Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:20 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,317,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlindwarf View Post
As I'm sure many of you have heard, a study was done sometime over the last few years showing that atheists are the least trusted minority in the country.

We're also the least desirable marriage material for the average American's child.

I would like to know, why? I have my suspicions, and I believe some of them are correct. However, I'd like to hear it straight from others, what don't you like about us? What makes you uncomfortable? I'd really like some honest opinions.

I'm not starting this because I want to be degraded, or because I want to fight, but as an educational venture.

I, for example, believe that if more people came to know me, and my altruistic ways, they would reform their opinions on atheists. Some of my friends already have.

So tell me, and maybe I and other fellow disbelievers can educate you on who we really are.
Well, I personally don't have any problems with Atheists but I had certain ideas due to me having a couple of disagreements with some. I didn't throw the bible at them and didn't even preach God to them, but due to some that I spoke with knew that I was Christian, came at me in such a nasty and mean way, that I drew a conclusion only from those who clearly didn't know any better. That is the lesson that I learned that I should never label all Atheist due to a couple of morons who label all Christians in the same boat.

Maybe they came at me that way due to them being mistreated by other Christains. I may never know, but all Christian are not the same.

So, my opinion is only based off of my experience. I think that some people have a negative opinion of Atheist due to them having negative encounters with some. That was my experience.

But like I said, I don't hate, or dislike Atheist in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 06:42 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,331,101 times
Atheists seem to have a thinking of superiority like they think they're better or smarter than Christian people or believers in God. They do seem to be very smart though, but arrogant.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:53 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,900,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Atheists seem to have a thinking of superiority like they think they're better or smarter than Christian people or believers in God. They do seem to be very smart though, but arrogant.
Oh wow!! I didn't think I was "THAT" arrogant!...And besides.... I suspect that a little bit of arrogance is good for the soul!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:07 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,109,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I suspect that a little bit of arrogance is good for the soul!
Self-confidence is good for the soul. Arrogance sucks.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,244,043 times
What comes across as 'self-confidence' to one person is 'arrogance' to another. Methinks it has much to do with whether the observer agrees with the views presented or not.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:26 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,236,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
That attitude goes both ways, ya know!

Old 05-14-2011, 04:04 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,705,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
I find in your face, "militant" internet atheists to be incredibly annoying
Newsflash, there isn't such a thing as a 'militant atheist'. When you can show me atheists out there actively causing physical harm or death to people that are not atheists simply because they're not atheists, then and only then do you have the right to point a finger and say "There goes a militant atheist."

Until then, have the brains and the courage to recognize that atheists are not violent in defense of their non-belief, unlike muslims, christians, and jews (among others). Someone simply telling you that your archaic religion and backwards belief in the supernatural are ignorant and harmful is NOT being "militant". Someone shooting up an abortion clinic, or stoning a rape victim IS a militant.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:46 AM

570 posts, read 735,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlindwarf View Post
As I'm sure many of you have heard, a study was done sometime over the last few years showing that atheists are the least trusted minority in the country.

We're also the least desirable marriage material for the average American's child.

I would like to know, why? I have my suspicions, and I believe some of them are correct. However, I'd like to hear it straight from others, what don't you like about us? What makes you uncomfortable? I'd really like some honest opinions.

I'm not starting this because I want to be degraded, or because I want to fight, but as an educational venture.

I, for example, believe that if more people came to know me, and my altruistic ways, they would reform their opinions on atheists. Some of my friends already have.

So tell me, and maybe I and other fellow disbelievers can educate you on who we really are.
For me .. I don't like anyone who tell me that I don't have a soul

Old 05-15-2011, 06:58 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,493,031 times
I think a lot of people who are afraid of atheists or don't like them have a lot of misconceptions about them. A lot of people think you need God to feel emotion which is obviously not the case. There are definitely atheists who are materialist to the point it's obnoxious, but of course that's not all atheists. I do think that's the kind of atheists many people who don't like atheists have in mind though. I have to admit I didn't like a portion of the atheist community when I was atheist myself because some atheists are incredibly arrogant about their beliefs, but of course that's true of anyone, and I didn't like the arrogant members of other belief systems either (and still don't). It's just another case of erroneous generalization, just like when people hate all of Christianity because of Westboro Baptist Church or all of Islam because of Osama Bin Laden.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:10 AM

869 posts, read 974,866 times
Atheists are usually considered almost non-entities from a Christian viewpoint in the larger scheme of things untill they begin their anti-religious verbal jihads. Then of course their irrational, hate-motivated, fanatical anti-religious activities tend to be noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality