Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 04:50 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,778,812 times

Advertisements

Nice post. While I judge peoples' beliefs from a logically or evidentially valid viewpoint, I don't judge them, not even if they simply refuse to accept clear evidence or logically rational constructs because that is what deep -seated conviction does to people. I have said that theism makes honest people dishonest (and I have said worse) but I don't mean that they suddenly become bad people any more than scientists who have or who acquire a religious belief necessarily become bad scientists.

All I say is that deeply held convictions can lead people into rejecting unwelcome evidence and even proof on the most logically tortured or flimsy grounds rather than give up their convictions and that (I have a firm and unshakable conviction )is not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:13 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,844,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Oh wow!! I didn't think I was "THAT" arrogant!...And besides.... I suspect that a little bit of arrogance is good for the soul!

It's been my experience that, whether atheist or Christian, if one is confident in what one believes, there's no need for arrogance or aggressiveness toward one another. Jesus was the perfect example of this attitude -- he didn't have to demean people to get His point across. He should be the only example to Christians as to how to treat people. I guess atheists have... Darwin?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:15 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,844,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Nice post. While I judge peoples' beliefs from a logically or evidentially valid viewpoint, I don't judge them, not even if they simply refuse to accept clear evidence or logically rational constructs because that is what deep -seated conviction does to people. I have said that theism makes honest people dishonest (and I have said worse) but I don't mean that they suddenly become bad people any more than scientists who have or who acquire a religious belief necessarily become bad scientists.

All I say is that deeply held convictions can lead people into rejecting unwelcome evidence and even proof on the most logically tortured or flimsy grounds rather than give up their convictions and that (I have a firm and unshakable conviction )is not good.
Don't you have a deeply held conviction that there is no God?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,911,722 times
Quote:
So, why don't you like atheists?

Attached Thumbnails
So, why don't you like atheists?-ackbar.jpg  

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 08-07-2011 at 09:17 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 12:56 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,875,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
It's been my experience that, whether atheist or Christian, if one is confident in what one believes, there's no need for arrogance or aggressiveness toward one another. Jesus was the perfect example of this attitude -- he didn't have to demean people to get His point across.
"Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers"... Sounds rather demeaning to me.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Don't you have a deeply held conviction that there is no God?
That depends on whether on is talking about Sortagod or Biblegod.

I am firmly convinced after decades of debate and study that the God of the Bible has no reality. About other personal gods and Karma too for that matter I hold the same conviction. I don't know about 'deeply held'. They are firmly based but not to extent of closed - mindedness. I am of course open to persuasion.

About a Sorta god that one might call an Intelligent Cosmos, I am not so convinced. Like Richard Dawkins, I would say that a case can be made, but it isn't one that persuades me. I do not have deeply held convictions about Deist/Pantheist/Sortagod or even (thanks to Mystic's efforts) that there cannot be some conscious link of Humans with it.

I am convinced that such a god does not require me to pray to it.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
"Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers"... Sounds rather demeaning to me.
I agree. That the Bible Jesus is gentle loving person rather than a spiteful and demeaning ratbag and a dishonest one, too, is one of the salient symptoms of selective blindness on the part of Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality