see.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:57 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Wow, that's awful. I was atheist for 20 years and would never have told people to do any of those things or judged them based on whether they do those things. Especially the "don't reproduce" one. How insulting. I'm so sorry about any atheist or agnostic that told you that. Please know that not all atheists are like that!
I know it's not common for atheists to be that way. I'm just saying the few people I knew who were that way were atheist or at least non-theist.

One of the cases that hit me hardest was online, but the strange thing is he backed-off and apologized. I think why it bothered me with him is he was a pretty nice guy. He even tried to teach inner-city school kids. (That didn't really work out, their problems were more than he could handle, but I think he was trying to be a good guy in his life) So I was a bit blindsided in a way. I think it was one of those things that sounded good/just in his head, reducing the rate of suffering in the world and all, but on saying it he realized he wasn't thinking of all the consequences. Or how it might sound to someone with such a condition.

The other atheist/non-theist who suggested it had many good qualities, but frankly he was kind of a snob about some things. It wouldn't surprise me if he thought reproduction should be limited to people with Master's Degrees from good Universities, in fact I think that might have actually been part of his idea. So I don't know that it shocked me too much he was concerned about medical conditions being inherited. Part of why people might not expect this will upset me is that I'm actually not interested in reproducing. It's not that I think another person in the world with my condition is a bad thing. To be honest having a kid without my condition would also make me nervous. I just don't feel I have the emotional equipment or stamina to be a decent father. Also I like my life simple, even if I like some of my beliefs to be complicated, and I think having kids would complicate my life more than I could handle. I just don't like the idea of people telling me I shouldn't reproduce. I'm not doing it because I don't want to, or I don't think it'd work for me, not because I owe it to the species or something.

If it helps there have been Christians who told me some pretty weird things too. A relative pointed at a guy in a wheelchair and told me "If I had to be disabled like that I'd kill myself." That's not really a Christian belief, but sometimes Christians say things that don't really flow from their religion. (In particular you can find Christians who talk about "white trash" and "welfare scum" or the like.) In fairness my disability is somewhat unique, no part of me is paralyzed or spastic, and I sometimes don't even see it as a disability as I was born this way. So some of my relatives pick up on that "vibe" and don't think of me as disabled. Another Christian referred to me as a "that" which could be "healed" by Benny Hinn I think.

Generally though I find people, theist or not, to be fairly good with my disability or condition. I remember the weird ones because they stand out so much.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:11 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Just for the record, I think we need to keep it on topic here, folks.

If need be, please re-read the OP.

Thanks,
~June

Old 06-07-2011, 08:21 AM

869 posts, read 972,191 times
Quote:
Um...you mention atheist "propaganda" then go on to talk about evolution. Hate to break it to you but evolution is not a defining "belief" of atheism. Anyway, whether or not I have a belief in organisms changing and adapting over time, has nothing to do with my lack of belief in any gods.....
Why do you assume that I am unaware of theistic evolution or that I am defining evolution as atheistic by default?

BTW
Belief in a biblically-described creator doesn't require one to reject all biological adaptations. It simply places a limit as to how far those adaptations can go.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:42 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Why do you assume that I am unaware of theistic evolution or that I am defining evolution as atheistic by default?

BTW
Belief in a biblically-described creator doesn't require one to reject all biological adaptations. It simply places a limit as to how far those adaptations can go.
"adaptations" is the golden word.

As much possible I prefer to be peaceable with all but I tend shy away from extremist/division artist of any sort.
In my book, they are not worth what the owl left on the limb.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:10 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
.....or whatever you call that stuff between you and June, it was lovely to see.
See? Some atheists aren't so bad after all and can be quite lovable individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality