Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 02:20 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times

Advertisements

I have heard too many stories by real people who were hurt by Mormons.
Some of them having to do with them being dressed up as Indians, raiding white settlements and killing men and boys and taking the women back with them for breeding. Some were young girls who were later recognized by family members who lived elsewhere.

Then, there were businesses in Salt Lake City which were driven out illegally by surrounding Mormon businesses selling merchandise under cost for that very purpose.

Today, there are Mormon groups going around the country talking to groups of people about investments, startup internet businesses, etc. They started doing this when the government started DNA testing on all those children being supported by our tax dollars, so that the dads would have to pay for the support of all those kids. Now, to provide for their families, they actually have to work to replace the welfare that has been partially taken from them.

Swindling non-Mormons is called 'bleeding the beast', and is perfectly ok with some of them, evidently. Gambling and other activities in Vegas, though sinful, had been startups under Mormon money from Mormon banks. So, they have no problem taking money from sinning and encouraging others to sin (by association). All that matters is their own.

Read the book, 'Under the Banner of Heaven', which reveals a lot about this cult.

Geeze, and have you heard of the Celestial Marriage? After death, the husband and wife are given a whole planet to rule over?

I ain't making this stuff up, folks. Really!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 5,432 times
I thought we had been viewing movies about those groups for quite some time. To Kill a Mockingbird is a classic. What about A Time to Kill....and etc.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:54 PM

122 posts, read 385,243 times
I am a non-Morman living in a very Morman town. I see nothing but kindhearted hardworking people. There could be a few extreme instances, but as a whole Mormans set a very good example of clean living. Referring to them as a "cult" reveals your derogative intent.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:21 PM

You're right. PBS did a 'special' on them. It seems, in that program, every town they were kicked out of had a pretty good reason - from cheating 'outsiders' in business to a concerted effort to take over the town politically and passing laws that only favored them to the detriment of the natives.

When people have a bad reputation, sometimes it means that they have earned it. I am talking about those involved in politics and business. I am sure that everyday people living under fascism and communism were really nice people. I am sure your average Chinese is just great, and in no way reflects the evil of those in power.

I certainly mean no harm to your 'everyday' Mormon.

I am just interested in religion, and most of the large religions of the world do not act 'cultish', but there is so much information about Mormons that just plain smells.

From that book, about Joeseph Smith, 'The line separatign religion from superstition can b indistinct, and this was especially true during the theologial chaos of the Second Great Awakening in which Joseph came of age. The future prophet's spiritual curiosity moved hi to explore far and wide on both sides of that blurry line, including an extended foray into the necromantic arts. More specifically, he devoted much time and energy to attempting to divine the location of buried treasure by means of black magic and crystal gazing, activities learned from his father. . . . . . Joseph's flirtation wieht folk magic as a yound man had a direst and unmistakable bearing on the religion he would soon usher forth.'

'His career as a scryer - taht is to say, a diviner, or crystal gazer - was launched. Soon his necrronmantic skills were sufficiently in demant that he was able to command respectable fees to find buried treasure for property owners.'

In March `826 in People of the state of New York v. Joseph Smith, he was found to be guilty of being a 'disorderly person and an imposter. At this time and the 6 years prior he had not managed to unearth any other treasuer.

This same imposter founded the religion on the basis of golden plates given to him by some angel (Moroni) written in some extinct language called 'reformed Egyptian', a language that has never been seen to have existed by any scholar. Only Joe could decipher the writing by a pair of magic specticals that the angel gave him. Unfortunately the original golden plates were somehow lost, but that's ok, because with the magic eyeglasses, our guy Joe had already translated them.

THere is another book in my library. It is written by a woman who was a Mormon and whose father was high up in the group. Like Scientology - shall I call them both cults, or will that offend? - as you rise your way up the ladder of the hierarchy you are given 'secrets' commensurate with your new position. Also as with Scientology, when you get to the top, you are told the final secret, that God is a Space Alien.

She swears this is true. I believe that they believe this. It falls right in line with the Celestial Marriage and the ruling of a planet that I mentioned earlier.

Sorry if this is offensive to some. It is the truth and it really offends me that this is thought of as a 'regular' religion. It is none of my business what people believe, but when a possible future President of my country believes such things, I think folks ought to know about it, don't you?

Old 09-01-2007, 05:38 PM

There are a lot of religious beliefs that I find tough to swallow. Adam and Eve, the world being only 6000 years old, Noah's ark, ect..ect... I really don't care what a Morman believes, nor do I care what a Baptist believes; As long as they don't condemn the beliefs of others.

Mormans don't believe non-Mormons go to hell. I appreciate that.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:39 PM

Yes, I agree. I usually adopt a 'live and let live' attitude.

As I said before, it is only when there is a possibility of someone from a particular faith influencing my life, and the destiny of my country - and particularly when the 'outside' world knows so little about them - that I feel it is my responsibility to share what scant knowledge I have.

The fact is, that this is very pertinant, for there is a very real history of them bilking non-believers. This, I find very troubling, indeed.

Frankly, I don't know what religion my neighbors are, and don't much care. They have no power to influence me or my decisions, but if they ran for office, I think something like that may have formed their view of the world and those not of their faith, and should be a matter of public record.

John Kennedy was asked, point blank, if his decisions would at all be influenced by the Pope. I think it is fair game to ask Mormons running for office if they believe in this 'Celestial Marriage' stuff. Also, is not the leader of their church supposed to be a living prophet and his rulings bear the pronouncement of God? I would certainly like to know if old Mit believes that, wouldn't you?

You see, because someone puts in a nice appearance, we tend to accept them as 'normal', but you never really know, and with such strange beliefs in that religion, I think people should be appraised of the problems that might arise and ask the proper questions up front.

People will never know what questions to ask if someone does not bring these topics up.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:43 PM

Public officials are generally good at not allowing their personal beliefs affect their decision making. Look at Mitts record up to this point. He hasn't done anything strange. Nixon was a Quaker of all things. I couldn't tell it from his policies.

I was just re-reading an American history book, written by a Harvard professor, named Stephan Thernstrom, entitled "A History of the American People". He wrote about an insident in which the usually passive Puritans attacked an Indian village, killing many women and children, then giving all the credit of their conquest to God (pg 50). Many religions have made mistakes during their early existance. None of these historical facts means that we should be reluctant to elect Protestant Christians to office. I recommend taking into account the candidates record when he/she held other offices, rather than focus on their religion. Do your research on Mr. Romney's record if you are unsure about him.

As far as your statement about "them bilking non-believers"? That is a blanket statement that paints all Mormons with the same brush. I haven't felt bilked yet. And don't think that the few Mormons who do bilk have a corner on the bilking market.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:38 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,812 times
Live and let live. Why bash a whole group of people based on one act committed over 100 years ago?

Old 09-01-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
Live and let live. Why bash a whole group of people based on one act committed over 100 years ago?
Good comment. I don't think GG intends to bash all Mormons, but GG is actually doing that. GG was fed with some disinformation about Mormons (and Scientologists) in general, and is concerned about electing one as President.

I guess I'm trying to point out that Mormons (Lds) are like anyone else. You have different degrees of gung-ho-ness with any religion. Most Mormons seen realistic to me. I'm sure there are a few that arn't, just like Christians, Jews, Buddhists, and any other religion or non-religion for that matter.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:25 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throx View Post
Good comment. I don't think GG intends to bash all Mormons, but GG is actually doing that. GG was fed with some disinformation about Mormons (and Scientologists) in general, and is concerned about electing one as President.

I guess I'm trying to point out that Mormons (Lds) are like anyone else. You have different degrees of gung-ho-ness with any religion. Most Mormons seen realistic to me. I'm sure there are a few that arn't, just like Christians, Jews, Buddhists, and any other religion or non-religion for that matter.

I think the people who are making a fuss over Mitt Romney just don't like him because he's a Republican, but they use his religion as an excuse.

There is a Mormon Democrat, but one seems to make a fuss about him.

Growing up my parents were close friends with some LDS's, they had kids close the the age of my brother and I. So to me they aren't weird, or different. I know that they are just good, honest people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality