Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:09 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
That's OK, Jeff. I don't believe modern non-Christianity is based on anything except misinterpretations of the Bible and Ministers wanting to put some money in their pockets. Sorry, but I have to be truthful as well.
I'm confused...who do you mean by non-Christianity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
To which quotes are you referring?
"I am the voice of God: anyone who does not like it will be hewn down,"

Then there is Young's threat to outsiders seeking to supplant him, reportedly discovered in church archives: "I will loose the Indians on them, and I will slit their throats from ear to ear." In another sermon, he declared: "If any miserable scoundrels come here, cut their throats."

Of the Mountain Meadow Massacre, direct descendants of those who survived contend that Young knew about and even ordered the massacre.

Of course this is denied, but how do you explain his quotes?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:27 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,053 times
The whole article is just political in nature. Expect it to get a lot worse in the next year as we get closer to election time.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:25 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,523,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I'm confused...who do you mean by non-Christianity?
Sorry, I meant non-LDS Christianity.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:29 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,239,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Wow. That's a whole lot of editorializing packed into a two-sentence introduction of a so-called "news" story. What crap. This article isn't trying to cover news, it's trying to shape the news.
The Independent is one of the best British newspapers, not as good as the Guardian, but I wouldn't call the article "crap".

Old 08-03-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
"I am the voice of God: anyone who does not like it will be hewn down,"

Then there is Young's threat to outsiders seeking to supplant him, reportedly discovered in church archives: "I will loose the Indians on them, and I will slit their throats from ear to ear." In another sermon, he declared: "If any miserable scoundrels come here, cut their throats."

Of the Mountain Meadow Massacre, direct descendants of those who survived contend that Young knew about and even ordered the massacre.

Of course this is denied, but how do you explain his quotes?
It is rumored that Young allowed the Indians to steal cattle, but I can't confirm this allegation one way or the other; however, Young never advocated violence against travelers.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I meant non-LDS Christianity.
So you are saying (in retaliation for my comment, obviously)...

Quote:
That's OK, Jeff. I don't believe modern non-Christianity is based on anything except misinterpretations of the Bible and Ministers wanting to put some money in their pockets. Sorry, but I have to be truthful as well.
Really? You've gone and met the millions of modern Christians and have concluded that they are all misinterpreting the Bible and are Christians only to get rich? That's amazing that you were able to accomplish such a thing, and very sad that all Christians are such horrible people. Also quite surprising to me since your description doesn't fit an awful lot of people.

You know Sarg, I may strongly disagree with Mormon theology and doctrine, but I would never stoop to saying that all of your beliefs are baseless, or that you are greedy, or even call you a so-called Christian.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:26 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,567 times
It's pretty much a one for one parallel. You attack the theological legitimacy of his religion, he parodies by attacking the theological legitimacy of yours.

Quote:
I do believe (and I'm sorry Mormons, but I'm just being truthful) that Mormonism is founded upon an elaborate hoax.
and

Quote:
In my humble opinion, saying a religion is founded on "an elaborate hoax" is fairly close to saying all its "beliefs are baseless."

Quote:
I may strongly disagree with Mormon theology and doctrine, but I would never stoop to saying that all of your beliefs are baseless
In nowhere did either of you innsuate that all adherants were without redeeming values.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:37 PM

The difference is this: I said that I believed Mormonism to be FOUNDED ON an elaborate hoax. Something that happened 200 years ago and has nothing to do with modern, good, Mormon people.

He responded by saying that MODERN NON-LDS Christianity is based on NOTHING but mistranslations (untrue and refers to believers here and now, not 200 years ago) and Ministers wanting to line their own pockets.<--------And that is unfair, untrue and goes beyond what I said. WHICH, I will add, was not intended to be hurtful, just truthful.

Unlike his post.

Last edited by jeffncandace; 08-03-2007 at 02:16 PM..

Old 08-03-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
The difference is this: I said that I believed Mormonism to be FOUNDED ON an elaborate hoax. Something that happened 200 years ago and has nothing to do with modern, good, Mormon people.

He responded by saying that MODERN NON-LDS Christianity is based on NOTHING but mistranslations (untrue and refers to believers here and now, not 200 years ago) and Ministers wanting to line their own pockets.<--------And that is unfair, untrue and goes beyond what I said. WHICH, I will add, was not intended to be hurtful, just truthful.

Unlike his post.
Jeff, you will note that until now, I have never expressed my opinion regarding any other faith. I don't agree with other religions, but you will note that I never claimed them to be a hoax or not true. I listen to what they believe and remain silent as to my opinion. If I have a question regarding a doctrine of the mainstream, I post the question, read the answers, and keep my thoughts regarding the validity of the responses or their religion to myself.

Today, however, is different. I believe it is time for me to declare what I believe. I believe that very good men and women have been led astray by faulty interpretations of the Bible and its doctrines. I believe that modern mainstream Christianity has very little resemblance to the Church that Christ established anciently. I believe that all of these good people will see God and find a reward in God’s Kingdom but will not obtain all of His blessings, because they do not accept the fullness of the Gospel. I love them, and hope they may someday find what I believe to be the truth, but I never tell them their beliefs are based on an elaborate hoax or the faulty doctrines of men.

I do not believe in making money from preaching the word of God. I do not believe the mainstream interpretation of a worker being worth his wages. This does not apply to the Priesthood or ministries. I believe this practice is wrong and leads to the condition we see today, where ministers are making huge sums of money and end up in jail, and even if they do not end up in jail, the image they portray to the public is damaging to Christianity.

Oh, and one last point. I would remind all that even though I vehemently disagreed with her practices, I was unwilling to kick dirt on Tammy Faye’s memory, when most wanted to “examine her ministry.” Well, I believe that was the euphemism someone used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality