Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 02:27 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times

Advertisements

Religious belief is human nature, huge new study claims

Well, my thoughts are this. I'm not going to throw it in anyone's faces. That's not who I am. I don't believe that just because this study came out, it's +1 for religion. Not at all. But it confirms what I have always speculated about human beings in general. I always felt the belief in God was in-bred inside of us. I don't know how or why but I have always felt this way. Sometimes I try to imagine myself as an Atheist. And I cannot. I find that I can't shake the idea of God no matter how hard I try or where I travel. God is in our everyday lives. Just looking at the vast universe or the stars or planets or mountains or beaches or islands or landscapes on Earth, loudly speaks it was beautifully created. I feel like believing in God is instinctual and always has been. No matter what culture or nation you come from, there is some God that people worship. Our soul regconizes a God no matter if we want to accept it mentally or physically in worship. He put that inside of us to get us to know that he is there and he DID create everything and we are his creations. That's just my feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 02:37 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Sad commentary on the human condition, but this just makes me glad that I don't follow the herd. Hopefully we will continue to evolve away from archaic beliefs.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:40 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Here's a comment from the article that I found interesting. I hadn't even thought about things this way before.

"I tend to agree. The soupy plasma, big bang, complex organisms created out of total chaos is so unlikely (calculate those odds) as to be beyond possible. Scientists would have us believe that a random soup of particles (not even electrons, protons, neutrons at that point of time!), reached some critical mass, went through a sudden and massive expanse, formed electrons, protons, neutrons, which then formed elements, which then formed compounds, which then formed cells, etc,etc,etc, till we get to people. Yea right. You need a LOT more faith to believe THAT than God. To put total randomness into a cosmic clothes washer, put it on spin cycle for a billion years, and expect anything of such sophisticated design and order to come out is beyond belief. Even Dr. Flu (one time "leader" of atheism) and Einstein didn't carry those beliefs to the grave with them."

Old 05-12-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Here's a comment from the article that I found interesting. I hadn't even thought about things this way before.

"I tend to agree. The soupy plasma, big bang, complex organisms created out of total chaos is so unlikely (calculate those odds) as to be beyond possible. Scientists would have us believe that a random soup of particles (not even electrons, protons, neutrons at that point of time!), reached some critical mass, went through a sudden and massive expanse, formed electrons, protons, neutrons, which then formed elements, which then formed compounds, which then formed cells, etc,etc,etc, till we get to people. Yea right. You need a LOT more faith to believe THAT than God. To put total randomness into a cosmic clothes washer, put it on spin cycle for a billion years, and expect anything of such sophisticated design and order to come out is beyond belief. Even Dr. Flu (one time "leader" of atheism) and Einstein didn't carry those beliefs to the grave with them."
Now that had to be written by an ignorant religious person...It is just so wrong. By the way Roger Trigg is a professor of theology...Can you say bias?

Old 05-12-2011, 03:05 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
This doesn't in any way support the existence of a supreme being. This could be better explained by the fact that god beliefs have been passed down from many generations starting with the primitive people that didn't understand the world and therefore created explanations involving supernatural beings. This is why a lot of people look at the universe and make supernatural explanations for things they don't understand. It's because that mentality was passed down generation after generation and thus has been more ingrained in many people. Also, the idea that god is innate in human beings is rather questionable if you look at highly secular nations like Japan whose population is at least 65% atheist.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:52 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Oh... is that why every human culture in every part of the world that we have ever known existed practice (or practiced) some kind of religion?

I hope nobody paid money to do that study.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:05 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Now that had to be written by an ignorant religious person...It is just so wrong. By the way Roger Trigg is a professor of theology...Can you say bias?
Oxford Professer an ignorant religious person?

Perhaps you should reconsider.

From the Article:
Trigg is co-director of the three-year Oxford-based project, which incorporated more than 40 different studies by dozens of researchers looking at countries from China to Poland and the United States to Micronesia.

Studies around the world came up with similar findings, including widespread belief in some kind of afterlife and an instinctive tendency to suggest that natural phenomena happen for a purpose.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:22 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times
Religion is Man's fears manifested. What do we fear? Death. Religion quells our fear of death somewhat. We also fear purposelessness. Religion also fills in that hole as well. So yeah I guess it's human nature for us to look for something to help quiet our fears. It's just something in our nature we need to grow beyond.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Oxford Professer an ignorant religious person?

Perhaps you should reconsider.

From the Article:
Trigg is co-director of the three-year Oxford-based project, which incorporated more than 40 different studies by dozens of researchers looking at countries from China to Poland and the United States to Micronesia.

Studies around the world came up with similar findings, including widespread belief in some kind of afterlife and an instinctive tendency to suggest that natural phenomena happen for a purpose.
Where did I call him ignorant? Do you think Roger Trigg wrote this? I don't.

Quote:

Old 05-12-2011, 06:33 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,223,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post

Hmm......what about religions that believe in a god but do not believe that any god created the universe (the universe is eternal)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality