Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:46 AM

33,581 posts, read 37,215,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Well, just tonight, I've been given a new appreciation for why some wouldn't like Atheists. I guess it can come down to a matter of "Tit for Tat".

I just laugh stuff like this off...but then, I'm not religious...though I sure can see where it could give some people a negative view of the Atheist platform...and by extension, those who embrace it.
Check it out: https://www.city-data.com/forum/20295082-post17.html
That seems like a much better reason not to like or trust believers, but hey gldn, you know you luvs us....Without us where would you get your entertainment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 02:17 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,671,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
That seems like a much better reason not to like or trust believers, but hey gldn, you know you luvs us....Without us where would you get your entertainment?
I DO luv ya!...but then, I love everybody...that is, unless they are truly evil.

And the "entertainment" factor you give me...that is, in my case, REALLY "Tit for Tat".
See, you guys supply the "Tat"...and I supply the, well, I'm sure you understand. HaHa!

Old 08-03-2011, 02:30 AM

I do, and appreciate a well formed tit for tat...Especially the former...

Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,819,390 times
Yes, it does that. It's worthwhile looking at the reasons some people dislike us. I do try to argue for a more good - natured and reasonable approach than as a placard - waving mob of slogan - chanters.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,574,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Well, just tonight, I've been given a new appreciation for why some wouldn't like Atheists. I guess it can come down to a matter of "Tit for Tat".

I just laugh stuff like this off...but then, I'm not religious...though I sure can see where it could give some people a negative view of the Atheist platform...and by extension, those who embrace it.
Check it out: https://www.city-data.com/forum/20295082-post17.html
Doing what I can, and yet the truth is life has taught me well that the more religious a person presents themselves is in direct relation to how little they should be trusted. In business and in my personal life it has proven to be a valuable guide and served me well.

Truth is bitter ain't it

Old 08-03-2011, 09:06 PM

591 posts, read 867,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Doing what I can, and yet the truth is life has taught me well that the more religious a person presents themselves is in direct relation to how little they should be trusted. In business and in my personal life it has proven to be a valuable guide and served me well.

Truth is bitter ain't it

So you think Mother Teresa was a POS then? And all the people who teach Sunday school should be what? equated with con-men??

Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,574,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
So you think Mother Teresa was a POS then? And all the people who teach Sunday school should be what? equated with con-men??
Well first, that is NOT what I said, again the trait of christians to read what they want instead of what was said. So follow along, if you can.........
I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Mother Teresa did not wear her religion on her sleeve like a cloak to disguise the true person. She did not profess herself as better or more honest because of her religion, but she proved herself in her actions and work.

I am talking about the business man (who wore what was probably a 4 - 5 inch cross on a gold chain outside a business suit) that wants to pray over a business deal instead of signing a binding contract. I refused and told him that he would sign the contract or there was no deal. In the end, legal proceedings were necessary to collect.

Worked with a pentecostal preacher that lied like a rug, and bragged about cheating on his taxes, and drilling holes in motel walls to spy on people in the next room.

The most dishonest and despicable people I have met in life wore their religion like a cloak of virtue.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Where is my faith? Even deep down ... there is nothing but emptiness and darkness ... If there be God—please forgive me. When I try to raise my thoughts to Heaven, there is such convicting emptiness that those very thoughts return like sharp knives and hurt my very soul ... How painful is this unknown pain—I have no Faith. Repulsed, empty, no faith, no love, no zeal, ... What do I labor for? If there be no God, there can be no soul. If there be no soul then, Jesus, You also are not true....Mother Teresa

Old 08-04-2011, 05:28 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,819,390 times
Quote:
Well, when you put it like that...there is a certain degree of evidence coming out which gives that theory a lot of credibility.

Ps. Thanks San. Mother Theresa now looks like very much like ..I though a lot about an appropriate phrase, but I decided on, a very successful PR con-trick.

And I was staggered as the intellectual dishonesty of my Religion - teacher and truly believe that all religious teachers are peddling lies. Detectable lies which they deny either through wilful ignorance or cynical self - deception. Again, Con - men is as correctly applicable a succinct term as can be found.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:14 PM

1,196 posts, read 756,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlindwarf View Post
I, for example, believe that if more people came to know me, and my altruistic ways, they would reform their opinions on atheists. Some of my friends already have. So tell me, and maybe I and other fellow disbelievers can educate you on who we really are.
i never hated atheist,because i don't judge anyone by their beliefs. also because i'm the type of person who can see from the other side. i understand when many gives reasons for not believing in God. i've also in many forums,defended you guys against so-called christians. who attack them,acting as though they're sitting at the right hand of God. i inform them of how their actions may push many from wanting to learn about a God. thinking, if this is what god's people act like, i don't want to be one. as i say to many believers, before you try checking them,put yourself in check. NO ONE should mistreat anyone,especially because of the many differences,and beliefs. those who does this,ISN'T true followers of Jesus. peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality