U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 05:30 AM

29,214 posts, read 52,478,133 times

Advertisements

Just as the Mormon Republican Mitt Romney emerges as a major contender for the US presidency, a blood-soaked new film and a high-profile trial are exposing the dark side of his religion. And suddenly, the biggest obstacle on his road to the White House is the faith he holds so dear. Rupert Cornwell reports Published: 24 May 2007

It was 11 September, a crystal-clear morning with the first hint of autumn crispness, as though a cynical, mocking God had set the stage for what would be the worst act of religiously inspired terrorism in US history.

The darker side of Mormonism - Independent Online Edition > Americas (http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article2579328.ece - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 05:36 AM

38,704 posts, read 97,166,482 times
Wow. That's a whole lot of editorializing packed into a two-sentence introduction of a so-called "news" story. What crap. This article isn't trying to cover news, it's trying to shape the news.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:51 AM

7,102 posts, read 26,155,130 times
And none of the Christians on the Crusades ever killed a solitary soul, did they? What about the Inquisition? Oh, I forgot. Those were the Roman Catholics, not Christians. This is just more recent.

And what about all the good Baptists and Methodists that owned and whipped slaves in the South? Are they planning to bring that up too? The Bible seems to approve of slavery.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:55 AM

3,490 posts, read 2,930,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
And none of the Christians on the Crusades ever killed a solitary soul, did they? What about the Inquisition? Oh, I forgot. Those were the Roman Catholics, not Christians. This is just more recent.

And what about all the good Baptists and Methodists that owned and whipped slaves in the South? Are they planning to bring that up too? The Bible seems to approve of slavery.
Tried reading the thread...too many big words.

Seriously though, Padgett makes a good point. However, I do believe (and I'm sorry Mormons, but I'm just being truthful) that Mormonism is founded upon an elaborate hoax.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:56 AM

8,672 posts, read 21,483,651 times
I also don't put too much stock in what certain members of a group did a long time ago. I don't think this necessarily reflects on mormonism. I think a group need to be evaluated according to the doctrine it promotes...(which in the case of mormonism is very troublesome IMO.) But I don't think a movie such as this should cause us to form opinions regarding a denomination.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:57 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,404,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Wow. That's a whole lot of editorializing packed into a two-sentence introduction of a so-called "news" story. What crap. This article isn't trying to cover news, it's trying to shape the news.
Yep, I believe crap covers it nicely. I wonder when someone is going to do a story on Methodist, Baptist, and Protestant men who were members of the KKK and killed innocent blacks or burned down black churches as thieves in the night. Hmm, probably never. Those guys were just individuals, but if a Mormon is involved, you can believe the impartial Press will tell you the whole Church is involved.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:59 AM

3,490 posts, read 2,930,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
Yep, I believe crap covers it nicely. I wonder when someone is going to do a story on Methodist, Baptist, and Protestant men who were members of the KKK and killed innocent blacks or burned down black churches as thieves in the night. Hmm, probably never. Those guys were just individuals, but if a Mormon is involved, you can believe the impartial Press will tell you the whole Church is involved.
So were the direct quotes by Bingham Young completely false?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I do believe (and I'm sorry Mormons, but I'm just being truthful) that Mormonism is founded upon an elaborate hoax.
That's OK, Jeff. I don't believe modern non-Christianity is based on anything except misinterpretations of the Bible and Ministers wanting to put some money in their pockets. Sorry, but I have to be truthful as well.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
So were the direct quotes by Bingham Young completely false?
To which quotes are you referring?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:04 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,454,577 times
Just curious about your motivation for posting that "news" article. Whatever the truth about the controversial Mountain Meadows Massacre (which the movie September Dawn holds no monopoly on), how does that tie to a Mormon presidential candidate 150 years later?

Related to that, could you please specify the statute of limitations on religious atrocities? That way I can tell if Catholic candidates are absolved of the crusades and inquisitions, or if I should still hold them culpable for events centuries before they were born.

By the way, though not released yet, the few reviews I’ve seen about "September Dawn" have been abysmal.

Slant Magazine - Film Review: September Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality